GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DON'T 'Go Apr' (at elevation)...

Denvernoob

Passed Driver's Ed
There are many guys running APR software in Denver with no complaints. I have run my UM tune up to 11,000 ft and aside from a slight surge sensation while climbing an incline all was good.

There are many people running APR in Denver with HUGE complaints as well....this is a well known thing here..

I am not bashing the tuner....facts are the facts. I can name a dozen people off of the top of my mind here who have had or currently have trouble across several platforms....Audi b6/b7, VW 1.8 mkiv,2.0 mkv, mkvi, (I don't know any mkvii yet), tiguan 2.0t....

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
I must have a factory freak by putting down over 400 AWDHP here in Denver with my UM tune. Sorry to hear you are having issues tho!

On my side, I have no problems with my R at elevation.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
No need to help keep Gabe in business, this guy is in another market....so UM tunes really aren't relevant...you guys are a gang....good lord.

Wow, tell me more since I had UM in my scope, I don't live in CO but what's up with this tune? I would like to know more about it. Thanks

cooljoe

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe you should pull your spark plugs and see if they are discolored? You may want to upgrade to the iridium plugs with the recommended gap from APR's ECU flash detail page.

TahoeR

Ready to race!
To report back and recap.

1) Had high torque APR tune installed. Immediately had issues around 3,000 rpms above 5,000ft elevation. Losing power, bump, bump, bump/surging feeling. Primarily on big uphills. Not lugging the car, slow and smooth roll from 60-80. Most common 6,000- 8,000ft elevation

2) Had low torque file installed. Same issue but between 2,500 and 3,400 rpm. MUCH worse and more dramatic power cutoff. Also able to reproduce results on the the flats at 6,000ft and even down to approx 4,000 ft.

3) Stock tune reinstalled. ZERO issue. None.

Sadly this was a HUGE time suck. Tune shop almost 2 hours each way... Roughly 15 hours into dealing with this... APR remains silent to my emails.

Again, DON'T go apr if you are at elevation.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
So sorry to hear that man. I live at 5200 elevation and a lot of VW owners out here use UM Tuning. Your call but just a suggestion.

If you went with a different tuner and still had the same issues, it might actually be an issue with the car.

Sorry for the shit show you had to deal with :(

TahoeR

Ready to race!
Have ordered a Neuspeed Power Module. Possible a problem with the car but in my non-tech thinking highly unlikely as it's instantly a problem with the different tunes and they present different problems that are very distinct. Potentially there is something with the car that is 'about' to go bad that the tunes make more present. Again, I doubt this as the car has showed zero sign of any other issues. I drove a total of 900 miles with the two tunes combined and had issues 100% of the time at elevation (temps ranging from 55-75 degrees) and systematically the problem would go completely away below roughly 5,000ft. Lower than that it was impossible to reproduce. At elevation it would just happen, and once it was there you could 'find' it on command, especially true with the lower torque file.

Too bad, as the power was truly amazing. I will say that the high torque file while fast but 'violent' and not smooth. The low torque was like factory.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The NPM can't adjust boost (other then a 4/6 switch) or fuel to compensate for the elevation. (plug and forget)

Suggest canceling it and getting a JB1 instead (With cable), in which you can actually adjust the boost increases until you tune out the issues you were having (using map 6), as well as providing the adjustments in fueling.

Since the cars ecu adjusts boost to meet torque targets, (both elevation and heat related) you will probably need the capability to reduce your boost increases to dial out particular issues. Otherwise you'd run into issues, as the ECU tries to increase boost on top of the NPM or JB1.

TahoeR

Ready to race!
I WANT to plug it in and forget. I don't want a project. Just a modest power gain. They are telling me I can return should I see any issues at elevation. So figure I'll try this and see. Seems a pretty low risk, somewhat low reward approach. I don't race/track the car. But figure why not...

The NPM can't adjust boost (other then a 4/6 switch) or fuel to compensate for the elevation. (plug and forget)

Suggest canceling it and getting a JB1 instead (With cable), in which you can actually adjust the boost increases until you tune out the issues you were having (using map 6), as well as providing the adjustments in fueling.

Since the cars ecu adjusts boost to meet torque targets, (both elevation and heat related) you will probably need the capability to reduce your boost increases to dial out particular issues. Otherwise you'd run into issues, as the ECU tries to increase boost on top of the NPM or JB1.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
It's extremely easy to make the adjustments on the jb1. It's not a project takes 30 minutes tops to install it. It's totally worth it and very noticeably faster than stock.