GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
NO! The turbo is shit lol. Lemme vent

LoL i dont doubt the turbo is not the best. But there are other factors to consider. The lower output tunes like Uni JB1/JB4 have not had as many popped turbos as ED HT or APT HT. Protuned cobb cars has been quite reliable also, based on the turbos that have gone. In all fairness to IHI.

Altitude also is a major factor. Of most of the newer IS20'S that have blown many were in elevation 5000-8000 feet above sea level. Which is very stressful on the turbos if you are running an aggressive high boots tune meant for sea level. Just another example to consider.

Last edited:

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Good info in here. 1 day we shall have a solution to the real issue!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Good info in here. 1 day we shall have a solution to the real issue!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easy solution... CTS boss kit ;)

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Are there any other companies besides littco that do great work in the U.S.
None. Dan(Littco) has specifically custom designed the bearing upgrades for this turbo. For balancing he is the only one besides TTE that does VSR balancing on these turbos.

I don't know what the other services cost but its around $1300 shipped to and from Littco for hybrid work on IS20 or IS38. You get a VSR balanced turbo with upgraded bearings, machined insert in place of ceramic, machined compressor and turbine housings, larger custom built billet 7 blade compressor and inconel 8 blade turbine wheels.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Altitude also is a major factor. Of most of the newer IS20'S that have blown many were in elevation 5000-8000 feet above sea level. Which is very stressful on the turbos if you are running an aggressive high boots tune meant for sea level. Just another example to consider.

UM does take that into consideration. A 28PSI tune at sea level will not call for 28PSI at 5200ft, that is where the problems happen.:)

WOLF

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
Our in house "IS38+" is gonna go through heavy stress testing this coming week conducted by me personally ;). More reliable, more power and %100 IS38 flash tune friendly.
We made a few changes in the carthridge and oil feed/drain lines but more details will be released at release.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Didn't RJ blow his littco turbo? Not a lot of feedback about these yet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
First one blew in 500 miles or less as something was wrong after balancing. 2nd one got Dan's new upgraded bearing packs and ran 28-29psi without issue putting down 440+whp SAE and did 170+mph without much issue on APR/Jb4. Though due to lack of custom tuning(he didn't want to use Cobb or UM) with Maestro which he tried out and said sucked trying to dial it in he gave up on the turbo. Being that he missed the IS38 midrange he sold the hybrid last week and got rid of Maestro and went back to stock IS38 and APR/Jb4 setup to try running faster times.

My hybrid is being completed and we will see for the first time what a properly tuned Littco turbo does on a Cobb tuned GTI.

Last edited:

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Our in house "IS38+" is gonna go through heavy stress testing this coming week conducted by me personally ;). More reliable, more power and %100 IS38 flash tune friendly.
We made a few changes in the carthridge and oil feed/drain lines but more details will be released at release.
Dan has already manufacturered custom bearings, machined CHRA, clearanced ceramic inserts or machined replacement and VSR(a must) balances the turbo. His hybrid turbos and stock turbo have zero issues with these parts and work being done.