GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Expands the APR Plus Limited Powertrain Warranty Program

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I guess man... I’ll just say the collective wisdom of this entire forum is that they can’t be detected. I don’t have one, so not trying to make myself feel better somehow. But if they can be detected, and you have one, the deed is done, so I would guess you were at peace with taking that risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess too. I've also read the collective wisdom that existed on Vortex prior to the surprise that "flash back to stock" can be detected. In that case, what was assumed to be impossible was suddenly logical. And VW was able to catch it for years leading up to it. So much for collective wisdom.

The collective wisdom on many car forums wrt to mods (and I remind you that vendors who sell mods finance such forums} is often wishful thinking.

Doesn't mean 'they definitely see piggies', but buyer beware. That's all.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I guess man... I’ll just say the collective wisdom of this entire forum is that they can’t be detected. I don’t have one, so not trying to make myself feel better somehow. But if they can be detected, and you have one, the deed is done, so I would guess you were at peace with taking that risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's best to just always look at it as pay to play and anything fixed by warranty when it shouldn't is just a bonus.. Just because the guy selling it says it's impossible to detect doesn't mean it's impossible to detect. How many new ones do you think he would sell if VW published a statement saying they can detect if it was used? Probably not a lot.. you go that route because they want to keep their warranty.

They've been great for the community but i don't believe VW can be that ignorant/stupid.

I'm always a skeptical person, but that's my 2c.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The collective wisdom on many car forums wrt to mods (and I remind you that vendors who sell mods finance such forums} is often wishful thinking.

Just wanted to input that of all the forums I've been on, this one doesn't seem to delete threads, edit posts, or mislead the community because of who is paying them to advertise, which is why I stick around here the most. Whereas we know of others that definitely do.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
not sure what you mean but I'm simply suggesting "no one can prove it" as no one outside of VW really knows unless they've unencrypted the ecu software completely and understand that code completely.

It could very well be true that piggies can't be detected but we may never know either.

But isn't that trying to prove a negative?

Anyone with a VCDS and JB4 want to see what their Long Term Fuel Trims are? Then set JB4 to bypass and check after 5 minutes of driving to see if they're back to stock?

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
But isn't that trying to prove a negative?

Anyone with a VCDS and JB4 want to see what their Long Term Fuel Trims are? Then set JB4 to bypass and check after 5 minutes of driving to see if they're back to stock?
maybe more like prove non existence of something out of your control.

could be bs scare tactics but service advisors have told me along the lines of 'you have an expense engine repair, ecu may store codes that can be seen with a deep scan that suggest piggyback'

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

could be bs scare tactics but service advisors have told me along the lines of 'you have an expense engine repair, ecu may store codes that can be seen with a deep scan that suggest piggyback'

That I don't buy. "Deep Scan", "May" and "Suggest" says BS to me. The only values I heard of that are stored are LTFT's. They could be a little "higher" from extra fuel (or is it lower?) if you drive hard all of the time. I wouldn't expect a mild tune like Dinan, which is only 4 PSI additive max to cause an sudden engine or transmission failure. The values should be back to normal by the time you drive to the dealer. Sounds like VW gave them a script.

Ask George Smooth. JB4 can make a lot of boost, and he's had his car scanned by a dealer.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
That I don't buy. "Deep Scan", "May" and "Suggest" says BS to me. The only values I heard of that are stored are LTFT's. They could be a little "higher" from extra fuel (or is it lower?) if you drive hard all of the time. I wouldn't expect a mild tune like Dinan, which is only 4 PSI additive max to cause an sudden engine or transmission failure. The values should be back to normal by the time you drive to the dealer. Sounds like VW gave them a script.

Ask George Smooth. JB4 can make a lot of boost, and he's had his car scanned by a dealer.
agree it could be bs. but it could be true too. you don't have to believe it, no worries.

agree about Dinan. low levels may make it less likely to cause an issue.

when George blows up his engine and then has it scanned and VW covers it under warranty, that would be a good test perhaps. would he tell us if they didn't cover it?

how many people with tunes of any sort ask their SA after work is done: "hey, you didn't happen to td1 my car this time, did you? Just wondering..no particular reason for asking"

@@@@@@@@@@

but to get back to how all of this relates to the thread, will APR forgive prior sins under their warranty or not?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

Have you guys ever asked the service advisers what a "deep scan" is? Just a heads up it's very similar to blinker fluid. Like when I plug in ODIS, it doesn't prompt me "Do you want to do a shallow scan or a deep scan?". It just scans the car.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Have you guys ever asked the service advisers what a "deep scan" is? Just a heads up it's very similar to blinker fluid. Like when I plug in ODIS, it doesn't prompt me "Do you want to do a shallow scan or a deep scan?". It just scans the car.

I just lol'ed at shallow scan haha.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf

Right, and +% LTFT is adding fuel long term, -% is decreasing when too rich. It should return after idling and driving a bit.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
no and I hope you're right. my original point is no one's proven that VW can't see piggies.

made this point because someone repeated what they heard, not what they knew. didn't want to see the question on this thread (asked by myself and others) wrt to whether or not apr has a position on past mods, particularly piggies, die. sorry if the point seems a bit belabored.

I do not believe anyone's proven that they can't be seen. I would think those that could shed light with authority (that they can't see) would be breaking their nda. just my 2c on that.

I'm at 30k miles. If APR gives a positive response, I'll pay an extra $400 for a powertrain warranty and get this tune. If they say no or don't respond, then I'll wait till 60k and get the tune....or some other tune. assuming they will warranty without clarity is the worst option, for me at least: I could find out later I'm not covered either from VW (since I would now be flashed) or APR.

no hard feelings either way with APR on the answer to the question, I want to be their customer. just trying to understand if I'm getting my money's worth for the extra $400.

Last edited:

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Will someone with a JB1/JB4/Dinan/NPM hurry up and blow their engine so they can test this deep scan theory. With the amount of guys running piggybacks it should be happening any day now.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Great question and one I would like to know since I have run a jb1 and now a NPM , and was looking at this this tune? Arron where you at?

Sent via Pide Piper compression app

kevingt

Do these ever go on sale? I’m itching to get this done but might hold out if it’s ever discounted.

Also, there aren’t VW apr dealers near me, but there are a few APR dealers (private shops). Are the latter APR dealers where I would take my car for warranty work if denied by VW?

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Do these ever go on sale? I’m itching to get this done but might hold out if it’s ever discounted.

Also, there aren’t VW apr dealers near me, but there are a few APR dealers (private shops). Are the latter APR dealers where I would take my car for warranty work if denied by VW?

I remember emailing an APR rep regarding warranty work with the APR+. If I understood correctly, as long as it's installed by and Authorized APR dealer/independent shop, then that shop (or any another authorized independent shop) can do the warranty repairs.