GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Not Spooling Properly Under Load / Help Please!

tm978275

Guys, I really need some guidance here.

Over the summer I had an issue where the turbo wind-up would sputter under hard acceleration. I was running a Neuspeed power module w/ Injun intake back then.

Given that it was a hot summer, I summed it up to heat saturation and more or less dealt with it, avoided heavy acceleration.

Fast forward to today; it's mid-50's (F), Neuspeed module is gone. I'm running Eurodyne's Stage 1.5 93 Octane. Same problem under heavy acceleration. If I ease up on the pedal a bit, it spools no problem and sounds normal (as well as puts out the power it should), but if I lean on it harder, I don't get more power and the turbo sounds like it's repeating the first 1-2 seconds of trying to wind up, over and over again. (If that makes any sense)

I'm not getting any codes.

Also, I ruled out shitty fuel as the issue; I filled up on Shell 93 and put a whole 32oz can of Torco in there, so octane rating is definitely not the issue.

Any help would be really appreciated...

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
What gears is this happening in? Do you have s boost gauge to monitor what is going on? It is possible that this is normal behavior for the car. In 1 and 2 the torque is limited and will dump all your boost and you have to build it back up again when it reaches that point. There is a way to disable this via VCDS. If this is happening in 3rd as well, then I would say this is not normal.

tm978275

What gears is this happening in? Do you have s boost gauge to monitor what is going on? It is possible that this is normal behavior for the car. In 1 and 2 the torque is limited and will dump all your boost and you have to build it back up again when it reaches that point. There is a way to disable this via VCDS. If this is happening in 3rd as well, then I would say this is not normal.

It's non-existent in 1st and 2nd. Usually happens in 3rd-5th.

alerxovawo

Ready to race!
I've had the same thing happen. Not every pull, but it does this same sputtering that you described every now and then. Boost is holding strong according to my p3. In for more info

jerodbroten

Ready to race!
I had a similar thing happen. As weird as it may sound, I took my injen intake off, put on the stock and it stopped.

tm978275

I had a similar thing happen. As weird as it may sound, I took my injen intake off, put on the stock and it stopped.

Weird or not, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. Are you running stage 2 with a stock intake now?

I've had the same thing happen. Not every pull, but it does this same sputtering that you described every now and then. Boost is holding strong according to my p3. In for more info

Do you have a CAI installed?

alerxovawo

Ready to race!
Yes. Forge intake and VWR inlet pipe. Only started after installing the inlet pipe

tm978275

Yes. Forge intake and VWR inlet pipe. Only started after installing the inlet pipe

I should have some free time tomorrow, if the weather isn't too awful I'll throw the stock airbox back in and take her on the highway...I'll report back.

Even if that is the case...how would this make any sense though?

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I should have some free time tomorrow, if the weather isn't too awful I'll throw the stock airbox back in and take her on the highway...I'll report back.

Even if that is the case...how would this make any sense though?

That Injen intake has given people issues it's a poorly designed intake that's why Injen made the evo3000 intake. I'm guilty for having that intake and sold it in 3 days of ownership. It's just a easy way to determine if it's the issue or not, but I would reflash the software again after swapping in the airbox so the car can relearn. Invest in a better closed intake system or a simple drop in filter with a silicone inlet hose.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
If it continues, see if you can get a log with some pulls so we can check out what's happening :)

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Look and listen for any air leaks, a small split can be devastating to power on turbo cars.

tm978275

Well boys, all I can say is...anyone interested in buying a Injen CAI? It's in great condition! :D

Seriously, put stock airbox in and reflashed Eurodyne's 1.5 93 octane. Went on the highway and the issue is completely gone.

I'm so glad I asked before going to town and replacing the plugs/coils.

So at this point, is it even worth performance wise to do anything to replace the stock airbox? Or modify it perhaps?

Thanks again for the help.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, open up the driver side grille and get a panel filter. There are aftermarket intakes which make power, but expect to pay a decent amount.