GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Shout out to Mr. Sands the Sandman! Generous, honest, and reliable. Thank you for my impeccably-packed plate cover!

That looks familiar!
Hope it works out and you like it.
Have a safe Christmas.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Cabin Filter - Pre Filter Install

I first learned of this mod from a forum member who owned a Light blue Golf Wagon. I do not recall his forum name but I know he was outside the USA. Most of my info I have is from Forum Member "SABO" who hooked me up with a new Pre Filter Housing and 1 filter. This mod is not that hard to do but might be a big help in keeping the cabin filter fresh and reduce any bad smells long term in the car. What the pre filter collects, bugs, pollen, etc. will be more outside the car and might help keep the smell out also. This snorkel housing is located under the cowl, bottom of the windshield on the passenger side.

Giving "Sabo" the credit here is a link to his build page where he has listed the part info and link to purchase.

Not a hard or costly not.
Filter housing is under $20.
Filters are around $4.
Worth a test.

Old Housing
IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

Your cars vibrator.
IMG_2987.JPG

AC intake opening - something to clean.
The pre-filter is within 4 inches of the main cabin filter.
IMG_2988.JPG

Filter housing compare.
IMG_2990.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG

Temperature Sensor - Hole
The new housing has a larger hole. Had to help this out.
IMG_2992.JPG

Use two way auto tape to make for a tighter fit. Tape does not hold well to the plastic but friction fit should hold. Will keep an eye on it. You will need to secure this more when you move to new housing.
IMG_2996.JPG

New housing bolted in.
IMG_3003.JPG

Filter in place.
The filter is not water proof. I put a drop of water on it and it soaked it right up. If we could find this filter made in the same material as a Shop Vac washable filter it would be great.
IMG_3005.JPG

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Front Suspension - Spring Noise

For the first year I ran the OE Springs. Then had my VW dealer install the Eibach Pro Kit Springs and at the same time the ECS Tuning Spring install kits front and rear. I had new bearings and spring mounts installed due to suggestions from other members to help cut down on spring noise issues after install. For 6-8 months the springs ran fine. Then they started to develop a groan sound much like an old wooden bed on larger bumps and dips. The passenger side had the larger issue.

Links to Lowering Spring Install
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=292549&postcount=401

At my 30,000 mile service had dealer inspect the springs with no issues found. They lubed the spring mounts and for 24 hours it was better, but then slowly came back. This past weekend I removed the right front wheel and checked all I could see with no issues identified. I lubed all the rubber bushing on suspension and steering. I sprayed up toward the top of the spring and the bottom mount also.

While I was doing my "Pre Filter" mod I also removed the cap at the top of the front spring under the cowl.
This cap lets one access the top of the shock/spring mount.

Will finish in a minute.
Back!
Sorry.
We need a draft screen that one can save and come back.

In the first picture below you can see the upper spring mount thru the access hole.
The ECS Spring mount is heavier rubber coated much like the mount from 034, from what I can tell.
I think the sound I hear is rubber rubbing on a metal part, maybe the shock bolted up in the spring mount, or the mount contact with the car frame.

So with the cap open I sprayed just along the outside of the hole all around. The hope is some lube coats the rubber than is rubbing. I purchased two types of lube as shown in the second picture.
I also have Sailkote that I think would work.

Both items pictured are clear when sprayed and dry quickly. Purchased at Lowe's.
The Super Slick Stuff, has an orange cleaner smell and dries with little film showing.

The Dry Lube, blue can, has only one issue. When it dries it leaves a white film that looks like road salt. Not the best but one good thing is it wipes off easily from locations you do not what it.

I think both work. I used the Dry Lube on the top mount coming in from the removed cap.
I sprayed all rubber bushings in the wheel well area with the Super Slick Stuff.

Went for a drive. "SILENCE"
Three days later still good.
Mechanically my springs drive good.
I think the sound is rubbing rubber on the painted frame that the mounts are bolted on.
Not sure how long the lube will last. Will monitor.
If at least a month, that would be ok to deal with.
The cowl is easy to lift and spray.
I think the most benefit was the spray thru the hole from the top side.
Just hope this does not mess with bolt tightness. Will keep an eye on it.

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_2998.JPG

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Noticed that ECS Tuning has the frameless mirror for sale - $277
Look under interior, then mirror section.

In person this looks good.
Not sure if it help see any better.

Only certain models.

View attachment 12800

Interesting...

