GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PowerDemon’s '15 MK7

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
So I heard back from Nick@EQT and we will be turning on NLS to see if we can improve our 60-130 time. I also spoke with Patrick and he should be hooking me up with an upgraded PUT sensor which according to Nick should allow me to run 31-32PSI. On 31 or 32 PSI I hope to hit that magical mid 9 second 60-130 mark that I have in my mind. Plus I get to say I’m running 30 psi 🤣

I really should just build the motor, install MPI, and run full E85. 600whp or bust. If you have traction below 130mph wyd?

My Hawk 9012 pads should be coming in tomorrow as well. I’m going to follow Stoptech's guide on uneven pad deposit removal and hopefully we can get this vibration cleared up.

Do you have any suspension mods and what tires are you running?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Do you have any suspension mods and what tires are you running?

My traction is fine. Sorry I was just joking because high horsepower FWD cars (like twist) complain about never getting traction below 100mph. I'm running 235 section Firehawk Indy 500s with BFI Stage 2 motor/trans mounts and a Powerflex Black Series hybrid puck. Otherwise suspension is stock. My car only has traction issues in first and a little in second.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Well there goes hoping for 425-450HP. 😂

images.jpeg

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
My traction is fine. Sorry I was just joking because high horsepower FWD cars (like twist) complain about never getting traction below 100mph. I'm running 235 section Firehawk Indy 500s with BFI Stage 2 motor/trans mounts and a Powerflex Black Series hybrid puck. Otherwise suspension is stock. My car only has traction issues in first and a little in second.

Traction issues as in wheel spin or hop?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Wheelspin. I haven’t felt wheel hop since I upgraded the mounts.

Maybe upgrade your stock suspension to something like a cup kit or if you track your car, then maybe get some coilovers. I get a little bit of wheel spin but it hooks up pretty good but I don't floor it in 1st. I'm sure if I did then I would get a lot of wheel spin.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Must be nice....

Which mounts are you running?

Maybe upgrade your stock suspension to something like a cup kit or if you track your car, then maybe get some coilovers. I get a little bit of wheel spin but it hooks up pretty good but I don't floor it in 1st. I'm sure if I did then I would get a lot of wheel spin.

I don’t really launch this car enough to justify upgrading the suspension just for digs. I also don’t track it. She’s a pure streetcar 😂 If I did start launching more though I’d grab a set of Nitto NT05s and see where we end up. If it continued to be an issue I would then consider more suspension mods.

I’d love to do coils but I think I’m done spending money on this car (famous last words). The next one will definitely be on coils though. Most likely the EQT ones or Bilsteins.

I know you’re on SuperPro mounts, do you have anything else done to your car suspension wise? You’re also on the Michelin PS4S right?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
So I just installed the Hawk 9012 Blue race pads to clear up my uneven pad deposits/hotspots. One of the many reasons I love the Stoptech kit is the ease of swapping pads. Start to finish, including jacking the car and torquing everything back down it took me 19:32 to swap the new pads on! Very neat design.

These 9012 pads are recommended by Stoptech to clear uneven pad deposits and hotspots. They are an aggressive track compound that when cold has extremely high rotor wear. At low speed stops you can hear the pads. They sound like sandpaper.

FYI these pad deposits/hot spots are not because of anything wrong with the Stoptech kit. The hot spots/deposits are entirely my fault because I failed to perform an appropriate bed in procedure when I installed the kit. This is entirely because of user error.

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

After I put them on I did some slow speed stops around the subdivision just to make sure they would stop and I didn’t install the pads upside down or something lol. I took it out on the street and did about 5 sets of 3 stops from 60-30mph 90% force with cool down time in between stops. The idea of this is to scrub the rotors without getting them hot enough to start transferring pad material because I am switching back to the Stoptech pads. I wasn’t sure what to expect but when I got back home and inspected the rotors HOLY CRAP they look brand new. What a difference!!

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

I also got these pads for a steal at $139 from tire rack on a special. I'm going to take the car back out a bit later and perform a few more stops to make sure everything is cleared off and them I am going to swap the Stoptech Sport pads back on. Then I will do a full bed in procedure with those and hopefully we will get good pad transfer and I will no longer have this issue. This is a great deal as opposed to buying new rotors. I highly recommend this method to anyone with rotor vibration or hot spots.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Which mounts are you running?

I don’t really launch this car enough to justify upgrading the suspension just for digs. I also don’t track it. She’s a pure streetcar 😂 If I did start launching more though I’d grab a set of Nitto NT05s and see where we end up. If it continued to be an issue I would then consider more suspension mods.

I’d love to do coils but I think I’m done spending money on this car (famous last words). The next one will definitely be on coils though. Most likely the EQT ones or Bilsteins.

I know you’re on SuperPro mounts, do you have anything else done to your car suspension wise? You’re also on the Michelin PS4S right?

Koni Yellows with VWR springs. With that setup along with my SuperPro mounts and PS4S, it grips the pavement pretty damn good.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So I just installed the Hawk 9012 Blue race pads to clear up my uneven pad deposits/hotspots. One of the many reasons I love the Stoptech kit is the ease of swapping pads. Start to finish, including jacking the car and torquing everything back down it took me 19:32 to swap the new pads on! Very neat design.

These 9012 pads are recommended by Stoptech to clear uneven pad deposits and hotspots. They are an aggressive track compound that when cold has extremely high rotor wear. At low speed stops you can hear the pads. They sound like sandpaper.

FYI these pad deposits/hot spots are not because of anything wrong with the Stoptech kit. The hot spots/deposits are entirely my fault because I failed to perform an appropriate bed in procedure when I installed the kit. This is entirely because of user error.

View attachment 173269

View attachment 173270

After I put them on I did some slow speed stops around the subdivision just to make sure they would stop and I didn’t install the pads upside down or something lol. I took it out on the street and did about 5 sets of 3 stops from 60-30mph 90% force with cool down time in between stops. The idea of this is to scrub the rotors without getting them hot enough to start transferring pad material because I am switching back to the Stoptech pads. I wasn’t sure what to expect but when I got back home and inspected the rotors HOLY CRAP they look brand new. What a difference!!

View attachment 173274

View attachment 173273

I also got these pads for a steal at $139 from tire rack on a special. I'm going to take the car back out a bit later and perform a few more stops to make sure everything is cleared off and them I am going to swap the Stoptech Sport pads back on. Then I will do a full bed in procedure with those and hopefully we will get good pad transfer and I will no longer have this issue. This is a great deal as opposed to buying new rotors. I highly recommend this method to anyone with rotor vibration or hot spots.

Do they make the Hawk pads that will fit the PP brakes?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Do they make the Hawk pads that will fit the PP brakes?

If you're talking about Hawk pads in general, yes they make a variety of street and track pads that fit the OEM PP brakes on the GTI. If you are asking about the 9012 compound that I used they do not make that compound in a size that fits the PP brakes on the GTI as far as I can tell.

I finally got the rotors ground down again and I picked up a new set of pads because I was not pleased with the bed in results from the used Stoptech Street Performance pads that were on there before. I got a set of Hawk Performance HPS pads which like the Stoptech pad is supposed to be a performance street pad. After the initial bed in I like them so far. I like them better than the Stoptech pads actually, they have better bite and the pedal feel is improved as well. I also think the brake modulation is easier/more controllable with these pads. I'm not sure if they stop any faster, because I haven't really gotten a chance to test them out too much more but so far I am pleased with them.

For anyone looking for more details on the process of removing my uneven pad deposits/hotspots and what I did view my thread here.