GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 suspension issues/noises/advice. CLICK HERE FIRST!

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I like this idea, just assumed he had stock pads still so my moneys on you’re correct!
I have centric posi-quiet pads. Ironic if they are the cause of the noise lol

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Has anyone tried fitting TT bearings? Looks like they are similar but perhaps a bit more durable as the inner metal lip/spring contact point comes up to protect the rubber core. FCP lists them as cross compatible with the RS3.

5Q0412249E/F

1654438238950.png

8S0412249

1654438331876.png

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Clunk/pop at lock or near? Occasional?

Still need to make sure I didn’t leave my caliper hangar on the spring, did that recently 🤦🏽‍♂️🫠

kyle251

Car(s)
MK7 golf R estate
have same issue with loud clunk coming from left front when going over small sharp bumps with DCC set to normal. with DCC is set to comfort or if its raining outside the clunk is virtually gone. ive replaced basiclly every component including new stretch bolts on the front end, new struts, bearings & top hats and clunk is still there. only thing left to replace is wheel bearing. ill keep y'all posted if i make any progress with this

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Gonna post this here in the hopes someone else has had this and knows the cause. Current theory is control arm. Front struts are new, top mounts are new, strut bearings are new, end links are new. None of that changed or eliminated this sound.

Best heard with headphones. The noise is most audible over small bumps and goes away usually (not always) after a few min of driving and/or after hitting a couple big bumps.

kyle251

Car(s)
MK7 golf R estate
Gonna post this here in the hopes someone else has had this and knows the cause. Current theory is control arm. Front struts are new, top mounts are new, strut bearings are new, end links are new. None of that changed or eliminated this sound.

Best heard with headphones. The noise is most audible over small bumps and goes away usually (not always) after a few min of driving and/or after hitting a couple big bumps.
This is very close to the clunking noise mine makes. Arms, bushings, ball joints, struts/mounts have all been replaced. Beginning to wonder if it’s just a feature of the crappy DCC design

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
This is very close to the clunking noise mine makes. Arms, bushings, ball joints, struts/mounts have all been replaced. Beginning to wonder if it’s just a feature of the crappy DCC design
Interesting. Mine isn’t DCC and it’s on Koni struts and shocks. Perhaps something to do with the subframe? Those bushings get creaky so maybe they get clunky too?

kyle251

Car(s)
MK7 golf R estate
Interesting. Mine isn’t DCC and it’s on Koni struts and shocks. Perhaps something to do with the subframe? Those bushings get creaky so maybe they get clunky too?
im really not sure at this stage. ive had the subframe out to install a deadset kit which i thought would eliminate the knock. no luck. the noise almost completely disappears when DCC is set to comfort

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I just got a passthrough wrench, its a 7mm to stabilize the rod for the strut nut correct? Cant remember the strut nut size either. @GTI Jake do you remember offhand? Wish I watched your content before I did my spring DIY as I committed the cardinal sin. Did do some weird shit to try to stabilize the strut so it didnt get super overspun, but it did spin.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I just got a passthrough wrench, its a 7mm to stabilize the rod for the strut nut correct? Cant remember the strut nut size either. @GTI Jake do you remember offhand? Wish I watched your content before I did my spring DIY as I committed the cardinal sin. Did do some weird shit to try to stabilize the strut so it didnt get super overspun, but it did spin.

I haven’t done a Mk7 suspension installation in a long time, so I don’t remember off hand.

The other issue is aftermarket parts normally have different hardware sizes than OEM, so you basically need to look at parts before the day of install or double down on having a complete set of tools to cover a range of sizes.

Lately I’ve been referring people to a different local shop for clutch & suspension installations because I stay so busy with fabrication work (which I enjoy doing a lot more than turning wrenches, as I get plenty of that at my aviation job).

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I haven’t done a Mk7 suspension installation in a long time, so I don’t remember off hand.

The other issue is aftermarket parts normally have different hardware sizes than OEM, so you basically need to look at parts before the day of install or double down on having a complete set of tools to cover a range of sizes.

Lately I’ve been referring people to a different local shop for clutch & suspension installations because I stay so busy with fabrication work (which I enjoy doing a lot more than turning wrenches, as I get plenty of that at my aviation job).
Okay thanks anyway, its the OEM one, so it looks like its a 21mm

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Sounds right

Just be sure to turn the nut, and hold with the triple square. If you do the opposite it’ll most likely strip.
Right, the tool going through the passthrough wrench is for stabilizing not for turning. I have some light clunking, so I might give them a tighten. Its temporary anyway I have some BC BR's to put on I havent gotten around to it.