GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time pulled over...some questions.

Dubvee

Go Kart Champion
I've been pulled over 3 times in 14 years. All 3 for speeding, never got a break. Each time was given a ticket for the exact speed I was going. Each time went to court and was given no breaks there either. Full points, full fines, zero leniency.

If I'm going to be treated "by the book" then EVERYONE should also be treated that way. Period.

You were probably being an asshole.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
We're talking years apart in different states with different cars. If anyone can have bad luck, it will be me.

Luck should have nothing to do with how a traffic ticket is dealt with, that was my point. If I get pulled over in 2007 in Utah going 80 in a 65 I should get a ticket for going 80 in a 65. If Jesse Jackson gets pulled over tomorrow in Georgia going 80 in a 65 he should get a ticket for going 80 in a 65. All people are supposed to be treated equally by the law.

Are you guys really arguing that the law should not apply equally to everyone?

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
FFR Cobra, GX470
We're talking years apart in different states with different cars. If anyone can have bad luck, it will be me.

Luck should have nothing to do with how a traffic ticket is dealt with, that was my point. If I get pulled over in 2007 in Utah going 80 in a 65 I should get a ticket for going 80 in a 65. If Jesse Jackson gets pulled over tomorrow in Georgia going 80 in a 65 he should get a ticket for going 80 in a 65. All people are supposed to be treated equally by the law.

So you'd rather speed cameras?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
So you'd rather speed cameras?

What for?

We have the technology to put speed-monitoring GPS units in every car.

We have the technology to program those units with the speed limits of all known roads.

We have the technology to integrate those units with engine management systems and prevent anyone from speeding, thus eliminating ALL speeding tickets forever.

Speeding is a bullshit "crime" that should not exist. It exists solely for revenue generation.

outshined

Go Kart Champion

Did you read this?
If I wrote everyone I stopped every time, I would be doing that all day. Also would be writing failure to signal tickets, faulty equipment tickets, wide left and right turn tickets etc....it would be fucking stupid beyond belief. Go look at the traffic code and see how many minor violations you make every day that don't get enforced. There is the letter of the law and spirit of the law. I don't write tickets unless there is a more serious offense attached, such as DUI, or the guy has felony warrants, or he's affiliated. The way you want things done is not realistic, and I'm sure everyone who's ever gotten a break appreciates the fact cops have discretion.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
If I wrote everyone I stopped every time, I would be doing that all day. Also would be writing failure to signal tickets, faulty equipment tickets, wide left and right turn tickets etc....it would be fucking stupid beyond belief. Go look at the traffic code and see how many minor violations you make every day that don't get enforced. There is the letter of the law and spirit of the law. I don't write tickets unless there is a more serious offense attached, such as DUI, or the guy has felony warrants, or he's affiliated. The way you want things done is not realistic, and I'm sure everyone who's ever gotten a break appreciates the fact cops have discretion.

Enforcing the law "would be fucking stupid beyond belief" :lol:

...yeah that sounds about like the attitude I want a police officer to have.

If you don't believe in the law, give your badge to someone who does.

outshined

Go Kart Champion
What for?

We have the technology to put speed-monitoring GPS units in every car.

We have the technology to program those units with the speed limits of all known roads.

We have the technology to integrate those units with engine management systems and prevent anyone from speeding, thus eliminating ALL speeding tickets forever.

Speeding is a bullshit "crime" that should not exist. It exists solely for revenue generation.
Write your representatives. Assemble.

outshined

Go Kart Champion

Most states grant officers legal discretion. Don't like it? Write your representatives. Assemble.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I have experience in both NY and GA. If you can appear in court, you should. Ask to talk to the DA and tell them it's your first offense. You might get lucky and they will reduce it to a non-moving violation (failure to obey a traffic device for example). It really depends on the court though. Used to be these tickets did not cross state lines, but now the computers are integrated. It's hard to say if your insurance will find out, but I would assume they will. After surcharges, expect $200-300 for the speed, less if the ticket is reduced. Good luck.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

Sounds like a personal problem o_O

And he was talking about enforcing every single law out there, it would be impossible and the cops and justice system couldn't keep up if they did. I highly doubt he means he doesn't care about the law, he just prioritizes duis and criminals...Doesn't sound like a bad way to spend time to me.

