GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
Did you reuse the strut bearings when you got the springs installed?

davidk1175

Ready to race!
You should pull it a part reset the spring and replace the bearing. That's my recommendation, I have done a lot of suspension and you must pay attention to the positioning of the springs when tightening the upper bolt.

Shops like to do it with a air gun and that miss positions the bearing and preloads tension on the spring. Once it's driven that way it is permanent.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
You should pull it a part reset the spring and replace the bearing. That's my recommendation, I have done a lot of suspension and you must pay attention to the positioning of the springs when tightening the upper bolt.

Shops like to do it with a air gun and that miss positions the bearing and preloads tension on the spring. Once it's driven that way it is permanent.

Would this be noticed from the beginning?
I have been driving for 10 months with no issues until the last 2 weeks now. Had my VW Dealer install the springs, so not saying they did not do it all correct but they would be better than I.
I will contact the Euro Shop in Chattanooga and talk to them about option. I want to see what they suggest and then let them look at it. From others they get a good reference so want to give them a try.

After Holiday's I will talk to them. Also want to see if they know of better bearing options.

Thanks for info, will keep it in mind and I work thru the issue.

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
No.
I purchased and had the dealer install the ECS Spring Install kit.
This kit has a heavy duty mounts - as advertised, and a new OE bearings.

Oh okay I bought and installed the same kit except I went with VWR springs.

I really hope your bearings didn't already go out only after 10 months, that is no very heavy duty if you ask me. Almost makes me worry about mine. I kept all my stock components just in case.

Are they sure the noise isn't coming from another source like sway bar or other mounting points that may have been broken loose at install like ball joints?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

I really hope your bearings didn't already go out only after 10 months, that is no very heavy duty if you ask me. Almost makes me worry about mine. I kept all my stock components just in case.

Are they sure the noise isn't coming from another source like sway bar or other mounting points that may have been broken loose at install like ball joints?

I will never say never.
But also had the mechanic who installed the springs check.
His conclusion was spring bearing.
I will also talk to Autohaus in Chattanooga and see what they think.

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
I will never say never.
But also had the mechanic who installed the springs check.
His conclusion was spring bearing.
I will also talk to Autohaus in Chattanooga and see what they think.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you !

I would make sure everything is torqued down to spec including Sway bar end links, Ball joints, Spindle housing, The 3 top strut bolts, and The top middle strut nut. You can check the 3 top strut bolts yourself, they are easily accessible and they are just torqued down to hand tight ~25 ftlbs.

davidk1175

Ready to race!
Would this be noticed from the beginning?
I have been driving for 10 months with no issues until the last 2 weeks now. Had my VW Dealer install the springs, so not saying they did not do it all correct but they would be better than I.
I will contact the Euro Shop in Chattanooga and talk to them about option. I want to see what they suggest and then let them look at it. From others they get a good reference so want to give them a try.

After Holiday's I will talk to them. Also want to see if they know of better bearing options.

Thanks for info, will keep it in mind and I work thru the issue.
It would slowly wear and depending on how you drive it. If you drive it like you stole it everyday probably 3 days to a week. Probably a month to 3 if you treat it right.

davidk1175

Ready to race!

If it's bound sideways on installation, stock would last about 1 to 3 months. Ten months later that's actually really good. VW mechanics are not exempt from cutting corners on a install to get to lunch break or a coffee break. There's no way to prove this after 11 months of use. The spring has already repositioned 1000 times and it will look like uneven wear. They will blame it on the non oem manufacturers.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
It would slowly wear and depending on how you drive it. If you drive it like you stole it everyday probably 3 days to a week. Probably a month to 3 if you treat it right.

I would bet I am one of the more conservative GTI owners on the forum.
Maybe it is wear. But less than a year is not much life.
I think if even still stock it would not do much better.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you !

