GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mid Life GTI Journey

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
5CACF82F-F960-46FE-87E0-00ECF226F7B8.jpeg

My initial build thread needed some updating and I was at a point with the car that I was going to hold off on future mods for a while. She’s a blast to drive and I have done one HPDE and plan to do more in the future.
I previously had bronze RSe10s on the car but really like the new Apex setup. I also started out with the Neuspeed power module and got bored of that after a day.
If you have questions on Suspension install please feel free to ask as I made a few mistakes and learned a lot even after researching my fair share of info. I also installed all other parts other than the Baun FMIC and motor/trans mount.
There are a few other small modifications but here is the notable changes.

Engine and Transmission Modifications:

Transmission:

-ECS bleeder block and clutch stop and spring delete
-Dieselgeek Sigma Six short shifter and super pin
-RSR Hybrid clutch w/ oem Sachs dmf
Engine:
-EQT IS38+ with EQT 93 stage 2+ OTS
-EQT charge pipe and turbo muffler delete
-BAUN Performance FMIC
-BAUN Performance V2 downpipe
-BAUN less aggressive CBE
-MST full intake
-BFI stage 1 engine, trans and dogbone mounts
-BFI clean catch can
- @StorableComa grounding kit

Suspension/Wheel/Brake
Modifications:

-Neuspeed RSB with Moog end links
-Bilstein B8 with Neuspeed sport springs
-TBI-B16 coilovers
-Euro Sport street camber kit
-Apex SM-10 18x8.5 et43 with 235/40 Michelin PS4S
-Supersport RF05RR 18x9 with 245/40 Bridgestone Potenza Sport
-TBI- Apex wheels stud kit
-Macan 4 Piston Brembo Calipers

Exterior/Interior Modifications:
-OEM TCR spoiler (removed)
-iSweep rear spoiler
-OEM dynamic center caps
-OEM mudguards
-OE Dynamic Euro Tail Lights w/ @ZERO815 harness
-VW Helix subwoofer
-Aerofabb V2 Splitter
-20% tint
-WeatherTech rain guards
-BFI GS2 Alcantara knob
-Kill All Wipers rear delete
-Badgeskins here and there

Last edited:

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Welcome and congratulations on buying the best facelift color! Your mod plan seem solid, excited to watch the car grow.

Niner

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 VW GTI S w/PP
Ahoy hoy! She's a beaut, man! Have fun and I look forward to seeing the mods come along. (I'm on the same mod trajectory as you)

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Welcome, looks great! Enjoy.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Didn't know the SE trim had clark cloth seats.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Didn't know the SE trim had clark cloth seats.
Maybe the leather was just an option on the SE in 18? I don’t think I can recall seeing a new SE at the dealer with plaid seats. It’s what I wanted, other than the sunroof.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
View attachment 200750
The Gti has always been the car I return to when looking for a fun car to buy. I love the looks and build quality, and it ain’t bad to drive either.
I purchased my first Gti on New Year’s Day this year. A 2018 SE MT6 in Dark Iron Blue Metallic. Low miles (13,500) at purchase but not well taken care of. Needs some deep cleaning and a few scratches fixed. Once that is done I plan on adding some higher quaIity photos. I wanted to start a journal because this is for sure the coolest car I’ve owned. I’ve had several Honda CRXs growing up and did a little autox. Fun driver cars but nothing like this Gti.
My goal with this car is to improve on what is already nearly perfect IMO. I want to get out on track at places like VIR and really drive this car in the future.

The first modification I completed was to remove the “snow shield” from the stock air box. It doesn’t snow but once a decade here in SE NC and it looks quite restrictive. I plan on dropping in a Green Filter performance air filter once that arrives.
View attachment 200751

I also ordered the ECS clutch improvement kit. From the reviews I’ve read, I’m quite excited to get this installed when it arrives. I’ve been looking at the Diesel Geek shifter to go along with this as well.View attachment 200752Looking ahead, potentially a tune, clutch upgrade, slight ride height drop, and Bronze Neuspeed RSe10 18x8 wrapped in Michelin PS4S. These are wish list items but who knows. For now I’ll enjoy what I’ve got.

only thing your plan is missing is an RSB and you’ve got a killer DD👍

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I’ve gone down the rabbit hole once again. It’s normal to neglect children when you get a new car right? I’m joking but I sure did miss researching mods on forums for a car I can actually purchase things for.
Adding to the list of mods, upgrade the dogbone mount (need to do more research on this one as I’ve read about vibration during daily driving. I want to eliminate as much wheel hop as possible though) and thanks to Dog Dad Wagon, a RSB.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
^^^ What he said.

Welcome to the forum and great choice on the car! Excellent decisions on the paint, seats, and transmission if you ask me!

You’ve got a pretty solid list going so far in terms of mods, but a cheap easy one I would add is a clutch stop. I found it to be almost as beneficial as the delay valve delete.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
^^^ What he said.

Welcome to the forum and great choice on the car! Excellent decisions on the paint, seats, and transmission if you ask me!

You’ve got a pretty solid list going so far in terms of mods, but a cheap easy one I would add is a clutch stop. I found it to be almost as beneficial as the delay valve delete.
Thanks!
The clutch stop actually comes with the kit I bought from ESC.

I’ve always like mud guards on cars so I picked up a set today and installed them. My 13 year old American Bulldog Darcy likes to hang in the garage with me.
NC doesn’t require a front plate but the previous owner had a vanity plate up front. The holes were driving me crazy and $60 for color matched bumper plugs was a little more than I wanted to spend. $5 for a blank plate and I threw a sticker on from a place I worked this past year.
61833881-496F-49CF-927C-41BA46FA2354.jpeg

Attachments

• 2F1B21BE-5450-42A2-80DC-A5926D6E7076.jpeg
    2F1B21BE-5450-42A2-80DC-A5926D6E7076.jpeg
    787.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Thanks! The clutch pedal stop actually came with the kit I bought from ECS.

Just finished up installing the ESC bleeder block and clutch stop. Made a great difference. Looking forward to a diesel geek sigma six shirt shifter.
Parts arrived quickly and packaged great. Super easy install. I prefer the way the OEM clips felt over the ones supplied in the ECS kit, but besides that I’m pleased.