GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time pulled over...some questions.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
Hi,

I got pulled over on Saturday for the first time ever on the NY Thruway...somewhere in Monroe. I was going 80 (didn't even realize it) on a 65. As soon as I saw the cop sitting on the left I immediately slowed down, but it was too late. I told her I've never been pulled over before. She was nice and gave me a ticket for going 74 on a 65. Only 9 MPH over the limit.

My questions are below:

What kind of money am I going to be shelling out? Should I contest this to possibly lower fine and wipe possible points? Will this affect my insurance? I live in New Jersey, so how does living in a different state come into play?

Should I just plead guilty?

Thank you.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
Without looking into the actual numbers, my guess is she already hooked you up with the 9 over rather than giving you a ticket for your actual speed. Probably points/fines are stepped up after 10 mph over.

Again, just a guess without looking up anything.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
it really depends on which county it happened, somewhere about 100-200$

it would try to lower, but with a lawyer involved, i don't think its worth it, the cop already let it slide for you as its your first time.

the tickets will increase insurance, but not drastically.

if the laws/punishments are different, it maybe play (not really sure on this one)

pay the ticket and done. paying for it automatically makes it plead guilty, but its your first time, just try not to get caught for at least 2 years and you won't have a problem if you get in another trouble again; if called in for mandatory court.

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!
Some states offer the ability to take a drivers course to remove all points from the license. The monetary fine is normally a little less but the cost of the class means shelling out more in turn. It's just a speeding ticket, do what you can to remove the points from your license to keep insurance down and move on.

You could always fight it but she did write it for 9 over instead of the 15..which is a much worse ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
If it's the same as here in Canada (which I asusme it is based on how she lowered it)

0-15km over (0-9mph) is a minor ticket, no points $60ish fine. My only ticket I have ever got was this and it didn't effect my insurance at all.

16-29km over (10-18mph) still considered minor but its 3 points maybe a $150-$200 fine. Points will raise insurance

30-49km over (19-30mph) is major 4 points and a hefty fine.

50+ over (31mph) stunt driving/speed racing and you're basically fucked.

If your speeding laws are anywhere similar to that just pay the ticket and move on. you will be fine.

Jaber

Modero
She cut you a break, I'd just pay it, do anything you're required and move on. If you decide to fight it, it's like a slap on the face to the officer for trying to cut you a break, instead of doing their job and upholding the law.

I've been pulled over 2x in Wisconsin. First one was going over by 25MPH, got lost on some backroads at 11PM, with lots up up/downhills; so I lost track of my speed. She let me go after telling her the truth and gave me directions back to main road (thanks TomTom). Second time was going 8MPH over, only car on the road for 25min, on a downhill. Cop was nice, I didn't have a valid insurance card (expired, forgot renewed at home). But he said "you're from IL, it's required down there, so don't worry, I believe you". He wrote me a warning and let me off my way.

I've been pulled over once in IL. 20MPH over and he wrote me a ticket (my first). I was nice, didn't lie, he was just doing his job. He said if I was going just 15 over, he would of let me slide that day. I paid ticket and took a 1 day class, so it would not go on my record.

Live and learn. Each time I had my radar detector, but on mute lol... So now I always keep it at a certain level and it has saved me more than a handful of times.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I've gotten one ticket and it was also for nine over (the jackass supposedly "hooked me up" even though I was really only going five over). The ticket was about $180 and it didn't add any points or make my insurance prices increase, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It could be different up there though, depends on the state and county.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
I know you guys are saying she gave me a break, but I don't think the actual officer gets involved unless you continue to plead not guilty. And because she gave me 74 on a 65 instead of 80, then isn't that the speed that she really tracked? Otherwise she would lying?

I think if I plead not guilty, I go to the court and then offered a deal to plead guilty, possibly no points, lesser fine?

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I know you guys are saying she gave me a break, but I don't think the actual officer gets involved unless you continue to plead not guilty. And because she gave me 74 on a 65 instead of 80, then isn't that the speed that she really tracked? Otherwise she would lying?

I think if I plead not guilty, I go to the court and then offered a deal to plead guilty, possibly no points, lesser fine?

First find out if there is points involved.

Second do you think the courts are dumb enough to not realize cops lower tickets? I have heard of people doing exactly what you are thinking and the judge actually raised the the ticket back to the original speed. You have to be seriously stupid to go to court and say well she caught me going 80 but only wrote 74 so the ticket is wrong and they are lying.

Find out if there is points, if there is it might be worth trying to get it lowered. If there isn't, pay the fine and be happy the cop wasn't a prick that day because they did give you a break.

And for the love of god don't show up to court and say they caught you at 80 and gave you 74 and are lying.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion

Look it up or call the district court. She may have given you that 9 over BECAUSE it has no points attached to it. It's a pretty specific number.

I don't understand why you're planning on fighting it when you don't definitely know what the penalties are. You should figure that out before you make a decision.

And yes, she is "lying" on the ticket. That happens all the time. My point is she probably did so for a reason. The reason could be: A) to penalize you more, or B) to penalize you less. I'm banking on B since I doubt the penalties are higher for less mph. In other words yes she is giving you a break.

Find out what the penalties are, THEN figure out if you think she gave you enough of a break or not.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Here I even did the search for you: http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/traffic-ticket-fines-and-penalties.php

Serious Offenses

Serious offenses include:

Speeding 15 mph over the limit.
Reckless driving.
Improperly changing lanes.
Following too closely behind another vehicle.
Operating a CMV without holding a CDL.
Operating a CMV without having your CDL in your possession.
Operating a CMV without the proper CDL endorsement.
Violating a state law of texting while driving.

Here is what I found for NY: http://www.safeny.ny.gov/spee-ndx.htm

MPH over speed limit Points
MPH over speed limit not indicated 3
1 - 10 mph 3
11 - 20 mph 4
21 - 30 mph 6
31 - 40 mph 8
More than 40 mph 11

She saved you a point but looks like you could be facing 3. Maybe take a class like some have suggested to reduce points.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
First find out if there is points involved.

Second do you think the courts are dumb enough to not realize cops lower tickets? I have heard of people doing exactly what you are thinking and the judge actually raised the the ticket back to the original speed. You have to be seriously stupid to go to court and say well she caught me going 80 but only wrote 74 so the ticket is wrong and they are lying.

Find out if there is points, if there is it might be worth trying to get it lowered. If there isn't, pay the fine and be happy the cop wasn't a prick that day because they did give you a break.

And for the love of god don't show up to court and say they caught you at 80 and gave you 74 and are lying.

I agree that it would be silly to fight this since the cop already lowered the amount. If you push them by pleading not guilty, well...you are guilty. And actually guilty of going faster than she is saying. So...yeah.

I disagree that the courts don't know about cops changing tickets. It's all part of the system. The one time I had to go to court for a traffic issue the officer literally told the judge that he was going to change the penalty because I was cooperating.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I agree that it would be silly to fight this since the cop already lowered the amount. If you push them by pleading not guilty, well...you are guilty. And actually guilty of going faster than she is saying. So...yeah.

I disagree that the courts don't know about cops changing tickets. It's all part of the system. The one time I had to go to court for a traffic issue the officer literally told the judge that he was going to change the penalty because I was cooperating.

I said the courts do know they lower them. You mis-read my post.