GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Pack LSD Service?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Dear lord .... well I learned something today!

On page 58, after the service @ 225000kms section (Canada), there's an Additional Service section. Every 3 years change PP diff.

I feel like an idiot now!

I've never read past all the service dates so I've never noticed this section before ... wow.

You stated 3 years.
Only 3 years or did it mention 30,000?
At work so manual not here or I would look.

bcgti

Ready to race!
Keep in mind my manual says ‘Canada Edition’ but it only lists 3 years ... there’s no km’s mentioned.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I live in a town of about 155,00 people with surrounding area, connecting towns that total about another 50,000 people. We have 1 VW dealer and they don't sell a ton of Golf's let alone GTi's. Last time I had my MK5 in I asked how many MK7 GTi's they had worked on, they said 1. Even the MK5 in my area isn't that prevalent, so if they aren't working on these cars regularly, they just don't know off the cuff answers to questions.

I would hope they have a good tutorial to go by when they work on cars they don't routinely work on.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Keep in mind my manual says ‘Canada Edition’ but it only lists 3 years ... there’s no km’s mentioned.

Keep in mind it says “time dependent service”, not distance. The last time I was in BC, I noticed that one year was composed of 12 mo or 365 days...no metric version of the calendar.

armedferret

Ready to race!
My US model warranty and maintenance book doesn't say a thing about differential fluid anywhere. Nor does the owner's manual. /shrug

zoominms3

Ready to race!
no mention of 30k, it just says 3 years.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Does it cost the same as changing the R's Haldex? I don't know how much fluid each takes or if one is easier to get to than the other.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Does it cost the same as changing the R's Haldex? I don't know how much fluid each takes or if one is easier to get to than the other.

It's less than 1L and easily accessible.

DIY will be 10-15 min and $33

mhouck

Passed Driver's Ed
’15 GTI, page 59 of the Maintennce Manual under time dependent maintenance items. Sport Differential GTI. Change every 3 years. Guess I am due in April.

Ahh..every three years. That makes way more sense than 30,000 miles. Guess I gotta year to go.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Ahh..every three years. That makes way more sense than 30,000 miles. Guess I gotta year to go.

The haldex service interval is 30k miles.

The PP diff works very similar to the way a haldex diff works (they even use the same fluid).

Yes, oils degrade over time, but when you have clutch packs putting particulates into an unfiltered oil, it seems like mileage makes a lot more sense than time IMO.

People can do what they want, but there's no way I'm taking a chance on an electronic LSD ($$$) over a $33 bottle of fluid and 10 minutes every year and a half.