GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 suspension issues/noises/advice. CLICK HERE FIRST!

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Sounds like a ol wooden ship lol.

What’s the scoop. Recently messed with? Non OEM parts involved? Without knowing any of the above I’d throw a dart at strut mount/bearing
Long bizarre story. The issue has been here for almost a year. Started out as clunking front right. Then months later or rather about 2 weeks ago the sound stopped entirely for a bit. Then I got squeaking front right for like max a few days then nothing. Did my track event (yeah I know lol).
Get done and shit is now doing that but left side now..
ST XTA coilovers. Whiteline Front sway with oem links. Friend telling me my shit needs to be preloaded again.
Overall the main that has been plagueing me and still is that the car doesn't feel right. It wants to wander I guess is a way I could put it. Doesn't feel confident. I suppose if anything underneath there starts to give then that could cause that but yeah.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Long bizarre story. The issue has been here for almost a year. Started out as clunking front right. Then months later or rather about 2 weeks ago the sound stopped entirely for a bit. Then I got squeaking front right for like max a few days then nothing. Did my track event (yeah I know lol).
Get done and shit is now doing that but left side now..
ST XTA coilovers. Whiteline Front sway with oem links. Friend telling me my shit needs to be preloaded again.
Overall the main that has been plagueing me and still is that the car doesn't feel right. It wants to wander I guess is a way I could put it. Doesn't feel confident. I suppose if anything underneath there starts to give then that could cause that but yeah.

Sounds like the subframe could be at play here, if it shifted that would explain the sound swapping sides (camber change)

BUT, generally that sound is strut mount related. Any time I’ve had wander it (happen on one of my Mk2 & Suburban) it was unintentional dynamic alignment aka shit was loose/broken

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
I'm thinking sub frame is loose possibly. Gonna go to Les Schwab and have them check the bolts.
I had a friend turn the wheel while I listened and it only happens when turned full lock either way when stationary. If I start to move off the driveway you immediately hear it.
So far it sounds like it's not at the strut area but rather closer in toward the center.
I'm guessing that could explain why the car feels off? I figure a bad strut mount/bearing wouldn't cause the car to want to wander at speed.

jaypoto

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S DSG
What a great thread!....I had some rear end squeaking during undulating road conditions and couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from. Tried swaying the rear of the car back and forth but got no noise. I have Bilstein B16's and a Eurocode rear sway bar....then it occurred to me to check the sway bar bushings since they are just rubber - dry as a bone. Lubed them up with some grease and she's all good again, no noises.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Update on mine.
I doubt this is all the issues but none the less. Driver side front end link came loose and nut came off and is gone.
I have ST XTAs and like a dumbass they came with longer end links but I assumed they were basically the same as OEM so I left the OEMs on for the install.
Probably wasn't helping my cause by doing that..
So i'll just swap the end links over. I'm guessing this is why the car wanted to wander and on track it leaned very hard/way more body roll.
And also my rear shocks are leaking.. I doubt that is all the issues i'm having.. but atleast we got some things isolated.

Last edited:

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
Welp, both sides of the front sway currently don't have an end link...
And the noise is still there albeit I think it's worse..
Here's a new sound recording under my when I turn the wheel while stationary
It seems to be easier to replicate the noise.
Would a lack of end links cause this? I couldn't see how it would but..
At this point I'm lost. Fucking hell I hate this car...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Welp, both sides of the front sway currently don't have an end link...
And the noise is still there albeit I think it's worse..
Here's a new sound recording under my when I turn the wheel while stationary
It seems to be easier to replicate the noise.
Would a lack of end links cause this? I couldn't see how it would but..
At this point I'm lost. Fucking hell I hate this car...
Rack and pinion?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Shit maybe. I'm terrified of what this all is going to cost me.

My neighbor has a MQB A3 rack FS, but I doubt that’s it.

The 2019 MQB cars are notorious for bad steering racks (I personally know two people who’ve had them replaced under warranty), and they make noise all the way at the end of its travel (aka turned full lock) and it sounds like mud tires rubbing on a truck that doesn’t have enough lift (gear stripping sound). It may be poor recording quality from your phone, but I don’t get that vibe from what you posted.

Link to part out:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/a3-full-car-part-out.419615/

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
My neighbor has a MQB A3 rack FS, but I doubt that’s it.

The 2019 MQB cars are notorious for bad steering racks (I personally know two people who’ve had them replaced under warranty), and they make noise all the way at the end of its travel (aka turned full lock) and it sounds like mud tires rubbing on a truck that doesn’t have enough lift (gear stripping sound). It may be poor recording quality from your phone, but I don’t get that vibe from what you posted.

Link to part out:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/a3-full-car-part-out.419615/
They make noise only full lock.. or throughout the whole turn?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
They make noise only full lock.. or throughout the whole turn?

It’s been a while, but IIRC it’s only at or near full lock.

The first one I diagnosed the owner of the car said it sounded like it was rubbing the fender liner on tight turns and he could feel it in the steering wheel.

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
It’s been a while, but IIRC it’s only at or near full lock.

The first one I diagnosed the owner of the car said it sounded like it was rubbing the fender liner on tight turns and he could feel it in the steering wheel.
I can feel it underneath me. If I turn left, sounds like it's left under. Same with right, right and under. Fuck this car