GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removed Injen Intake and went back to stock , anyone?

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
I have an injen sp and also an autotech. When its cold, i put on the injen cause it sounds better and in the cool weather, it pulls harder. I honestly have not had a problem with it at all but if inhad to choose just one, it would be the autotech simply because its the better all rounder. If its worth anything, i have dynod on the stock intake with k&n filter in 2 degree celsius weather and made 7 hp less than the injen intake in 25 degree celsius weather...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
vwgtidude
Today, I removed the injen and installed back the stock airbox with a k&n filter. I noticed that the turbo boost kicks in much earlier, less transmission jerkyness, picks up faster and overall drives much smoother.

alerxovawo
I had a similar thing happen. As weird as it may sound, I took my injen intake off, put on the stock and it stopped.

tm978275
Well boys, all I can say is...anyone interested in buying a Injen CAI? It's in great condition!
Seriously, put stock airbox in and reflashed Eurodyne's 1.5 93 octane. Went on the highway and the issue is completely gone.

undertherug
I haven't run into issues, per se, but you can feel a drop in power here in the summer compared to the stock box.

nmarz77
I've noticed a drastic increase in power, especially off the line with the stock intake back on. It wasn't an issue during winter months but now that it's hot out the engine really loses a lot of power with the Injen intake.
I'm back to frying the tires off all the way through 2nd like nothing now. With the Injen installed it would only spin them a little in this heat.

heliotrope
I had the Injen cheapo intake, and LOVED the sound it made. I didn't love the performance drop in hot weather.

BrianThatCoolGuy
Not every intake design is the same. Some work much better than others. Lots of people here know that I'm not an APR nut swinger,
but there is a reason why I switched from the Injen Intake I had to APR's... And no, it wasn't for looks.
Will an intake make much of a difference? No, at all. As I posted earlier, most gain you will see is 10-15whp and about the same torque on APR's intake.
A member on the FB group picked up 3whp on the Injen intake. Low end is vastly better with APR's compared to Injen and the noises the turbo used to make with the Injen intake further proves my point.
A ton of turbo surge. Heat soak is insane(my current boost gauge provides IATs) with the Injen intake compared to APR's.
I don't think it's fair to say "an *intake* won't make a difference" when you have such different designs.

1.8Tornado
I had the Injen intake and I swear by throwing it in the garbage, what a piece of junk lol

Worldpacgti
I had an injen intake for a few months and while I loved the sound, I feel it hurt the performance a smidge.
I have since switched to an autotech intake and the car feels much better.

jshwon
I just did the same thing about a week ago. Was running the Injen for a few months.
But here in Houston it feels like the stock air box performs better in the heat. I may look into a drop in K&N or maybe R600 if I feel like paying that much.

sangeseven
So I just installed the Injen intake in my golf. I love the sound it gives but I find I lost some kick, noticeably in third gear. When I was stock, going 80kmh in third, the acceleration was stronger and response was quicker. Running the intake, I feel like there's a little bit of last a noticeable loss in acceleration.
I know intakes give little or no gains so I was prepared for that. But losing power, is that possible? Anyone else feeling it ?

Stopsweatinme
I loved my Injen intake in the winter, but found that i was losing low end power in warm weather. I really miss the sound of it, but I found a used APR intake for a good deal.
Yes, I definitely felt an increase at stage 2 with the APR intake.
But, I definitely felt a decrease at stage 2 with the Injen intake.

Mk7Militia
I had the Injen and got rid of it in a week.

George Smooth
You should try putting your stock intake to do a comparison to the injen now that things are hot. Someone moved back and his car had a noticeable improvement.

gn4rwhals
I cannot vouch for Eurodyne users, but I had the Injen Intake on my car, its a good noisemaker but that is about it.
Air intakes that are showing gains are all closed box systems that draw air from the front of the car either using the stock system or their own.
I personally did not want to spend the $400 - $500 to have one of these so I got a VWR filter for the stock airbox

Gn4rwhals after getting a new car
Worst intake for this car is the Injen.

billy2.0
My opinion if you're interested: I had their open element version prior to this one and this one is quieter and gives you a little more power.
This version dyno'd a couple hp/tq more than the open element which isn't a lot, but I can feel it when I drive.
The responsiveness is there. And I personally like that it isn't as loud because I found myself just revving the engine everywhere to hear the other one.
Plus, with this sealed design, I have monitored my intake temps and when moving the intake temps are within 10° of ambient. With the open element it would creep up to +50 which hurts performance.

Ricked_Em
Just switched from the ebay version of the injen to the 034 x34 intake and it is night and day difference.

Mars
Worst is a harsh word, I didn't completely dislike the Injen intake, it looks and sounds waay better than the stock intake. Performance-wise it goes backwards a small bit though lol.

Yeah I put in the aFe dry panel filter and removed the snow grate and it runs great, IATs are lower than the Injen. But the sound of an open style intake I do miss!

More telling is the # of injen SP intakes sold off in the classified.

Last edited:

copperbricks

Ready to race!
does apply to other open intakes as well? specifically, i was looking at the k&n typhoon open intake, i wanted to get a bit more turbo noise, and I'm under no illusions about horsepower gains. Is that worth a try? Or should I just suck it up and go for somrthing like the EVO3000

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
does apply to other open intakes as well? specifically, i was looking at the k&n typhoon open intake, i wanted to get a bit more turbo noise, and I'm under no illusions about horsepower gains. Is that worth a try? Or should I just suck it up and go for somrthing like the EVO3000

Evo is selling for $270 or so check out the intake section thread there's a link on it.

Perry01

Ready to race!
I really cannot understand why someone would buy an open intake when it clearly reduces performance. Cosmetics and noise? Wow.

heliotrope

Passed Driver's Ed
I really, really miss the noise, but I also took off the intake and went to stock - snow filter + KN.

Anybody thought about the DV spacers from ECS or Boomba? It vents to atmosphere and on the 6MT I think that performance should be unchanged. I love the noise but don't want compromises!

Tone1

Ready to race!
I went back to stock with AFE drop in, definite and noticeable improvement. Also added the Boomba spacer, didn't notice really any difference in performance (which is a good thing), but got all my sound needs satisfied.

JakeFromStateFarm

Ready to race!
I'll trade my Injen SP for a stock intake...
See post in the classifieds.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion