GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Pack LSD Service?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The haldex service interval is 30k miles.

The PP diff works very similar to the way a haldex diff works (they even use the same fluid).

Yes, oils degrade over time, but when you have clutch packs putting particulates into an unfiltered oil, it seems like mileage makes a lot more sense than time IMO.

People can do what they want, but there's no way I'm taking a chance on an electronic LSD ($$$) over a $33 bottle of fluid and 10 minutes every year and a half.

So your saying my GTI PP is as good as an R? :)
Guess we will get it changed out. Thanks.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Not questioning just want to find the wording.
Looking in my "USA Warranty and Maintenance book.
Did not see anything. Some mention page 58-59. Book does not go this high.
Did not see anything in owners manual.
My dealers service info does not show anything.

Is there a book I do not have.
Would like to locate info.

armedferret

Ready to race!
Not questioning just want to find the wording.
Looking in my "USA Warranty and Maintenance book.
Did not see anything. Some mention page 58-59. Book does not go this high.
Did not see anything in owners manual.
My dealers service info does not show anything.

Is there a book I do not have.
Would like to locate info.

I'm in this camp as well. 56 pages (not counting back cover) and nothing anywhere about the LSD in the US books that came with my 17 SE.

Definitely would love to know.

mhouck

Passed Driver's Ed
The haldex service interval is 30k miles.

The PP diff works very similar to the way a haldex diff works (they even use the same fluid).

Yes, oils degrade over time, but when you have clutch packs putting particulates into an unfiltered oil, it seems like mileage makes a lot more sense than time IMO.

People can do what they want, but there's no way I'm taking a chance on an electronic LSD ($$$) over a $33 bottle of fluid and 10 minutes every year and a half.

I just spoke with a couple of shops. GTIs are front wheel drive, so all fluid exchange should be through the transmission. Basically the transmission gets serviced at the same time as the diff.

Sounds legit to me. I don't have a manual handy, can someone post a PDF?

SRoads

Ready to race!
I just spoke with a couple of shops. GTIs are front wheel drive, so all fluid exchange should be through the transmission. Basically the transmission gets serviced at the same time as the diff.

WRONG... the PP diff do not share fluid at all.

PP diff takes haldex fluid...trans takes gear oil

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie

Those shops are wrong. I got that kind of reply from a shop, too.

Then, I raised my car up and looked myself.
There's the drain plug for the DSG tranny; the tranny is more on the driver's side.
Next to it; more on the passenger's side, is the VAQ diff.
On the diff case, you can see the 8mm drain plug on the bottom, and an identical fill plug on the side that faces towards the driver's side.

DSG tranny: DSG fluid; about 5 bottles.
VAQ diff: Haldex fluid; 1 bottle.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

No.

Don't let those shops touch your car.

It doesn't have independent drain and fill plugs because it's a combined fluid supply.

It doesn't even take the same fluid.

Edit: Norm beat me to it. Must have responded between refreshes...damn Makers Mark.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I remember when FWD differentials shared fluids. Does a GTI without the LSD?

And how exactly does the LSD in a GTI work? If it takes Haldex fluid does that mean it actually has clutch packs like a real LSD, like a GM RWD vehicle? I'm assuming GM still uses traditional Posi-traction, but I could be wrong, because if you're familiar with them they used to require from 40-70 lb. ft. of torque just to initially turn the wheels. Not exactly conducive to high MPG.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I remember when FWD differentials shared fluids. Does a GTI without the LSD?

And how exactly does the LSD in a GTI work? If it takes Haldex fluid does that mean it actually has clutch packs like a real LSD, like a GM RWD vehicle? I'm assuming GM still uses traditional Posi-traction, but I could be wrong, because if you're familiar with them they used to require from 40-70 lb. ft. of torque just to initially turn the wheels. Not exactly conducive to high MPG.

It's a hydraulic clutch assembly.

There is an electronic control unit, pump, and clutch pack. Fluid pressure determines the clamping force.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
So, anybody have a Pic of this info in a manual?
One that comes in car? I have not found.
Dealer could not locate any info.
Either this was missed or unit is sealed but sounds like it is not.
Just wanting some documentation so I can direct dealer how to search.
Or I will just ask for Service Manager to contact VWoA for info.
Thanks.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Got the info located on page 50 (last page before records keeping) under additional services. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

There is nothing about VAQ diff service in that location in my manual. 2017 GTI Sport.

There is recommended service for haldex clutches for various models but nothing for GTI.

Last edited: