GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DON'T 'Go Apr' (at elevation)...

TahoeR

Ready to race!
2016 Golf R 6sp. Had the high torque file installed. All good except going back to where I live at 6,000ft elevation. Around 3,000rpm's the car chokes under load/going up hill. Had the low torque file installed and it's FAR worse-a lot worse. Problem is noticeable in 5th and 6th gear in ranges from 2,800-3,800 rpms. NOT lugging the car. Under normal conditions. In fact, even on flat roads at elevation the car basically feels like it's on/off throttle as you roll from 60-80 in 5th or 6th gear.

Extremely disappointing and hugely time consuming to deal with this.

Don't go apr....

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
2016 Golf R 6sp. Had the high torque file installed. All good except going back to where I live at 6,000ft elevation. Around 3,000rpm's the car chokes under load/going up hill. Had the low torque file installed and it's FAR worse-a lot worse. Problem is noticeable in 5th and 6th gear in ranges from 2,800-3,800 rpms. NOT lugging the car. Under normal conditions. In fact, even on flat roads at elevation the car basically feels like it's on/off throttle as you roll from 60-80 in 5th or 6th gear.

Don't go apr....

this is not APRs fault at all, before you go bashing them understand how a turbo works. Simply as the lower altitude the more air the more HP the engine puts out no matter if you're tuned or not. The higher altitude the less air the worse ANY turbo will run, not just an APR tuned car. I have a frien that has a GTR and when we go up into the mountains there cars slow down because its how turbos work just like how they run a hell alot better in cold rather in the hot. so please dont blame APR and if you dont like it thats why they have a 30 day money back guarantee

Hexxum001

Ready to race!

Don't go apr....

Did you tell APR (or whoever installed the tune) that you live at a high elevation when getting tuned?

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Sometimes it's good to live in a state where the highest point is less than 500 feet.

Denvernoob

Passed Driver's Ed
this is not APRs fault at all, before you go bashing them understand how a turbo works. Simply as the lower altitude the more air the more HP the engine puts out no matter if you're tuned or not. The higher altitude the less air the worse ANY turbo will run, not just an APR tuned car. I have a friend that has a GTR and when we go up into the mountains there cars slow down because its how turbos work just like how they run a hell alot better in cold rather in the hot. so please dont blame APR and if you dont like it thats why they have a 30 day money back guarantee

Having nothing to do with APR (yet) there are additional variables for tuning at high elevation. It is a matter, in combination, of timing, psi/rpm profiling, fueling, AF ratio, and even on this car, potentially barometric pressure. The thin air provides more challenges than just "air" being moved. It is O2 content, compression, humidity (or lack thereof at higher elevations), fuel grade, turbo RPM, etc.

Here in Denver, one can see just about ANY pre-production VAG car (VW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, Bentley, Bugatti) test mules driving around the city as well as in the mountains, up-to and including Mt. Evans (at 14k feet). Why do you think OEMs do that testing here?

Some tuners take time to test their software at higher elevations, others don't. Plain and simple. I have had multiple tunes on a number of VAG cars I have owned, and some companies were responsive to looking at data logs, others weren't (and continue to not be). I have tested for a couple of companies with pre-production files...and I can tell you definitively who I never tested for (or anyone else I know, and it is a LOT of VAG folks)...Additionally, the OP's complaint is NOT unique among customers in Denver, and we are only at 5280 ft (see above).

It is not about the car slowing down, it is about it running correctly. My OEM tune is certainly a bit slower than sea-level, but it doesn't have a hiccup to be found.

carlos330181

Passed Driver's Ed
I love it, please don't blame APR!!! ya right. I would expect that these tunes are fully characterized under different temperatures /loads / altitudes. I would hate to live at sea level, have everything run fine, take a road trip to a high elevation area and all of the sudden the vehicle starts to stutter. Can you imagine if the OEM software would do this? These sorts of issues are exactly the reason why I haven't flashed my ecu.

TahoeR

Ready to race!
I do blame APR as I contacted them prior to purchase and explained where I live, elevation, etc. Asked questions if there would be any issues, etc. Initially they told me (after I had a problem) there is a know issue with combustion or some other technical mumbo jumbo. I asked where that's stated on their site? It's not.... Plain and simple, they do not mention or caution against use at higher elevations-period. I do fault them for not being forthcoming. I give them credit they are working with me through the tune shop by allowing for free a swap to the lower torque setting and extending my return time-frame. However, it's roughly 5 hours of my day given the location of the tune shop to deal and sort this out. Time, gas, aggravation, combined with their inability to be forthcoming on the front end. Not a good way to do business.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I do blame APR as I contacted them prior to purchase and explained where I live, elevation, etc. Asked questions if there would be any issues, etc. Initially they told me (after I had a problem) there is a know issue with combustion or some other technical mumbo jumbo. I asked where that's stated on their site? It's not.... Plain and simple, they do not mention or caution against use at higher elevations-period. I do fault them for not being forthcoming. I give them credit they are working with me through the tune shop by allowing for free a swap to the lower torque setting and extending my return time-frame. However, it's roughly 5 hours of my day given the location of the tune shop to deal and sort this out. Time, gas, aggravation, combined with their inability to be forthcoming on the front end. Not a good way to do business.

Did you check with the other tuners? Many allow you to adjust parameters yourself.

TahoeR

Ready to race!
I fell for their sales pitch that their R&D was superior to the other products on the market.

The car drives like it is misfiring for dropping a cylinder. It's far from smooth and extremely noticeable.

Did you check with the other tuners? Many allow you to adjust parameters yourself.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
All APR ECU Upgrades include a 30-day money back guarantee with no questions asked. If for any reason the owners is dissatisfied with the APR ECU Upgrade, they may return to the place of purchase for a full refund, provided they are within the 30 day period from the time of the initial purchase. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the guarantee and are at the discretion of the place of install.

(from the website)

Pickleahoy1

Ready to race!
All APR ECU Upgrades include a 30-day money back guarantee with no questions asked. If for any reason the owners is dissatisfied with the APR ECU Upgrade, they may return to the place of purchase for a full refund, provided they are within the 30 day period from the time of the initial purchase. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the guarantee and are at the discretion of the place of install.

(from the website)

Too bad his ECU will be flagged for flashing anyway. He can try Unitronic or something else though with his money.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
There are many guys running APR software in Denver with no complaints. I have run my UM tune up to 11,000 ft and aside from a slight surge sensation while climbing an incline all was good.