GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removed Injen Intake and went back to stock , anyone?

vwgtidude

Ready to race!
I purchased a brand new short ram Injen air intake and used it for half a year. Today, I removed the injen and installed back the stock airbox with a k&n filter. I noticed that the turbo boost kicks in much earlier, less transmission jerkyness, picks up faster and overall drives much smoother.

Without a proper tune, its pointless in having a aftermarket intake.

Thoughts?

I'll miss the whisper sound but thats all i'll miss.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Everyone removed their Injen intake and went back to stock with a drop in filter. Guilty for purchasing that intake and a vwr drop in after. I have the full APR intake now and it's great. It's the intake itself that's crap and it's the most re sold intake on the forums. A tune isn't necessary for a good intake, but a tune will bring the most positive gain results on a good intake.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
They just perform poorly for just about everyone that has owned one.

vwgtidude

Ready to race!
Everyone removed their Injen intake and went back to stock with a drop in filter. Guilty for purchasing that intake and a vwr drop in after. I have the full APR intake now and it's great. It's the intake itself that's crap and it's the most re sold intake on the forums. A tune isn't necessary for a good intake, but a tune will bring the most positive gain results on a good intake.

I don't see a difference in air intakes. They just suck in more air regardless.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Well material and placement are the two biggest differences. We won't get into pipe sizing, turbulence, etc. Metal pipes are more prone to heat soak in the hot engine bay. Not to mention there is nothing to direct the cool air from the outside to the intake on the Injen.

I just did testing with the stock plastic pipe and found a 5-10 degree difference. With the metal pipe, I have no doubt it's much higher. I also tested when it was 73 outside. If it's 83 I bet the temps are more than 10 degrees hotter.

It's well known that the Injen isn't good.

Edit - fwiw, K&N says 1sq/in on their filter flows ~6cfm. Our filter is about 12x7 which is 84in2. That's about 505cfm which is right about what a stage 2 is estimated to flow. I have no clue how many cfm the stock paper filter can flow, but get a panel filter and you should be good unless you want more wooshes :) aftermarket intakes like APR improve the stock design further and have proven gains

Last edited:

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
That original Injen is simply junk as its simply a stick with a filter on it that sucks in hot air. The new Injen Evo seems like a great unit for the price though.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I don't see a difference in air intakes. They just suck in more air regardless.

I thought the same, but the data is out there. Our engines like the closed type of intakes vs open intakes. There's a reason why Injen made the Evo3000 intake.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The injen SP intake is one of the worst for the car. I'm almost certain it sucks 10-20 horsepower away from the car (vs stock). Never ending issues on the forums from that Sh#t Piece injen.

One of the worst mods for the car by far.

Oddly enough, many of the other open intakes do not have anywhere near the level of complaints (if any at all). I can only surmise that the injen SP's attempt at deflecting air is a a complete mess, and it must just funnel all the engine bay heat directly into the intake. I'm sure someone with temp probes and a thermal camera could verify, but the data on the forum is pretty consistent and substaintal against the SP.

Just this week, two separate individuals had problems with their car (with the SP), and removed it, solving the issues. (three total in one week now).

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
It's funny that Injen would create an intake like this and seemingly do no tests on intake temps/hp and just sell it to the market based on their name. I'm glad everyone called them out on their &%^* product and made them redo the design. It would be nice if Injen would refund their money or give them a credit towards the new intake to replace the old design.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I really want to get an Injen and test it. Anyone in So Cal have one I can borrow for a bit? :D

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Honestly I do not understand the hate for the Injen SP compared to other open intakes. They all have the same basic shape from Cts, nuespeed,Roc-euro (love you John). Also I feel that it may be common knowledge that you don't need an intake unless your are adding more power(if not my bad). I have the injen and I think its fantastic. I love the sound/look and all of that. Is it prone to heat soak? Scientifically yes, but in real world numbers I haven't lost a race or had a poor lap because of my intake. Im guessing at best a difference of 5hp and thats at top end for us with modified cars in real air in a real situation.

Also greggles, we have spoke before and honestly the most anti-injen talk has come from your name specifically. When from what it seems you don't or ever had it? I actually did my test. Stock vs injen. Stock did slightly better as far as spooling than the injen up until maybe 30-40 mph after that no real difference but I would say my higher RPM pulls felt better with the injen and I have a 3 mile straight road outside my house to test this. So please quit with all the reckless injen bashing. Its a great cosmetic and functional piece that can be had for under 200. Unless you are really pushing hard in a track/race application then it may make a difference. For the majority of gTI users who just want to have fun and modify the cars its a solid option. (again if you are modified, on a stock car I wouldn't) Going nowhere fast is another good example of someone who took the time to test their intake and decided they liked it! Stop using the term "everyone" as that is super misleading.

So unless you have some solid proof that the Injen sp is "ruining" our cars, quit with all that. In the cases you mentioned there wasn't a real resolution as to how it could be the intakes fault. I know 7 people who run the injen. None of us have issues. So does that mean we got lucky or do only people who complain bother to speak?

OP did make a very good point
Without a proper tune, its pointless in having a aftermarket intake.
None of these intakes do squat without the required mod work

With all of that said. I'm getting the Bugermotorsports intake when it comes out. why? because I like the company, it looks cool, its open and I'm not paying 400+ for the vwr/forge or even the other injen. Its not worth it Imo.

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Flexington,

We've gone over this. We have dozens of users taking off the intake, and reporting that it made the car better. (one in this thread, two just a few threads down and these are just the recent ones)

We have owners who had the SP and took temp data, showing +50F temp differences in BAT's just cruising around.

We have Injen SP owners who replaced their intake with Injen Evo's with temp data, showing the differences.

What more do you want? It's getting tiresome continuously posting and reposting the same forum links with all the information over and over and over again. It's a piece of shit intake. Don't put it on your car.

I don't get any money from someone not buying an injen SP intake. I just try to help people save money by making informed decisions about their cars. Bit aggravating when you get attacked for trying to do so. I'm sorry some of you made a bad call with your intake purchase, and feel that you have to defend it instead of admitting it might have been an error. Don't encourage others to make the same mistakes.