GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removed Injen Intake and went back to stock , anyone?

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
shoooot I am just now seeing all the negativity about this intake shortly after getting one. At least I got it second hand for super cheap. Probably gonna sell it off again soon..

yo_marc

Ready to race!
... not to mention some folks might not be aware these intakes don't seem work well in these cars.

I like that some people are having some success with them.

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
I have had this intake for about 2 years now and was actually the one to bring it to the board's attention since I was an earlier purchaser of the car and found it while I was looking for a reasonably priced intake. My car is a dsg and has an APR stage 1 tune but no other performance mods. I have been nothing but happy with the intake. Further, I had to reinstall the stock intake recently when I had to have some warranty work done. I didn't do any scientific testing and have no hard data but subjectively I couldn't notice any increase in performance when going back to the stock intake. I drove in a number of conditions including stop and go city traffic during which the advantages of the stock intake should have been magnified. I happily reinstalled the intake when I got the car back from the dealer and have been continuing to enjoy it ever since.

Gareezy

Passed Driver's Ed
On the topic of open intakes (I have the Neuspeed which is open like Inken): I put my stock intake back on my car to get some work done at the dealership. Drove around for 2 weeks all stock again. Didn't notice any peformance increase anywhere. Just reinstalled my Neuspeed intake the other day and I noticed NO degradation in performance. I ran JB1 with stock intake and the open Neuspeed intake as well and the stock intake felt slower. I always disconnect my battery when swapping intakes or cleaning the filter. Maybe that helps?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
This particular thread is just about the injen SP intake only, which appears to have a design flaw which causes it (in 20+ owner cases) to mix engine bay air with external air, resulting in elevated BAT's. It either doesn't seal completely with the existing cold air inlet source, or doesn't seal at all with the heat deflector.

This is exaggerated if the areas environment is humid and high heat, which exaggerates the issue. In the cooler months, the car isn't as negatively effected, as its still getting relatively decent inlet temps. (so lots of people love the intake in the winter, or in cool temperate areas).

I know gn4whals solved his main issue with the intake by opening up a duct so it would actually receive some external air. That combined with some extra sealing material around the deflector, could help with the issues.

I have not seen any complaints (nothing like this) with other open element intakes, such as the neuspeed, cts, rock, etc. It mainly seems to be the SP as a lone issue causer.

For those that have no issue with their injen, do you mind snapping some photos of it in the bay? I wonder if they changed the sealing material (or increased its size). There could be more then one revision of it.

Mars1

Ready to race!
Lol I don't want it, I just want to test with it to see how bad the IATs are

I've tested the IATs here on mine, honestly there is not a difference under normal driving. When fully warmed up in 80 degree weather, stop and go traffic, both the stock intake with stock filter and Injen SP run 40 to 50 degrees above ambient for me . I did measure under hard acceleration the stock intake runs about 5 degrees cooler than the Injen SP, which is what matters most I guess. Tooling around there is no difference in IATs.
I swapped back to the stock intake mostly because I want to make sure the air is filtered well, I don't trust the Injen cone filter and hoses.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I've tested the IATs here on mine, honestly there is not a difference under normal driving. When fully warmed up in 80 degree weather, stop and go traffic, both the stock intake with stock filter and Injen SP run 40 to 50 degrees above ambient for me . I did measure under hard acceleration the stock intake runs about 5 degrees cooler than the Injen SP, which is what matters most I guess. Tooling around there is no difference in IATs.
I swapped back to the stock intake mostly because I want to make sure the air is filtered well, I don't trust the Injen cone filter and hoses.

Good to know! When I tested an open filter on the stock plastic pipe, moving was about a 5-10degree difference. Stopped, the stock air box was cooler, but heated up to about the same after a couple minutes. Does sound like the metal pipe increased it quite a bit more when sitting

Mars1

Ready to race!
Good to know! When I tested an open filter on the stock plastic pipe, moving was about a 5-10degree difference. Stopped, the stock air box was cooler, but heated up to about the same after a couple minutes. Does sound like the metal pipe increased it quite a bit more when sitting

Yeah the metal pipe gets hot, and the I don't think the metal diverter plate thing helps much either.. I really want to see how a stock location aftermarket IC helps with IATs. I'm waiting to see if I can get a black friday deal on a SMIC

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
This particular thread is just about the injen SP intake only, which appears to have a design flaw which causes it (in 20+ owner cases) to mix engine bay air with external air, resulting in elevated BAT's. It either doesn't seal completely with the existing cold air inlet source, or doesn't seal at all with the heat deflector.

This is exaggerated if the areas environment is humid and high heat, which exaggerates the issue. In the cooler months, the car isn't as negatively effected, as its still getting relatively decent inlet temps. (so lots of people love the intake in the winter, or in cool temperate areas).

I know gn4whals solved his main issue with the intake by opening up a duct so it would actually receive some external air. That combined with some extra sealing material around the deflector, could help with the issues.

I have not seen any complaints (nothing like this) with other open element intakes, such as the neuspeed, cts, rock, etc. It mainly seems to be the SP as a lone issue causer.

For those that have no issue with their injen, do you mind snapping some photos of it in the bay? I wonder if they changed the sealing material (or increased its size). There could be more then one revision of it.

I was one of the first Injen installs in the country so I would have the earliest revision of any materials used.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Stock with a drop in...save your money on a mod that does something

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Worst intake for this car is the Injen.

Best intake for this car is 034 or APR (or IE if you are high or have oil sheikh money).

Best option for this car? panel filter and upgraded turbo inlet pipe.

Mars1

Ready to race!
Worst is a harsh word, I didn't completely dislike the Injen intake, it looks and sounds waay better than the stock intake. Performance-wise it goes backwards a small bit though lol.

Yeah I put in the aFe dry panel filter and removed the snow grate and it runs great, IATs are lower than the Injen. But the sound of an open style intake I do miss!