GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time pulled over...some questions.

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
Hi,

I got pulled over on Saturday for the first time ever on the NY Thruway...somewhere in Monroe. I was going 80 (didn't even realize it) on a 65. As soon as I saw the cop sitting on the left I immediately slowed down, but it was too late. I told her I've never been pulled over before. She was nice and gave me a ticket for going 74 on a 65. Only 9 MPH over the limit.

My questions are below:

What kind of money am I going to be shelling out? Should I contest this to possibly lower fine and wipe possible points? Will this affect my insurance? I live in New Jersey, so how does living in a different state come into play?

Should I just plead guilty?

Thank you.

I know you guys are saying she gave me a break, but I don't think the actual officer gets involved unless you continue to plead not guilty. And because she gave me 74 on a 65 instead of 80, then isn't that the speed that she really tracked? Otherwise she would lying?

I think if I plead not guilty, I go to the court and then offered a deal to plead guilty, possibly no points, lesser fine?

Look it up or call the district court. She may have given you that 9 over BECAUSE it has no points attached to it. It's a pretty specific number.

I don't understand why you're planning on fighting it when you don't definitely know what the penalties are. You should figure that out before you make a decision.

And yes, she is "lying" on the ticket. That happens all the time. My point is she probably did so for a reason. The reason could be: A) to penalize you more, or B) to penalize you less. I'm banking on B since I doubt the penalties are higher for less mph. In other words yes she is giving you a break.

Find out what the penalties are, THEN figure out if you think she gave you enough of a break or not.

I agree that it would be silly to fight this since the cop already lowered the amount. If you push them by pleading not guilty, well...you are guilty. And actually guilty of going faster than she is saying. So...yeah.

I disagree that the courts don't know about cops changing tickets. It's all part of the system. The one time I had to go to court for a traffic issue the officer literally told the judge that he was going to change the penalty because I was cooperating.

I agree with everyone above. The officer clearly cut you a deal at the site of the traffic stop. You can get a lawyer and fight it, but that will cost you at least the amount of the fines and possibly more. Yes. Points will possibly increase your insurance premiums, however it's not a guarantee. I wrecked my car in June and was cited for careless driving. I was certain my insurance was going to go up, but I got my renewal in February and there was zero increase. I wouldn't poke the bear, so to speak, with the officer, she can easily put your ticket back to 80mph if you're in front of the right judge.

wow thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot about my parking ticket.
One hot dog ended up costing me almost $120...smh

That's an expensive parking ticket

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I have had multiple +15, +20 mph tickets. pay the fine, get supervision or do online driving school for a fee. The key is to just space out your tickets and they wont stay on your record or raise your insurance. I show no tickets on my record now. Usually its 3-6 months supervision, just dont get pulled over for another speeding offence in that time. Dont fear the police. You could get a nice radar detector for $400..but my thinking is that id rather spend that $400 over 2-3 tickets.

#boosted2016

with supervision and over 15 or 20, how is 2-3 $400 or less in our great state of IL? lol.... no wai, dude.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
with supervision and over 15 or 20, how is 2-3 $400 or less in our great state of IL? lol.... no wai, dude.

Speeding tickets in Illinois were only $75 for under 20 mph and $95 pre 2010

Now they are:
20 mph or less pay $120
20 to 30 mph over $95 to $140.

IE you could get 3 tickets for doing 74 in a 55, 84 in a 55 and 60 in a 30 and just hit $400 with maximum fines. However, most cops will bump you down to the 20 mph or less bracket. Only did online driving school once cause i didnt want to wait for supervision to drop it off. :thumbsup:

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
I have no idea what most of these people are talking about. Have you guys ever gotten a ticket? This is not complicated.

All you have to do is show up on your court date to plead not guilty and they lower your fine. Most places have set amounts that they drop it to (ie if you were 20 over, they automatically drop it to 10 over, 10 over they drop it to x, etc). There's no negotiation, they don't care what your reason for speeding was, you're not going to get out of the ticket. It's about money.
Ya, that's what I heard. :)

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Female cop and you didn't offer any favors to get out of the ticket right there?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Wait it was a female cop? and youre driving a GOLF...chicks dig the golf bro. how did you not get out of that ticket. Do you have leather and not the adorable Burberry interior?

Legendary

Ready to race!
Should be $148 and points on a guilty plea on 9mph over. Monroe county may have ability to lower pts or fine if you plea down at court. Nyc does not have that ability. Pm me if you need more info

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
No one asked this but do the points transfer from NY to NJ? If not just pay it and be done. You do have a NJ drivers license right? I've gotten speeding tickets in PA but not NJ and I didn't get any points from them here in NY.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if this was mentioned, but,

If you go to court, you can likely get it bumped down to careless driving, which is a no point ticket but carries hefty fines of around $500 once it's all said and done.

You get two of these on your record (NJ) before you get the points AND a fine.

If this is a 3 pt ticket, you could pay the fine, pay for defensive driving course, get 2 points knocked off, and have one pt on the record. Also keep in mind that this will go on your record next time you renew your insurance. You can check how much by going on an insurance website and putting in your information for a free quote. Add in one violation to see what it does to the rate.

booey1979

Go Kart Champion
Ya seriously this is what's wrong with America you messed up deal with it. Not cut more corners. Shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Ya seriously this is what's wrong with America you messed up deal with it. Not cut more corners. Shit.

What's wrong is the retarded inconsistency in law enforcement.

If you're caught going 80 in a 65, the officer should be legally bound to write you a ticket for going 80 in a 65 and that is the end of it. If you later appear in court and the judge sees some evidence that warrants a lesser charge or dismissal, then that is the judge's decision to make.

Police officers are not judges and should not have the power to do anything other than enforce existing laws. No warnings or other bullshit should be allowed, just the facts.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion

I've had a perfect driving record for almost 9 years. Why should I not be allowed to fight it? I'm obviously going to plead guilty after some deal they'll give me as a first time offender and 9 mph over the limit. Chill out man. I'm always careful on the road, and I didn't even realize I was going 80 initially. I will obviously pay the fine, and it might be even more so I don't get the points.

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
What's wrong is the retarded inconsistency in law enforcement.

If you're caught going 80 in a 65, the officer should be legally bound to write you a ticket for going 80 in a 65 and that is the end of it. If you later appear in court and the judge sees some evidence that warrants a lesser charge or dismissal, then that is the judge's decision to make.

Police officers are not judges and should not have the power to do anything other than enforce existing laws. No warnings or other bullshit should be allowed, just the facts.

I have a feeling that you'd like that until you were on the receiving end. From experiences, officers do a lot of things to make the justice system flow easier. If everyone who got pulled over for 80 in a 65, traffic courts would be inundated with cases because people fight a 15mph over ticket, but lots of people will just take the 9mph, pay and move on.