GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Expands the APR Plus Limited Powertrain Warranty Program

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
If you read between the lines in the booklet it says that you have to take it to an APR Plus dealer and are liable to get it there, no matter the distance, and there is nothing regarding the downtime for the vehicle. So if it takes them 5 days to process or get parts, you are on your own during that time.

Correct. You're on your own for getting it to a repair center. We don't include a rental at this price.

Also parts can be new, reman or "like condition and quality" which translates to a used turbo with similar or less miles is acceptable to replace a blown turbo covered under warranty.

We will not use used parts to repair a vehicle. This call out for “like condition or quality” refers to simpler parts that have aftermarket OEM replacements available. A great example is an oil filter. You can buy a VW oil filter or you can buy one of many OE replacements.

Using the term "Licensed Repair Facility" as a defined term is very misleading because there is a true definition of that in the automotive industry and it is not "APR Plus Dealer" .
Does that mean that not all APR dealers are APR Plus dealers? Is there a differentiation?

Per the warranty booklet:

“Licensed Repair Facility” – Any Authorized APR Plus Dealer is eligible to make repairs on a
vehicle with APR Plus

Also they will require proof of ALL service, including service outside the manufacturer recommendations. I.E. manual calls for oil changes every 10k, this booklet says 5k. Lots of little nuances in it, but anyone considering this, be forewarned that a loosely written 6 page booklet would not be something I would put full confidence in and drive freely thinking everything is covered without issue like the factory warranty on a stock car.

Yes, we put this in there to prevent neglect. Some people never change their oil. If you don't change you oil and something breaks, we're not covering it.

Keep in mind that the dealer/VW can void your entire powertrain warranty for modifying the ECU. That means that if any powertrain item fails, regardless of if it is caused by the ECU, VW can deny it.

You vehicle only comes with a limited powertrain warranty from vag, not an "entire powertrain warranty."

APR states they will only cover certain things, does that mean there is a gap in coverage between factory and what APR will cover?

The warranty booklet states all items we cover.

Exclusions such as "misuse or abuse"? What the hell does that mean?

Standing on a rev limiter for several minutes, over rev, things like that. Same goes for your factory warranty. They con't cover abuse and misuse.

Then it says it does not cover anything from an event, so if you track your car you and there is proof you can assume your claim would be denied.

Correct, just like the factory warranty.

I wouldn't be shocked if something like putting your car on a dyno would void this, and I believe the computers can tell if the front wheels were rolling for an extended period and the rears were not.

We don't void the limited powertrain warranty for putting your car on the dyno. If you put it on the dyno with no fans, and something breaks, well, yeah, that's on you.

Any Non-APR powertrain upgrades, I wonder if that includes and intake, or simple things like a DV.

Absolutely. We warranty our parts. We don't warranty parts we haven't tried. Just like your factory warranty.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I do want to go on record and say this is AWESOME. The questions are necessary to completely understand how things will work should an issue arise. Not trying to bring it down.

So far, I'm on the fence. Closest APR Plus dealer is 48 miles away and something catastrophic would be a MAJOR PITA if I had to take it to that dealer for service. Something I still have a lot of thinking and questions before I commit.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Arin, will there be an 87 octane version for the 1.8T?

Will any APR plus for the 1.8T provide left foot braking?

thanks!

Great idea to offer this

EDIT: according to APR website, the tune has the same HP and Torque specs as the 87 tune stage 1. Excellent!

Arin can you confirm along with left foot braking?

We went with the vehicle's minimum fuel requirements:

1.8T (Golf) - 87 minimum
2.0T (GTI) - 91 minimum
2.0T (R) - 91 minimum

In a pinch, you can get away with altering that, but I'd advise against it. Conversely, the tune has a little wiggle room to go up should you use a better fuel.

As for LFB, it's included.

Pingers

Ready to race!
Towing / car:

- Check your insurance policy. You may have towing and rental services in your contract.
- Triple A may be a good option. They provide card members with a couple hundred miles of towing.

AAA is awesome and very affordable. One tow and it's paid for itself. :)

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
We went with the vehicle's minimum fuel requirements:

1.8T (Golf) - 87 minimum
2.0T (GTI) - 91 minimum
2.0T (R) - 91 minimum

In a pinch, you can get away with altering that, but I'd advise against it. Conversely, the tune has a little wiggle room to go up should you use a better fuel.

As for LFB, it's included.
cool, I would go 87 tune anyhow. Set and forget!

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
If you put 93 octane in would it match the numbers on the low torque 93? Since the plus is equivalent to the low torque 91 only difference is 93 octane ?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi Arin,
So if I have an extended warranty to 100k will I be covered for the remaining length of my warranty?

Thanks

That's not a factory warranty. Even if you bought the "VW endorsed" warranty it's through Fidelity, which is a private company in Florida.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
AAA is awesome and very affordable. One tow and it's paid for itself. :)

There's more than one plan for buying AAA. It costs considerably more for the option that pays for more than a short tow. And be advised, unless things have changed, AAA does not come out if it's snowing.

And AFAIK the only way your car insurance pays for a rental car is when it's part of your collision or comp claim. I want to know which insurance company Arin has, which pays otherwise.

My towing option on my car insurance pays up to $75. That's hookup and 5 miles here.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Does APR's warranty company buy insurance that will pay for claims if they go out of business?

VW dealers can't CPO a tuned car. Is the APR warranty transferable to a new owner? If so, what's the cost?

richard_rsp

This sounds pretty good for the price, Arin!

Perhaps I missed this, but if I was to go with the APR Plus tune and then later decide to upgrade to Stage II, would it be available at the same price as if I was upgrading from a Stage I tune ($149 for 1.8T)? Obviously, I would lose the powertrain warranty, but just looking at potential upgradeability after the powertrain is up.

Pingers

Ready to race!
There's more than one plan for buying AAA. It costs considerably more for the option that pays for more than a short tow. And be advised, unless things have changed, AAA does not come out if it's snowing.

And AFAIK the only way your car insurance pays for a rental car is when it's part of your collision or comp claim. I want to know which insurance company Arin has, which pays otherwise.

My towing option on my car insurance pays up to $75. That's hookup and 5 miles here.

I have AAA Plus which covers Up to FOUR 100 mile tows per year. I pay less than $100 for my membership a year. I'll rephrase my statement;

One tow (per year) and you've more than paid for your membership.

Also, my car doesn't leave Florida so snow isn't something I'm concerned about, ever. :cool:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Although you will be more than likely saying bye bye ms American pie to your factory warranty. This option from APR is unprecedented guys. This is a golden age for the mqb platform.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have AAA Plus which covers Up to FOUR 100 mile tows per year. I pay less than $100 for my membership a year. I'll rephrase my statement;

One tow (per year) and you've more than paid for your membership.

Also, my car doesn't leave Florida so snow isn't something I'm concerned about, ever. :cool:

That's reasonable. Hopefully you'll never need it.