Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Installed new DEKauto remote color changing footwell lights! DOPE!

Got OBDeleven in the mail.

Just ordered EQT 93 oct base OTS tune. waiting for Accessport and panel filter to come in the mail. BIG shoutout to Cobb for their exemplary customer service! 12/10 would recommend this company as they have gone above and beyond in their product offering, competitive prices, fast shipping, and excellent customer service!

unfortunately, I have 1 year 6 months left on my warranty and I’m going to wait a while before installing the tune. The saw prices were just too good to pass up. Womp womp :-(

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Installed new DEKauto remote color changing footwell lights! DOPE!

Got OBDeleven in the mail.

Just ordered EQT 93 oct base OTS tune. waiting for Accessport and panel filter to come in the mail. BIG shoutout to Cobb for their exemplary customer service! 12/10 would recommend this company as they have gone above and beyond in their product offering, competitive prices, fast shipping, and excellent customer service!

unfortunately, I have 1 year 6 months left on my warranty and I’m going to wait a while before installing the tune. The saw prices were just too good to pass up. Womp womp :-(

Lol dude, same here on both my new Neuspeeds with AS4’s, and my Neuspeed DP. I won’t install the wheels until Spring, and the DP may not go on for several years as my car has the 6/72K warranty and only 9K miles, and I bought APR Plus at 6.5K miles and want to get as much value from it as possible. I almost certainly won’t last until 72K miles, but I gotta push it off as long as possible...

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Lol dude, same here on both my new Neuspeeds with AS4’s, and my Neuspeed DP. I won’t install the wheels until Spring, and the DP may not go on for several years as my car has the 6/72K warranty and only 9K miles, and I bought APR Plus at 6.5K miles and want to get as much value from it as possible. I almost certainly won’t last until 72K miles, but I gotta push it off as long as possible...
The struggle is real! We'll see how long mine lasts for. Its tough when I had someone from VW (via VW website chat) tell me that aftermarket parts have to be deemed probable cause of issues/repairs vs dealership saying any aftermarket part voids warranty.

Did the dog get any black friday treats for sitting so well in the back seat and not scratching the leather!? lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Here is one source I found for the 9.2" MK7.5 screen.

I don't have that much cash, so I settled for the 8" Golf R version, which is still pretty nice. Except the Piano Black is a fingerprint magnet.

What he got is actually a little bit different than the 9.2" MIB2.5 screen, much cheaper and nowhere near as involved. He had posted in another thread about being unhappy with the ugly 6.5" composition media unit that comes with the 7.5 S/Rabbit models. That is an all in one unit, there is no MIB unit in the glovebox, the 'brain' is attached to the screen like a regular traditional car stereo.

While browsing AliExpress, I had found the RCD520 unit. It's an 8" all in one unit like the composition media, but looks to be based off the 9.2" screen you linked. So I suggested that to him. I couldn't find any information on it as it's still relatively new, but from what I could see, it looks like it would be a viable straight swap for the crappy S/Rabbit composition media units. Only downside is no Android Auto, if you're into that. El_bigote_AJ is the first person I've seen bite the bullet and give it a try.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
What he got is actually a little bit different than the 9.2" MIB2.5 screen, much cheaper and nowhere near as involved. He had posted in another thread about being unhappy with the ugly 6.5" composition media unit that comes with the 7.5 S/Rabbit models. That is an all in one unit, there is no MIB unit in the glovebox, the 'brain' is attached to the screen like a regular traditional car stereo.

While browsing AliExpress, I had found the RCD520 unit. It's an 8" all in one unit like the composition media, but looks to be based off the 9.2" screen you linked. So I suggested that to him. I couldn't find any information on it as it's still relatively new, but from what I could see, it looks like it would be a viable straight swap for the crappy S/Rabbit composition media units. Only downside is no Android Auto, if you're into that. El_bigote_AJ is the first person I've seen bite the bullet and give it a try.
what does the mib unit do? for 350$ upgrading from 6.5 to 9.2" seems like a no brainer if its just plug and play

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
what does the mib unit do? for 350$ upgrading from 6.5 to 9.2" seems like a no brainer if its just plug and play

How bad of an install is involved in this?

It's only going to be plug and play if you have a 2018+ S\Rabbit. If you have any 2016 - 2017, or a 2018+ SE\Autobahn, you have to pull out the glovebox and MIB unit, and re-route some cables. Look at the description on AliExpress, it shows some brief pictures of what you need to do.

And again, this screen isn't 9.2". It's an 8" screen, that looks like the 9.2" one (no knobs, capacitive buttons).

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Maybe I'm biased, but there's always this option. Although much more work, but SiriusXM, Android Auto, Performance Monitor, and Factory NAV if you get the appropriate unit...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ainment-conversion-into-2018-s-models.359659/
yeah, we are all pretty aware of that option, lol.

i was holding out on doing that cause the work and money involved for just a better screen, then at that point i was entertaining the mib2.5/3 and the 9.2 but the price is up there. So when i was turned on to this it was perfect for my scenario as i only use car play - don't listen to xm, and don't use factory nav since.. well carplay.

so for an option thats under 400 bucks and takes 15 min to do the project it worked perfect for me.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Looks great. A pretty big visual upgrade. Glad to see it is a no hassle straight swap for people with the S\Rabbit composition media, as long as they don't need Android Auto.

Looks like you were able to re-use the OEM trim?
yes the trims are indeed the same, from the composite to this one, I'm wondering if its the same as the stateside 8" ?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
yes the trims are indeed the same, from the composite to this one, I'm wondering if its the same as the stateside 8" ?

It should be. The same trim part number is listed as compatible across all trims:

1606847432490.png

If you're willing to part with that AliExpress trim, shoot me a PM.