GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time pulled over...some questions.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I have a feeling that you'd like that until you were on the receiving end. From experiences, officers do a lot of things to make the justice system flow easier. If everyone who got pulled over for 80 in a 65, traffic courts would be inundated with cases because people fight a 15mph over ticket, but lots of people will just take the 9mph, pay and move on.

I have been there.

Equal treatment is what this country is supposed to be about. Some people getting full tickets, others getting reduced tickets, and still others getting warnings for the same offense is NOT equal treatment. It is downright despicable and I will forever believe that any cop who does that shit does not deserve to wear a badge.

If the system can't handle the laws being enforced, then the laws need to be changed or the system beefed up.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
If the system can't handle the laws being enforced, then the laws need to be changed or the system beefed up.
Well yeah, our justice system is completely messed up. We have people who smoke have minor drug charges spending years, sometimes 20-life in prison, and then you have rapists and murders who get out in 5 years. :iono:

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Speeding tickets in Illinois were only $75 for under 20 mph and $95 pre 2010

Now they are:
20 mph or less pay $120
20 to 30 mph over $95 to $140.

IE you could get 3 tickets for doing 74 in a 55, 84 in a 55 and 60 in a 30 and just hit $400 with maximum fines. However, most cops will bump you down to the 20 mph or less bracket. Only did online driving school once cause i didnt want to wait for supervision to drop it off. :thumbsup:

Don't you still end up with the tickets on your license, hence increasing your insurance rates? That's how it works in Washington anyways; you get a ticket, your rates go up $10-15 a month, which far outweighs getting the ticket in the first place.

I know you guys are saying she gave me a break, but I don't think the actual officer gets involved unless you continue to plead not guilty. And because she gave me 74 on a 65 instead of 80, then isn't that the speed that she really tracked? Otherwise she would lying?

I think if I plead not guilty, I go to the court and then offered a deal to plead guilty, possibly no points, lesser fine?

Definitely don't bring up to the judge that you think the cop was in the wrong for lying about the speed on the ticket, you might as well walk up to the judge and tell them to go fuck themselves :middlefinger:...pretty sure that won't end well for you.

Last ticket I got, I called the court and asked them who the prosecuting attorney was for all the tickets. Usually they are extremely overwhelmed and willing to cut deals. I was able to get a hold of the attorney, told him I hadn't had a ticket in 3+ years and just made a stupid mistake, and asked if he would be willing to cut me a deal to make the ticket a non-moving violation (no insurance increase). He said he didn't mind doing it at all, and that the fine was going to stay the same so the state still got their money, but I don't get wrecked by insurance premiums so I was fine with that.

When it comes to tickets and cops cutting deals to drivers, meh...don't care. I'm always really polite and courteous to cops when I get pulled over and they generally treat me nice and cut me slack. They deal with jackasses all day who flip them shit and lie to them, why wouldn't they want to reward a driver who's honest and up front with them? There are bad cops, but the ones that are good have a pretty thankless job, I think they appreciate having someone be nice to them :)
I know about jackass cops too, I've been arrested before because the dude was having a bad week.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
On your first ticket they will randomly drug test you a few times for a year so be ready for that too

better kick that blue rock

Wait, what? For serious? In IL?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Don't you still end up with the tickets on your license, hence increasing your insurance rates? That's how it works in Washington anyways; you get a ticket, your rates go up $10-15 a month, which far outweighs getting the ticket in the first place.

Nope, if i get a ticket and plead guilty..i take the supervision or you can pay alittle bit more if they offer it to do online driver school and get it removed instantly. As long as you dont get another one within that supervision time, it wont go on your record generally. Its like a warning with a fine. Depending on the judge/situation supervision could be 3-12 months. I wanna say ive gotten 4-5 speeding tickets with none on my record. Checks and Balances...Checks and balances..

And no i was joking about the drug testing. Your first speeding ticket can be scary but when you actually look into how many points you can accumulate before stuff gets serious its not even a thought. Now if youre my friend who was 17 and got busted doing 120+ on the expressway in his cobra racing someone(who also got busted)..well yeah then youre in trouble (lost his license for over 2 years + fees for days)

Additionally speeding tickets shouldnt affect any safe driver discounts you may get through your insurance company. But once again, situation and company depending.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Nope, if i get a ticket and plead guilty..i take the supervision or you can pay alittle bit more if they offer it to do online driver school and get it removed instantly. As long as you dont get another one within that supervision time, it wont go on your record generally. Its like a warning with a fine. Depending on the judge/situation supervision could be 3-12 months. I wanna say ive gotten 4-5 speeding tickets with none on my record. Checks and Balances...Checks and balances..

