GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TWO Blown turbo's with less than 13k miles!

Juggar

Ready to race!
This will be a good test to see if VW will catch the tune, its true "once tuned, always tuned".

In VW's defense they did replace it once already. Its fair for them to do their due diligence this time around.

If I were OP id be trying to figure out how id pay for this out of pocket right now.

Jamie007

Ready to race!
This will be a good test to see if VW will catch the tune, its true "once tuned, always tuned".

In VW's defense they did replace it once already. Its fair for them to do their due diligence this time around.

If I were OP id be trying to figure out how id pay for this out of pocket right now.

Actually VW did NOT cover the first blown turbo, they flagged it TD1. The performance shop that the dealership owns paid for the repairs, because when I originally got it tuned, they emphatically told me it wouldn't void the warranty. I should have known better, but I trusted them. Then two weeks later, POP!

Yes, I have my credit card on standby, if it comes to that.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So the VW DEALER did not replace the first turbo, their tuning division did. Completely changes the narrative. Even if they replace the second turbo for free, could be you have some other issue, like with the head since the turbo bolts directly to it. Since you're flagged, I doubt the tuner will fix it for free. Should have got that, "wouldn't void the warranty" in writing and signed by an owner. I'd like to see them eat the costs for a DSG.

adam1991

Banned
I can't believe it! Blew my second turbo in less than one year, on my 2017 Sport with less than 13k miles. I posted when my first turbo blew last year, car was barely two months old. It was APR stage 1 when it happened. I was told my turbo must have been a "lemon..." Brought it back to stock, got my warranty reinstated (so they said), and after a few months got a JB4. I thought the JB4 was safe, but not even 6 months later, and maybe 7k miles, I blew another turbo! I was using MAP 2, and it's not like I beat on the car or anything. I've been on a road trip for a week, and was just cruising when the EPC light came on. It's at the stealership now, and they are waiting for approval from VW to fix it. I'm stranded 1000 miles from home, and it will be at least a week before they can get me back on the road. I am beside myself...:mad: I know the car was modded, but I can't believe how fragile these turbo's are!?... I guess no more JB4 for me... :confused:

Hole after hole in this story.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Hole after hole in this story.

If you bothered to read the thread.... you wouldn't be so stupid! Eh oh. Now yes he didn't word it correctly with the first post, but reading at least the last page would have made you write something else completely pointless.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I think it's at least possible that VW does in fact have a note about the car so if they don't discover that the piggy back was used -and- find the underlying issue that killed the Turbo (if indeed something other than the hi-boost) then it might get covered.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
What octane were you using? Is your car manual or DSG? Aftermarket air intake or stock box?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Actually VW did NOT cover the first blown turbo, they flagged it TD1. The performance shop that the dealership owns paid for the repairs, because when I originally got it tuned, they emphatically told me it wouldn't void the warranty. I should have known better, but I trusted them. Then two weeks later, POP!

This changes the whole equation and what was initially reported.

cb1111

Once a TD1, always a TD1. If they flagged it before then it is still flagged.

If the original turbo was replaced by a VW dealer on the OP's dime, then the only way they'll cover it now is if the current dealer (or the OP) can make a credible argument that the prior repair was botched.

Good luck to the OP.

Jamie007

Ready to race!
What octane were you using? Is your car manual or DSG? Aftermarket air intake or stock box?
92. DSG. AUTOTEK intake/k&n

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
If you bothered to read the thread.... you wouldn't be so stupid! Eh oh. Now yes he didn't word it correctly with the first post, but reading at least the last page would have made you write something else completely pointless.

The holes got even bigger as he went on.

adam1991

Banned
Once a TD1, always a TD1. If they flagged it before then it is still flagged.

If the original turbo was replaced by a VW dealer on the OP's dime

The OP didn't pay. But now his story is that VW didn't pay, either.

I wonder what the story will be an hour from now.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I remember his original post when they replaced his first turbo.

The shop did it as a favor and it was even suggested the turbo he received was a used one they had laying around.

I’ll bet a six pack this ones on his dime. Once tuned, always tuned. Sell Jb4 and re install APR because your warranty has been gone since the original tune anyway...you paid for the apr tune and might as well use it