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
:threadjacked: My apologies to the OP.

I've been pulled over 3 times in 14 years. All 3 for speeding, never got a break. Each time was given a ticket for the exact speed I was going. Each time went to court and was given no breaks there either. Full points, full fines, zero leniency.

If I'm going to be treated "by the book" then EVERYONE should also be treated that way. Period.
Ah. So now it comes out, you're upset because you didn't get the treatment that others have.

I'm curious now too. Though I've gotten some pretty nasty ones reduced to nearly nothing. Doing 25 over with no insurance, $700...reduced to $75 in court. Wreck less driving and 25 over, cop gave me a warning (that was a long time ago and I still wtf over that).

That being said, if you don't get breaks, are you by chance being an asshole to the cop and/or judge? I've only encountered one cop that wouldn't cut me slack, but I made a snarky comment and I'm pretty sure that did me on on that one.

Maybe you should move if all the cops are assholes? I don't know :iono:

I always yes sir, no sir, super polite, hands on the wheel and keys on the dash, tell them exactly what I'm doing before I do it, hand them my CPL even though I don't have to...that tends to Garner a lot of respect. They know I don't have to tell them I'm carrying, but I do to make them feel more at ease that I'm not a bad person and it always works.
Every police officer I know thanks you for this. They know that you are not required to disclose to them that you have a weapon in the car and it does garner a lot of respect from all the guys I know.

I'm with syonxwf. You don't like the way the system works so much write you representatives, but know if you get your wish, your taxes would have to at least double to handle the work load that would be created.

Sounds like a personal problem o_O

And he was talking about enforcing every single law out there, it would be impossible and the cops and justice system couldn't keep up if they did. I highly doubt he means he doesn't care about the law, he just prioritizes duis and criminals...Doesn't sound like a bad way to spend time to me.

Agreed. Speeding is not a high crime. In PA you can be cited for driving in the left lane when you're not passing, but i don't know of one person who has gotten a ticket for that without some other crime associated.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion

You don't know the first thing about me or what kind of a cop i am. I know you're over 16 years old and can not be as diluted as you come off. Read what I wrote. I would much rather stop someone who was speeding, and let them off with a warning, and go out and take someone off the street that's a real danger to our people. There are 25,000 active felony warrants in Maricopa county alone. I don't have time to be a traffic bitch and write everyone I stop, even if I wanted to. If I cared about traffic I would go be a motor, plain and simple. Lastly, you dont think I'm doing a good enough of a job? Why don't you come put on the badge? I just lost a brother on Monday, you're more then welcome to join up and try take his spot and show the rest of us how to do our jobs, you fucking ballsless complain about everything hipster prick. Or you can slow the fuck down and not get tickets in the first place.

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
You don't know the first thing about me or what kind of a cop i am. I know you're over 16 years old and can not be as diluted as you come off. Read what I wrote. I would much rather stop someone who was speeding, and let them off with a warning, and go out and take someone off the street that's a real danger to our people. There are 25,000 active felony warrants in Maricopa county alone. I don't have time to be a traffic bitch and write everyone I stop, even if I wanted to. If I cared about traffic I would go be a motor, plain and simple. Lastly, you dont think I'm doing a good enough of a job? Why don't you come put on the badge? I just lost a brother on Monday, you're more then welcome to join up and try take his spot and show the rest of us how to do our jobs, you fucking ballsless complain about everything hipster prick. Or you can slow the fuck down and not get tickets in the first place.

:lol: at hipster prick. Sorry to hear about your brother in blue. Keep up the good work, some people appreciate it:clap:

Dubvee

Go Kart Champion

Troy?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Some real big men in here, attacking me instead of providing any argument other than this:

Equal treatment under the law "would be fucking stupid beyond belief" because it might take too much time.

Is this your police chief?