And no i was joking about the drug testing. Your first speeding ticket can be scary but when you actually look into how many points you can accumulate before stuff gets serious its not even a thought. Now if youre my friend who was 17 and got busted doing 120+ on the expressway in his cobra racing someone(who also got busted)..well yeah then youre in trouble (lost his license for over 2 years + fees for days)

Additionally speeding tickets shouldnt affect any safe driver discounts you may get through your insurance company. But once again, situation and company depending.

Ah ok, was really confused lol.

Supervision thing makes sense. I think you're originally from WA so you know how the system works here, same kind of deal, but you can only do it once every 7 years. Driving school in some cities, but not all...which blows.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
What's wrong is the retarded inconsistency in law enforcement.

If you're caught going 80 in a 65, the officer should be legally bound to write you a ticket for going 80 in a 65 and that is the end of it. If you later appear in court and the judge sees some evidence that warrants a lesser charge or dismissal, then that is the judge's decision to make.

Police officers are not judges and should not have the power to do anything other than enforce existing laws. No warnings or other bullshit should be allowed, just the facts.

I have been there.

Equal treatment is what this country is supposed to be about. Some people getting full tickets, others getting reduced tickets, and still others getting warnings for the same offense is NOT equal treatment. It is downright despicable and I will forever believe that any cop who does that shit does not deserve to wear a badge.

If I wrote everyone I stopped every time, I would be doing that all day. Also would be writing failure to signal tickets, faulty equipment tickets, wide left and right turn tickets etc....it would be fucking stupid beyond belief. Go look at the traffic code and see how many minor violations you make every day that don't get enforced. There is the letter of the law and spirit of the law. I don't write tickets unless there is a more serious offense attached, such as DUI, or the guy has felony warrants, or he's affiliated. The way you want things done is not realistic, and I'm sure everyone who's ever gotten a break appreciates the fact cops have discretion.

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
I have been there.

Have you ever worked in the criminal justice system? It already needs beefed up to handle what it has now. You think your taxes are high now, beef the system to where is should be and then some more if you want people going to court for traffic violations all that time.

Good luck finding that country.

:clap:

If I wrote everyone I stopped every time, I would be doing that all day. Also would be writing failure to signal tickets, faulty equipment tickets, wide left and right turn tickets etc....it would be fucking stupid beyond belief. Go look at the traffic code and see how many minor violations you make every day that don't get enforced. There is the letter of the law and spirit of the law. I don't write tickets unless there is a more serious offense attached, such as DUI, or the guy has felony warrants, or he's affiliated. The way you want things done is not realistic, and I'm sure everyone who's ever gotten a break appreciates the fact cops have discretion.

You are on point. I've never met or worked with an officer who didn't let little things slide. You mention wide turns, that's a prime example, I don't know a person who doesn't do that occasionally.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I've been pulled over 3 times in 14 years. All 3 for speeding, never got a break. Each time was given a ticket for the exact speed I was going. Each time went to court and was given no breaks there either. Full points, full fines, zero leniency.

If I'm going to be treated "by the book" then EVERYONE should also be treated that way. Period.

TheMKVI

Go Kart Champion
Police like the little laws no one pays attention to because it means they can pull anyone over at any time with legitimate cause. That (and revenue) is part of the reason speed limits are set far lower than the actual safest speed on a road (which is statistically the speed that the 85% percentile of drivers will choose without a speed limit). Traffic engineers recommend limits and the county or city sets them lower.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I've been pulled over 3 times in 14 years. All 3 for speeding, never got a break. Each time was given a ticket for the exact speed I was going. Each time went to court and was given no breaks there either. Full points, full fines, zero leniency.

If I'm going to be treated "by the book" then EVERYONE should also be treated that way. Period.

...so, how fast were you going, sir?

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
...so, how fast were you going, sir?

I'm curious now too. Though I've gotten some pretty nasty ones reduced to nearly nothing. Doing 25 over with no insurance, $700...reduced to $75 in court. Wreck less driving and 25 over, cop gave me a warning (that was a long time ago and I still wtf over that).

That being said, if you don't get breaks, are you by chance being an asshole to the cop and/or judge? I've only encountered one cop that wouldn't cut me slack, but I made a snarky comment and I'm pretty sure that did me on on that one.

Maybe you should move if all the cops are assholes? I don't know :iono:

I always yes sir, no sir, super polite, hands on the wheel and keys on the dash, tell them exactly what I'm doing before I do it, hand them my CPL even though I don't have to...that tends to Garner a lot of respect. They know I don't have to tell them I'm carrying, but I do to make them feel more at ease that I'm not a bad person and it always works.