GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Got an oil change and asked them to once-over my suspension — car felt a little squirrelly on hard freeway pulls and there was a clunking coming from the front over speed bumps.

Turns out, a couple bolts for my top mount/strut bar had loosened up and backed out a couple turns (nice). Everything else is solid as a rock and the sound is gone. Tires were checked and they were all between 31-32psi, down from 37. Oddly enough, the Ryobi style compressor I bought from Amazon told me everything was 37psi –not reassuring.

Car feels more stable now at least, but now I'm feeling like I need some coilovers that I can adjust compression/rebound separately, or something with more compliant rebound than my B16s.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Got an oil change and asked them to once-over my suspension — car felt a little squirrelly on hard freeway pulls and there was a clunking coming from the front over speed bumps.

Turns out, a couple bolts for my top mount/strut bar had loosened up and backed out a couple turns (nice). Everything else is solid as a rock and the sound is gone. Tires were checked and they were all between 31-32psi, down from 37. Oddly enough, the Ryobi style compressor I bought from Amazon told me everything was 37psi –not reassuring.

Car feels more stable now at least, but now I'm feeling like I need some coilovers that I can adjust compression/rebound separately, or something with more compliant rebound than my B16s.

I’d recommend getting a good quality tire gauge, and not using your air pump gauge.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I’d recommend getting a good quality tire gauge, and not using your air pump gauge.
Yup…I always go back after using my M12 pump and check with a mechanical gauge

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Tires were checked and they were all between 31-32psi, down from 37. Oddly enough, the Ryobi style compressor I bought from Amazon told me everything was 37psi –not reassuring.
I agree with checking after inflating. How long between when you aired the tires till you checked? I have a Dewalt tire inflator and I check right after and the pressure is on-point. But lately within 1-2 months I feel the car a little loose and when I check the pressure is down to 31-32 psi.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I agree with checking after inflating. How long between when you aired the tires till you checked? I have a Dewalt tire inflator and I check right after and the pressure is on-point. But lately within 1-2 months I feel the car a little loose and when I check the pressure is down to 31-32 psi.
I think in general temperature changes and whatnot will cause suuuuuuper slow leaks, I tend to check mine every couple of months and they also go down a couple PSI over time. I should really check them monthly, I tend to run 36-38psi depending.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Door panel disassembly to install RGB ambient lighting, goes so quick once you've done it before, haha.
1696361766999.png

1696361792883.png

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Installed the BAUN less aggressive cbe today. Only about 45 minutes and it sounds and looks awesome. This whole setup fits like a glove. I’ll have to weight the OEM resonator but the section after the vibrant resonator saved about 1.5 pounds.

IMG_2921.jpeg
IMG_2926.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2922.jpeg
    IMG_2922.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Always use a second gage. never trust the cheap-os that come with the compressor.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Drove past the shop my GTI is at and sighed at her sitting there. Long story short, my service dog in training suffered a broken leg and I learned this to be a devastatingly expensive blow. It has consumed all of my GTI money and then some. Surgery on leg to straighten the broken bones and several titanium plates later and 3 weeks of Vet hospital room and board and suddenly I'm 8k in the hole to this place. The good news is my boy is healing rapidly and returned home over the weekend,
we had an emergency expensive vet bill like this for a cat that needed all his teeth removed because he was allergic to them. nowhere near as expensive as yours was but it was enough to make us get pet insurance for all our animals. hope your pup is doing okay!

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
we had an emergency expensive vet bill like this for a cat that needed all his teeth removed because he was allergic to them. nowhere near as expensive as yours was but it was enough to make us get pet insurance for all our animals. hope your pup is doing okay!
Yea I realize now I should have better pet insurance. My current only covered about 2k worth. He is doing well and healing quickly. I talked to the shop today and I am going tomorrow to settle the current bill and take the car home, until I have enough money to finish it. Trying to see if I can rent a corner in buddies shop so that it doesnt have to sit out in the weather.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yea I realize now I should have better pet insurance. My current only covered about 2k worth. He is doing well and healing quickly. I talked to the shop today and I am going tomorrow to settle the current bill and take the car home, until I have enough money to finish it. Trying to see if I can rent a corner in buddies shop so that it doesnt have to sit out in the weather.
thats unfortunately how it always works. get the insurance after an event, and the cat hasnt had to go to the vet in the past 4 years since that happened... go figures. per insurance companies can be kinda shitty too when it comes to deciding what they want to cover. My wife has had good success disputing claims with them though

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
thats unfortunately how it always works. get the insurance after an event, and the cat hasnt had to go to the vet in the past 4 years since that happened... go figures. per insurance companies can be kinda shitty too when it comes to deciding what they want to cover. My wife has had good success disputing claims with them though
Bingo. Had to get insurance for my little dude (Frenchie) a fart could be a $3k bill lol.