GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The inside of my golf is extremely wet and I’m in panic mode...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Shop says the seal at the cabin filter inlet was bad. Replaced and they said no water came in when they sprayed it down. They also did tests to prove its not the windshield or the AC evap drain hose.

It’s rwining like crazy here right now so this is as good of a test as any... will check in the AM...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
aaaaaand its wet again... not soaked but not dry as I left it... im going to take the door panels off here this week and see what I can find... im also open to any other ideas... this sucks

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Damn man just saw this thread. Bummer!

You said that you felt like it was coming in “from the bottom” don’t you have the GTI side skirts on your car? Any chance you drilled in too far when you did the little mounting posts and somehow something is getting in? Or am I misremembering how those things get installed...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
so ive done a bunch more research and based upon some more factors, as well as additional knowledge about what I was actually looking at, I think i am just another victim of the speaker seal issue... im going to do some tests today... im 90% sure thats what it is...

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
so ive done a bunch more research and based upon some more factors, as well as additional knowledge about what I was actually looking at, I think i am just another victim of the speaker seal issue... im going to do some tests today... im 90% sure thats what it is...

1. Run water over suspect door
2. Open door and look for water at the bottom of the door panel
3. Profit.... I guess.

I've fixed a bunch of water leaks through speakers starting with a 2010 Tiguan.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
1. Run water over suspect door
2. Open door and look for water at the bottom of the door panel
3. Profit.... I guess.

I've fixed a bunch of water leaks through speakers starting with a 2010 Tiguan.

When I remove all four door cards to upgrade the door stops and install the warning lights, I will also add a bead seal of silicone caulk around the speaker gaskets. Hopefully it will prevent a leak from starting.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
So now I’m third and fourth guessing... sprayed water on the passenger side of the car so it didn’t appear that a thing was coming down the bottom of the door cards... I will be taking them off to do a few things anyway so it’ll be worth checking... but as of now I think I’m still on the hunt for the issue...

paddypool

Ready to race!
I mentioned it previously & it has been mentioned elsewhere here, there's a problem in some Mk7's & other VW models, with the seal on the speakers perishing.

I noticed the passenger side rear footwell was damp & wet a number of months ago. Took it to the dealers & they knew straight away what the problem was as they had encountered it a few times.
They replaced the whole speaker which had a new seal & the problem disappeared. I have the old speaker & you can see that about 1inch section of the rubber type seal had just crumbled! :rolleyes:

Car was just outta warranty so had to part with around €70 which I was happy about.
I joked with VW service as to when the others would go, sure enough a month ago the other footwell side was leaking!
Argued with VW & they agreed to fit the 2nd one FOC...One seriously has to wonder how long before the front door one's go ?!
REALLY disappointing...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I’ll take the door cards off to look but like I said, when I sprayed the passenger side of the car down, I didn’t notice anything wet inside the car or below the door cards...

paddypool

Ready to race!
Yeah I’ll take the door cards off to look but like I said, when I sprayed the passenger side of the car down, I didn’t notice anything wet inside the car or below the door cards...

The water amount can be subtle, but builds up...The plastic door card had only a slightly wet line underneath it when I rubbed my fingers along it... You wouldn't imagine it could be the problem. but you can visualize that the water then leaks into the rubber seal on the body of the car (along the sill ), that the door closes to, which likely then overspills into the car..

Just check the rubber along your door sill- open it with your fingers, you can then see if there's water in it or indeed if it looks like a kind of a rusty colour long there.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
The water amount can be subtle, but builds up...The plastic door card had only a slightly wet line underneath it when I rubbed my fingers along it... You wouldn't imagine it could be the problem. but you can visualize that the water then leaks into the rubber seal on the body of the car (along the sill ), that the door closes to, which likely then overspills into the car..

Just check the rubber along your door sill- open it with your fingers, you can then see if there's water in it or indeed if it looks like a kind of a rusty colour long there.

and indeed there is... and when i look at where the mold started to develop, its right at the center of the door sill on the carpet... and the label under the has the letters all worn away at that spot... so i still kind of think thats what it is... i sprayed water all over the car today and didnt notice any ingress...

also, i think the real thick pad under the angled part of the floor and the first three inches of the flat floor is either still waterlogged or water is getting in right there... because it still feels damp on the floor behind that pad...

defcon5

Ready to race!
I had an issue with water getting into my Mk1 GTI years ago; so much water, it would slosh around and flow from the front passenger side to the rear passenger side and back again; I'm talking puddles. I'd have to get a wet/dry shop vac to vacuum all the water out. Went on this way for months until I finally decided to investigate where the water was coming from. Turns out, the drain holes under the hood were plugged up with pine/fur needles preventing the water from being able drain, leaving the water to find the path of least resistance; which happened to be thru the fan unit and into the cabin of the vehicle. Cleared the debris from the drain holes = No more water in the cabin.

+1
Had this problem on my MK1, 3 and 5. On the MK5, the water seek its own level in the back seat floor. On the MK1 and 3 the water pool on the passenger front. Autumn in NY made many leaves and it seem most found a home in the cowl on my VW. :)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
you need to spray the water on the glass to let it run down the into the inside of the door as it is supposed to...

anyway at least its just the speaker on the MK7 Golf and not the speaker, & the whole carrier frame like on the MK6...which was plastic...or older VAG cars which had a nice bolted metal carrier...

As southpawboston said use it as an opportunity to retro-fit the two/three position door check straps & puddle lights....