GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The inside of my golf is extremely wet and I’m in panic mode...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I did not remove the speakers but I did add a large bead of sealant aroud the speaker. Hoping this solves the issue. It did appear that this could be the source of this issue so fingers crossed that itll be resolved.

I’m also going to look into replacing the seal at the bottom of the door. It looks like it is also a guide channel to drain water so that might not be helping things opinions it’s not draining right.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
News! With all the carpets pulled back, front and rear passenger side, and the rear door panel off, I’ve been able to identify that there is a stead drip of water from the rear door speaker. This is even after a sealing with silicone around the speaker so somehow I missed a spot or water found a weak point. The floor, back to front, was also damp with two areas of standing water. So that tells me that water is indeed collecting in the rear door and a) not draining properly or b) draining out the speaker seal before it gets to its intended target.

What can I do to make sure the intended drain channels are working properly?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
No signs of that. Still feels nice and sharp when I give the cone a light tap. Still functions well.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
No signs of that. Still feels nice and sharp when I give the cone a light tap. Still functions well.

No water stains? (The cones are paper, right?) So if water is coming from the speaker frame, it must be at the junction with the door, where the seal is.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
No water stains? (The cones are paper, right?) So if water is coming from the speaker frame, it must be at the junction with the door, where the seal is.

i dont see any damage. I wonder what the back of the speaker looks like... bc youre right; i should see damage to the speaker...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
yesterday, i put all the trim back together and the door panel back in place. The issue was indeed the speaker allowing water in. Now that it has been sealed and passed a few soak tests, I feel confident I wont be having any more water issues!

At least until the next new water ingress location pops up....

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
I had both rear speaker seals fail. I have to re-do one of them today now that I have the proper materials. Just make sure you really dry the insulation under the carpet since it really holds water. I had to cut the floor sections out on each side and dry them out of the car to get it completely dry and smell free.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
yesterday, i put all the trim back together and the door panel back in place. The issue was indeed the speaker allowing water in. Now that it has been sealed and passed a few soak tests, I feel confident I wont be having any more water issues!

At least until the next new water ingress location pops up....

Do you have pics of exactly where you need to seal? Do I need to pull the speaker completely? My carpet isn’t wet but water is getting in enough that some is in the channel where the stripping folds over the bottom interior door trim. Car is still in warranty and I should take it in BUT, I’ve had the door apart to install soundproofing and also have RGM Silguards installed and I don’t feel like having a battle about “these mods probably caused this”.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Do you have pics of exactly where you need to seal? Do I need to pull the speaker completely? My carpet isn’t wet but water is getting in enough that some is in the channel where the stripping folds over the bottom interior door trim. Car is still in warranty and I should take it in BUT, I’ve had the door apart to install soundproofing and also have RGM Silguards installed and I don’t feel like having a battle about “these mods probably caused this”.

I did not remove the speaker. Just got a caulking gun with a silicon metal safe sealer and gave it a nice big bead around where the speaker meets the door.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
That sounds like having a pipe leak between walls and caulking baseboard so water does not get out :)

No, not a good analogy at all. I did the same thing, I also caulked around the speaker frames where they meet the door sheet metal, as a preventative. By doing so, you are creating a new circular seal around the speaker frame mere millimeters away from the circular OEM gasket. There is nowhere for the water to accumulate from the original breach as in your analogy, except maybe a couple of drops' worth, at max, between the OEM gasket and the caulk bead. It's more like adding a second home door weather strip around the door's original weatherstripping. Would the amount of water that bypasses the first weatherstrip cause damage to anything before the second one stops it?

Martin398

Ready to race!
removed the rear doors cards yesterday, I suspected the rear speakers to be allowing water inside. both sides had signs of water ingress. passenger side foam gasket on the speaker was soaking wet on the bottom of the speaker and actually hanging out as a wet mess. driver side wasn't as saturated but still wet. drilling out the rivets did not go as smoothly as it should. it's a fastener I'm familiar with from work and use them quite a bit, but these do not drill out simply. I also found them to be a bit oversized for their intended purpose. I cleaned all surfaces and applied a healthy bead of automotive silicone to the speaker, covered the existing rivets holes with a foil gasket tape. I attached the speaker with sheet metal screws through new mounting points on the speaker that I drilled out, so now it's a removable item should I want to in the future. I also sealed the speaker mount to the door sheet metal on the outside of the speaker. I don't see water ingress being an issue again on the speakers. the factory seal is terrible. I'll be doing the front doors in the future, but I don't currently have an issue with water getting in their yet.

it's a pretty simple job, just gotta take your time. with a T30 torx bit and a set of panel tools anyone with mechanical abilities can tackle this without a trip to the dealer.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Good work! Did you break any panel clips?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
removed the rear doors cards yesterday, I suspected the rear speakers to be allowing water inside. both sides had signs of water ingress. passenger side foam gasket on the speaker was soaking wet on the bottom of the speaker and actually hanging out as a wet mess. driver side wasn't as saturated but still wet. drilling out the rivets did not go as smoothly as it should. it's a fastener I'm familiar with from work and use them quite a bit, but these do not drill out simply. I also found them to be a bit oversized for their intended purpose. I cleaned all surfaces and applied a healthy bead of automotive silicone to the speaker, covered the existing rivets holes with a foil gasket tape. I attached the speaker with sheet metal screws through new mounting points on the speaker that I drilled out, so now it's a removable item should I want to in the future. I also sealed the speaker mount to the door sheet metal on the outside of the speaker. I don't see water ingress being an issue again on the speakers. the factory seal is terrible. I'll be doing the front doors in the future, but I don't currently have an issue with water getting in their yet.

it's a pretty simple job, just gotta take your time. with a T30 torx bit and a set of panel tools anyone with mechanical abilities can tackle this without a trip to the dealer.

Did you notice any water intrusion into the speaker cone? I can't quite remember what the speaker cone looks like inside its funny plastic frame. Is there any protection of it from water?