I would make sure everything is torqued down to spec including Sway bar end links, Ball joints, Spindle housing, The 3 top strut bolts, and The top middle strut nut. You can check the 3 top strut bolts yourself, they are easily accessible and they are just torqued down to hand tight ~25 ftlbs.

Thanks.
I will check them.

davidk1175

Ready to race!
I would bet I am one of the more conservative GTI owners on the forum.
Maybe it is wear. But less than a year is not much life.
I think if even still stock it would not do much better.
That's not normal wear though. I swapped my MK6 for Koni FSD/Eibach kit at 3000 miles and reused the OE parts. Relubed, inspected, cleaned and properly installed and torqued. I had 50k miles on the car when I traded it and never heard a noise. Proper installation of OE parts with aftermarket spring seats and bearings works fine if done correctly. Attention to detail is everything.

If you have spherical endlinks if can move the bearings under tension and they click, the bearings are bad. I was a aircraft mechanic for 18.5 years, flight controls on aircraft use the exact same style bearing. They are known points of failure and regularly fail. I wish I could explain but I don't buy those type of race products. Unfortunately they are sold to enthusiasts but are truly meant for the track. Race teams use them twice and throw them away. They are not meant for long term use especially without grease fittings. Of course that's provided you have those products. They require rubber boots and grease fittings or protection and regular maintenance from salt, water, sand, and road debris. Just my .O2 cents. Sorry for the rant on your thread just meant to educate.

If you endup purchasing new endlinks make sure to purchase rubberized fittings or lubeable grease fitted joints (not commonly used in cheaper aftermarket versions). Or return it to stock if you don't use the adjusters.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
That's not normal wear though. I swapped my MK6 for Koni FSD/Eibach kit at 3000 miles and reused the OE parts. Relubed, inspected, cleaned and properly installed and torqued. I had 50k miles on the car when I traded it and never heard a noise. Proper installation of OE parts with aftermarket spring seats and bearings works fine if done correctly. Attention to detail is everything.

If you have spherical endlinks if can move the bearings under tension and they click, the bearings are bad. I was a aircraft mechanic for 18.5 years, flight controls on aircraft use the exact same style bearing. They are known points of failure and regularly fail. I wish I could explain but I don't buy those type of race products. Unfortunately they are sold to enthusiasts but are truly meant for the track. Race teams use them twice and throw them away. They are not meant for long term use especially without grease fittings. Of course that's provided you have those products. They require rubber boots and grease fittings or protection and regular maintenance from salt, water, sand, and road debris. Just my .O2 cents. Sorry for the rant on your thread just meant to educate.

If you endup purchasing new endlinks make sure to purchase rubberized fittings or lubeable grease fitted joints (not commonly used in cheaper aftermarket versions). Or return it to stock if you don't use the adjusters.

You lost me in the middle section.:confused:
Other than the Springs and Upper mounts all else on the front is OE.
Are you asking me if I have installed spherical end links?
What is used by race teams, the bearing or spherical end links?
Asking for clarification because I want to understand if this info helps.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Free for Christmas!

The request for the wheel locks fell thru.

Both sets are still available.

Please see link to info below.

FYI - The bolts were originally ordered for OZ Leggera wheels. They are set out more than the OE wheels. The bolts are longer. The locks have a shaft length from the ball seat of 34mm. The thread start a little down from the ball seat, so there are 30mm of threads on the 34mm shaft.

For info if they work with another wheel type.

Again, they are free and I cover shipping.
Looking for a good home.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=357552&postcount=586

davidk1175

Ready to race!
You lost me in the middle section.:confused:
Other than the Springs and Upper mounts all else on the front is OE.
Are you asking me if I have installed spherical end links?
What is used by race teams, the bearing or spherical end links?
Asking for clarification because I want to understand if this info helps.
If you have stock suspension other than the springs and mounts. Then I would swap the bearing and remount the suspension and everything else should be able to warranty.

Yes, I was referencing the install of aftermarket market spherical endlinks and non oem sway parts which can also cause clunks and noise.