GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
lol hey guys, sorry, what a f'kin day it has been. Yes, that's me. So I agreed last minute to split transportation for my car and a buddy's to Hallet race track in Oklahoma, about 4.5 hours north, for an HPDE. This was because my buddy didn't trust his wife driving a big-ass RV by herself, lol. So this morning, my buddy still has to work, and I'm juggling getting my buddies car on the trailer, the dyno tuning, and our time (Mine and Matt's) being cut short because it took the dyno peeps OVER AN HOUR AND A HALF to get us to where we could do our very first pull. So that puts me way behind schedule for our transport, which means now they're coming down on me, and now they have 3 customers cancelling on them and they're losing money.

So that was just absolute chaos and I am honestly STILL really wound up about it. But, lo and behold, our cars were loaded and sent on their merry way, with us coming along in the RV shortly after, with us sweet talking the transport company into letting us compensate them a little for their losses (and then me subsequently bitching out the dyno shop)

Other than that the dyno was flawless. It is a really nice place and these guys are real thorough, which I definitely appreciate. Hence why it took so damn long I suppose, but they could've set that expectation if that's the norm, and they didn't.

I digress. What a day. Currently about 2 hours out from the track chillin in my buddy's RV he and his wife rented while he drives, lol

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Oh, so yeah, 524/440 corrected on a true heartbreaker dyno, and at only 32lbs thanks to the ported head (Dan's post erroneously says 30lbs). If 10-12% holds true as far as how much less mustangs read, that's 576-586 whp on a dynojet. All while having amazing low-end response. The day is finally here and I am extremely grateful to Matt (Moose) for hanging in there with me and working to tune over all these months, as well as Dan (DBV2) for working with me tons and building a fantastic hybrid, and of course Robert Preuss of Precision Raceworks for answering the millions of fueling questions I had and taking care of me when it came to any of his fueling stuff, as well as a fantastic job on the head porting.

My app is bugging out on me so I cant get pics uploaded. If you click that link above though, you can see how smooth it is thanks to Matt, like Diggs said. We actually average 400whp from 2500 to 7300 RPM, and hit 30psi by 3150 RPM. Low end response is loads better than my EFR was. We also had to cut the day short, so I'm sure there's a little left in her still.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I just watched the focus slaughter. At about 5.5-7k I was like fack. That thing is MOVIN up top. Are you able to hook third at all?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I just watched the focus slaughter. At about 5.5-7k I was like fack. That thing is MOVIN up top. Are you able to hook third at all?
Watching that Speedo needle walk past 120mph was a beautiful sight to behold. Effortless.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
You can't be posting videos like that and encouraging us to port heads and go upgraded lpfp, big turbo etc etc. I'm just glad, financially speaking, that is not an option for us 1.8 guys.

Damn, next time I'm in Dallas, going to hit you up to Uber ?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Well boys it was fun while it lasted ? *A new challenger has appeared!* Spulen V2 PCV plate decided to suck liters of oil out of the head, causing low oil pressure and sending all that oil back into the turbo, destroying it on the 2nd day. Timeline:

Friday (Nov 8th) and before:
  • We did several street logs for tuning adjustments before the dyno tune session, all while using stock/OEM PCV with no issues.
  • Night before dyno tuning session (Thurs), I throw on Spulen v2 PCV plate
  • On dyno (Friday), tech finds the catch can is full after 2-3 pulls (WTF!) We suck it out and complete dyno tuning, netting 522whp/440wtq on heartbreaker dyno
    • I'm hoping it's some weird condition with being on the dyno
  • No time to think about this, already passed time commitments to get the car on a transport, split with a buddy, to ship the car up to the racetrack, 4.5 hours north (Hallett), which is why dyno was cut short (since they took 1.5 hours just to get it started). I pack my OEM PCV just in case
Saturday:
  • Track day starts on Saturday. Having a great time, but find that the catch can is full after every session, so I have to empty it after every session
  • No smoking however
  • Finish day, no real issues noticed, but didn't REALLY check everything over (regret, but was exhausted)
  • Buddies telling me they know big turbo people and they fill the can all the time so I don't really put a ton of thought into it other than "I'm going to have to fix this later because this is ridiculous having to dump this thing after every session"
Sunday:
  • 2nd day, get a random low oil pressure fault, restart car and it's gone, go through session 1 "fine" but notice boost is a little inconsistent
  • Session 2, boost is starting to really get inconsistent, after 3 laps go into super limp mode where you can't rev over 4000 RPM, we were planning to leave at noon so I call it a day at this point
  • Find that catch can was FULL after only 3 LAPS, meaning after just a few pulls, the rest of the oil was going straight to the turbo! And I had tracked hard 3 sessions the day prior
  • Find CEL fault for camshaft position along with boost faults, so thinking low pressure caused tensioner to lose tension and timing jumped
  • Pull off intake and find:
B2A86293-CD68-47DC-9001-3C4FC48B141E.jpeg

• Turbo definitely botched at this point but no choice but to try and drive 4.5 hours home with it
  • Babied it and made it 2.5 ? but turbo finally seized and I lose all power... trailered home hours later
  • Pull off turbo this past weekend, plenty of shinies in discharge pipe, shinies in oil filter, and exhaust camshaft timing is off by a tooth (good since it's not enough to damage anything, bad because I have to re-do timing)
So yeah, that was my track weekend, trial by fire, right? Everything was great.... and the supposed end-all-be-all Spulen V2 PCV destroyed my car.

The good news is Dan is going to repair my turbo for free, even though the turbo isn't at fault. Pretty cool, and that was my main worry. Everything else is just time. Turbo is already off, shipping tomorrow. I have to pull my entire charge system out and thoroughly clean it. Have to re-do timing, again. I've got a few months to get it done since it's going to be too cold to enjoy the car anyway.

Honestly I had a f'kin blast and am not too upset thanks to Dan, and my buddies driving an hour and a half with a trailer to get me. It was a terrible day that was saved by the kindness of good people.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wow. I bet your Mk4 is smirking at you all smug ?

Dan's the man. That's awesome that he's doing that.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
So I have a ticket open with USP about this, waiting to hear back since they escalated it. Jonathan Mathews has always been my contact and has taken care of me, but he thinks the PCV isn't to blame and that somehow my motor is hurt for that to be happening.

Some points I want to make:
  • I do not have this issue with stock PCV system. I only have the known/expected oil surge issue under heavy braking/cornering at track. This alone is enough for me to go off of.
  • I did not have this issue with VWR system running higher boost. My issue with VWR was that it stopped venting crank case pressure completely causing other issues, but did not suck copious amounts of oil out of the head, filling the catch can. Several others with VWR can have experienced that crankcase pressure issue on BT applications, and I consider it unrelated to what happened last weekend.
  • I don't see how a hurt motor puts down 522whp at 32psi on a heartbreaker dyno
  • PSI target on dyno was 32psi, on track was 26psi, so it's not like we're running crazy high boost
I am open on hearing thoughts of what else besides a botched PCV plate could cause what happened, because I don't see any other possibility.

Last edited: