GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NGK RS7 Plugs and other RS7 plug options thread

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

I'm running the silvers. Swapped them in last week and gapped to .025 and so far they're great. Only have a few hundred miles on them so we'll see how they look after a few thousand miles.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I'm running the silvers. Swapped them in last week and gapped to .025 and so far they're great. Only have a few hundred miles on them so we'll see how they look after a few thousand miles.

I left mine in for 10k before pulling them. Ran great the entire time, so good I sold my RS7s and bought another set of Silvers.

Knowing they conduct electricity better and deliver a stronger spark, I don't think I will go with a Iridium plug. I plan on changing every 10k anyway.

Lobtfu

Passed Driver's Ed
I put the silvers in on map stage 1 car feels feels less torque then stock plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amm5890

Passed Driver's Ed
Got a feeling my plugs are on the way out. I'm 30k miles on stock plugs and coils (coils should be fine for time being) I know apr suggests ikh24's for stage 2 cars. But would they be fine for stage 1 cobb ots? Or should I stick with stock?

If anyone else on here is cobb stage 1 please chime in and let me know what your best setup is.

Lobtfu

Passed Driver's Ed
I feel I may go back to stock, I also was thinking user error on putting them in. So are silvers or rs7 worth it for stage 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La Furia Roja

I feel I may go back to stock, I also was thinking user error on putting them in. So are silvers or rs7 worth it for stage 1?

No. You do not need the RS7 or Denso or what else instead a stock spark plugs.

Skoda MK3 VRS 220-245 stock h.p.
VW GTI 220-230 stock h.p.
Seat MK3 265-290 stock h.p.
Golf R 300 stock h.p.

Every one of this models has installed stock NGK Double Platinum Heat number 7.

Your Stage 1 APR is near 300-320 h.p. on engine.
The power is the same as Golf R and Cupra

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
^ good point about not just automatically going a step colder. That said, I did notice a few differences and things to consider. I apologize if already covered.

First, I found that is true that both the GTI and Golf R from the factory can use the same heat range 7 plugs, evening sharing the same OEM NGK part number, 06K905601B (GTI 2.0L CNTA engine only).
https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2016_GTI20L-MT/_53898_6700752/IGNITION-SYSTEM/9282155.html
https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2016_Golf-R/__6781687/IGNITION-SYSTEM-ELECTRICAL/9273221.html

And yes, you would need to justify big power gains to go colder. Many have pointed out that NGK gives a 75-100 HP guideline to help decide, but compression is really the key:
"Typically, for every 75-100 hp you add, you should go one step colder on the spark plug's heat range." Just before that they also state, "when compression is raised, along with the added power comes added heat...a colder heat range spark plug must be selected." So the concern is heat from compression which would make it a matter of evaluating both horsepower and torque. And we all know that turbocharged engines like ours can also raise torque through the roof with a tune.
https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about...l-plugs-always-necessary-on-a-modified-engine

So with that said, a 91 octane APR Stage 1 tune on GTI has a stated increase of 78HP/105TQ; increase of 87HP/114TQ for 93 octane. On its face it does seem APR has grounds to both recommend a stage colder in the GTI, and most definitely going colder in the Golf R when your spark plugs could really be the same as certain GTI's. Power tunes stretch the limits of heat range 7.
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Question: I installed some brisk silvers and the car runs great but decided to check with obdeleven and make sure there are no misfires. I went for a 5 min drive and got 5 misfires in cyl 1-3. Is that normal. Also I get 1 misfire in cyl 2-3 at start up.

Nothing on boost and acceleration.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Question: I installed some brisk silvers and the car runs great but decided to check with obdeleven and make sure there are no misfires.
That's interesting. I wouldn't even think to check for misfires until I got a CEL. I wish U.S. doctors were that thorough.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion