GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 suspension issues/noises/advice. CLICK HERE FIRST!

Inprogress

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I

It shouldn’t move, but if it’s really close the car flexing could allow it to touch (it’s mounted in rubber)

Also, there’s no grease points or need for lube on mk7 bushings unless you have something aftermarket that specifically calls for it

i'll have the rest of the strut top cut next week but for the time being, I tried bending back the tab that's directly over the nut. I did bend it a little but the tapping/creaking noise is still there.

I thought I read on the forum that some members spray the LCA bushings with lithium grease and how it helped them. I did spray silicone lubricant on them. It does seem like the sound has become less pronounced, but it's still there

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I’ve never ran into any issues with what I’m guessing you’re referring to is the rear suspension. I always use a jack to hold each individual control arm up, but didn’t realize people were having issues with this. Most self induced issues I’ve see people create are up front
I made an issue up front somehow. Installed Eibach pro kit springs in March and its been fine up until this past weekend. Now I'm getting a metallic sound going over bumps that sounds very similar to driving over a loose manhole cover. I'm going to get the car up in the air this weekend to look at the sway bar bushings and end links, hopefully one of those is the culprit. If not, any ideas? I did not re-use any hardware during the install, used proper torque on all fasteners, blue loctite on strut nuts. Also did a brake job at the same time

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I made an issue up front somehow. Installed Eibach pro kit springs in March and its been fine up until this past weekend. Now I'm getting a metallic sound going over bumps that sounds very similar to driving over a loose manhole cover. I'm going to get the car up in the air this weekend to look at the sway bar bushings and end links, hopefully one of those is the culprit. If not, any ideas? I did not re-use any hardware during the install, used proper torque on all fasteners, blue loctite on strut nuts. Also did a brake job at the same time

Sway bar end links are the common culprit there, but definitely double check your caliper bolts as well

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Sway bar end links are the common culprit there, but definitely double check your caliper bolts as well
Will do. Hoping it's one of those two things because I fackin' hate suspension work but those things are easy to fix

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Will do. Hoping it's one of those two things because I fackin' hate suspension work but those things are easy to fix

I actually induced a issue on my own car recently. Installed B14, SuperPro LCA, and new OEM ball joints and mounting hardware.

Over uneven bumps only, like a pot hole, I seem to have the infamous “log noise” from the rear subframe. Threw the car back on the lift yesterday to rule out anything obviously loose and it all looks good, so I might try the Audi Chassis Dampener

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I actually induced a issue on my own car recently. Installed B14, SuperPro LCA, and new OEM ball joints and mounting hardware.

Over uneven bumps only, like a pot hole, I seem to have the infamous “log noise” from the rear subframe. Threw the car back on the lift yesterday to rule out anything obviously loose and it all looks good, so I might try the Audi Chassis Dampener
"Log noise"? I'm not familiar with that one

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
"Log noise"? I'm not familiar with that one

It comes up from time to time, I’m digging for that thread someone started for giving stuff to other members right now (can’t find it, wanna pass on my Audi rear spring pads).

Someone just posted the OEM PN for the dampener I’ll post it once I find that too.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
It comes up from time to time, I’m digging for that thread someone started for giving stuff to other members right now (can’t find it, wanna pass on my Audi rear spring pads).

Someone just posted the OEM PN for the dampener I’ll post it once I find that too.
I've seen the dampener and heard mixed reviews. A lot of people don't seem to be sure of its effect, some people say it has fixed their issue. I guess its a case-by-case basis. Hope you can track down your sound too

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...c-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/

Link for anyone who needs it. Yeah I’m kinda bummed to have an issue after being the advocate for solving everyone else’s problems with suspension noise lol. It is what it is though I’ll figure it out. I installed two sets of B16, one of those cars has the same H&R 26mm RSB and Moog endlinks as I do with zero noise so I might also buy new bolts for the upper shock mounts as well to eliminate that possibility (I reused them in the rear).

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...c-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/

Link for anyone who needs it. Yeah I’m kinda bummed to have an issue after being the advocate for solving everyone else’s problems with suspension noise lol. It is what it is though I’ll figure it out. I installed two sets of B16, one of those cars has the same H&R 26mm RSB and Moog endlinks as I do with zero noise so I might also buy new bolts for the upper shock mounts as well to eliminate that possibility (I reused them in the rear).
Hey, sometimes even SME's run into some snags. I'd say the positive stuff you've put together for the community far outweigh the one tiny issue you encountered.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
After reading Golf Dave’s thread I suspect the new rear shock mounts might be the culprit. Easy enough to swap them out to eliminate them (I still have my originals).

I’ll follow up with the results, might as well try what’s free and go from there.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I have written much on this over the years so take a look at my views on my website vwgolfmk7problems

I have also fitted the Audi damper this year and in my view it does reduce the noise from the rear. This damper will however do nothing for what has been referred to as "the rolling log syndrome" It certainly is not going to eliminate rattles. You will see from the website that the rattle came from the VW rear shock absorbers. I have had 2 MK7 GTI's and both had the same problem that was resolved by fitting Bilstein B4's to the original MK7 and then Koni Actives to the facelifted model.

My main gripe is quite a high frequency hollow ringing type sound that is of a frequency that is very irritating. This was not present on the on the original MK7 and that car was fitted with the same size wheels and the same make & type of tyre. I now have quite an amount of sound insulation fitted but this particular type of ringing sound is ever present and interestingly the frequency does not change with speed and can be heard even at 5/10 mph. I have also come to the conclusion that tire noise increases as road surface temperatures can significantly increase at times during summer months in the UK. On the newer super-smooth surfaces then the car is extremely quiet but many roads are not laid with the quiet tarmac that is thankfully becoming more common place.

It is doubtful I would ever purchase another Golf. If I did then it would be after a 48-hour test drive and not a 15 minutes drive around the block where the salesman is often more interested in demonstrating how wonderful the sound system is, as opposed to anything else, plus it would have to have DCC fitted and be significantly quieter than the current GTI, especially when used on long trips over perhaps not so smooth surfaces.

Last edited:

Beechy2

Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK7
Hi guys,

New to the forum here and a recent MK7 GTI owner!
I’m having problems with my front suspension. I have a big creak happening when going over speed bumps etc I.E when the suspension is compressed/uncompressed.
I’m also getting a very bad clunk/rattle when hitting sudden/shock bumps in the road. It’s been back to the garage twice now and this is what they’ve said…
CA694ED0-7BAD-41CD-96FC-1452FDCE10EE.jpeg

Here a link to the videos:

Rattle: https://youtube.com/shorts/S4Pad0bnaPI?feature=share

Creak: https://youtube.com/shorts/BzdQYNEjMN8?feature=share

Any ideas that the issues are?

Thanks,
Jonny

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hi guys,

New to the forum here and a recent MK7 GTI owner!
I’m having problems with my front suspension. I have a big creak happening when going over speed bumps etc I.E when the suspension is compressed/uncompressed.
I’m also getting a very bad clunk/rattle when hitting sudden/shock bumps in the road. It’s been back to the garage twice now and this is what they’ve said…View attachment 230425
Here a link to the videos:

Rattle: https://youtube.com/shorts/S4Pad0bnaPI?feature=share

Creak: https://youtube.com/shorts/BzdQYNEjMN8?feature=share

Any ideas that the issues are?

Thanks,
Jonny

Incompetent techs