GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TWO Blown turbo's with less than 13k miles!

Hoon

Autocross Champion
This is bizarre.

It's possible for lightning to strike twice, but highly unlikely. I'd be paying careful attention to lubrication. There are hard lines for oil feed and return, if those lines were damaged by a careless tech during the initial repair, the second turbo could have had lubrication issues.

Doesn't sound like you were running very high boost or doing anything crazy with the car so I tend to think there's another issue.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to hear this. Hope you get it sorted soon. Hopefully VW takes care of you. If not, you may want to consider getting an independent lined up while your waiting for their decision. Totally sucks being 1,000 miles from home as it limits your options.

Jamie007

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear this. Hope you get it sorted soon. Hopefully VW takes care of you. If not, you may want to consider getting an independent lined up while your waiting for their decision. Totally sucks being 1,000 miles from home as it limits your options.
Good thinking! But they made it sound like everything will be ok. They even gave me a new 2018 GTI as a loaner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

burchtd

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'17 GTI S
With a 6MT I'd be doing tires, rear sway bar, mounts all around, a JB4, and putting some pennies away every pay check for a clutch.

Great idea, actually. Especially considering that I'm still fine tuning and weaning myself from using the clutch too much. This IS only my...6th day of ownership.

adam1991

Banned
As far as the warranty goes, I was told by the dealership, that VW corporate put a note in the system to cover me, even though my car is TD1. They said even if it's another blown turbo, I'm covered.

I'm fascinated by this.

This should be a sticky (if the dealership isn't just blowing smoke).

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Boosting with cold oil would be my first guess. If that's not the case, then you are just the most unlucky person on this forum haha

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Either that or it wasn't cleaned out the first time and some debris got sucked into the new one at some point.

That too. Or the air filter has a giant hole in it?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
That too. Or the air filter has a giant hole in it?

The the amount of people running open turbines, and the amount of youtube videos that I've seen people putting organic items in them... like carrots... I think something hard (like a rock) hitting and bending all the fins would make sense. Why do people use their turbos as blenders? Is it the cool thing to do?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The the amount of people running open turbines, and the amount of youtube videos that I've seen people putting organic items in them... like carrots... I think something hard (like a rock) hitting and bending all the fins would make sense. Why do people use their turbos as blenders? Is it the cool thing to do?

I use it to blend up Soobies. Gives my car the burbles.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For anyone reading this and doubting this platform I’ve been APR tuned for 50k miles now and my stock turbo is just fine.

With that said I also drive with the oil temp as my center screen display and don’t boost under 180* F.

OP I hope they cover it, but don’t give up on the car because of bad luck. Could be worse, you could have a new STI with cylinder #4 ringland snapped off