For SE, SE with driver's assistance package, SEL, or SEL with driver's assistance package only

This interior rearview mirror features a modern frameless design, electronic compass, and auto-dimming functionality all designed for your driving convenience. The 3 integrating HomeLink® buttons can be programmed to operate most garage door openers. See your local Volkswagen dealer for additional model compatibility information and detailed pricing. Not compatible with models that come equipped with HomeLink®, Auto-Dimming or rain sensors.

So I have an SE with DAP. Good there. But look at the end. Not compatible if you have rain sensor. Pretty sure that's standard on the SE? So, you can't have it with the SE....but it says only for the SE....COMFUSED!

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Thanks again sandman!! My buddies is super happy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
100,000 Visits!

Wow!

I always appreciate everyone stopping by and taking a look.:)
I have learned all I know on the MK7 line from all of you and the links you post for us to read. Hopefully I have passed on this info, so other members can learn and complete mods as well or better than they went for me. I like my GTI very much and being able to communicate and learn from the forum has made it that much more enjoyable. The Forum helped fill the 6 month void while I waited for my car to arrive. Even with all that info I found out there was so much about my car I had to learn in person.

Thanks you all your knowledge, help and entertainment!;)

A lot of work.
Time for a breather with some refreshments and a snack!

IMG_3010.JPG

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sound from Front Spring Bearing.

Currently I have a rumble when making low speed turns.
Dealer says the issue is one of the front spring bearings.
I had the dealer (1 year ago) install Eibach Pro Kit and at same time use ECS Tuning spring install kit. It had new heavy duty mounts and OE bearings.

I have sent some PM's to other Forum members trying to gather some info. Below is some info and questions I am working on.

1 year seems fast on a bearing?
Are there race quality bearings? Heavy duty? I only see VW OE bearings.
034 Tuning makes a heavy duty spring mount but the bearing they show is OE.
Maybe I had a bad bearing?
I know lowering can increase this wear but I have also heard issues with this part on stock GTI's.
Is this a part that will just need to be changed out in order to maintain quite ride?

Eibach makes a "torsion release bearing" that is much like the VW bearing but this one is thin and looks like it could be stacked. Not sure if this was stacked on the OE bearing if it would help prolong the life.
I am trying to get with them to ask about this issue and if they have any options.

torsion_release_bearing_title.jpg

Any thoughts?

Link to some info on a different sound I had with the springs, I think related to the rubber coating mounts. This was more of a rubber rubbing sound. So far what I did in the link below has helped. Watching to see for how long.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=360982&postcount=605

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Free for Christmas!

Wheel Locks have been asked for.
I still have the two sets of wheel locks.
They are a great item. Better than the locks from ECS for my Austin wheels.

Shift Boot has been asked for!
I also have the suede shift boot.
If you want to see installed Forum Member "SHFT" showed the results on his build thread.
He installed same boot a good while.
That looks so good maybe I should keep it.
Link here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=79916&postcount=65

Link to my original giveaway post.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=357552&postcount=586

Last edited:

Jlungo

Ready to race!
Wheel Locks have been asked for.
I still have the two sets of wheel locks.
They are a great item. Better than the locks from ECS for my Austin wheels.

Shift Boot has been asked for!
I also have the suede shift boot.
If you want to see installed Forum Member "SHFT" showed the results on his build thread.
He installed same boot a good while.
That looks so good maybe I should keep it.
Link here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=79916&postcount=65

Link to my original giveaway post.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=357552&postcount=586
What kind of rumble are you getting? Almost like a creaking noise?

And is ur suede boot ur selling used or new?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
What kind of rumble are you getting? Almost like a creaking noise?

And is ur suede boot ur selling used or new?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Shift boot is new. Only out of bag once when I looked at it.
A Forum member has asked for it and is on the way to them now. Sorry.

Front right Spring noise.
The noise is front, right side toward the top of the fender. It is a low click, click, click sound that has been identified from the dealer as coming from the upper spring bearing. It does sound like the bearing ring clicking as you turn the wheel at low speeds.

The dealer says the early wear is due to spring lowering.
I know this might not help but 10 months seems fast.
I have not heard others with this issue and I am only lowered 1 inch.

I am looking to see if there are any other bearing options.
I also plan to talk to a Euro aftermarket shop to get their input.

No plan yet but I want to replace in January.

The first bearing is like an OE.
The second is a SKF bearing cut away.
I do not think the SKF is for our car, but this cam up when searching a part number forum Member "Breaking Badly" provided.
I will try to contact SKF directly after holidays to see what they might or might not offer.

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3025.JPG