GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DON'T 'Go Apr' (at elevation)...

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Aye. NPM might work for you. The issues you are describing are what tends to happen to the NPM in heat or elevation situations though. +4/+6 psi, and then the ECU is also increasing psi to adjust for the heat/elevation. (but doesn't know the NPM or JB1 is there).

I think you would be ok at the +4 setting, but the +6 may give the car fits (or produce less power then the +4).

I actually think there might be a problem with your car that tuning is revealing. Do you have any scanning capability?

TahoeR

Ready to race!
Yes. A friend was able to scan the car. No faults, nothing other than boost loss with both the high and low torque files. Not present in factory settings.

Given that the symptoms were 'turned on/off' and presented differently between the two tunes leads me to believe it just doesn't like higher elevations. Zero issues between sea level up to about 4,000. After 5,000 to 8,000 all you had to do was drive near the 2,800 to 3,200 rpm mark (not lugging) but smooth roll on of power and you'd get it to happen. The low torque would do this even more and also in 5th gear as opposed to high torque really only in 6th. Maybe if you hunted for it in 5th but was hard to duplicate.

TahoeR

Ready to race!
Installed Neuspeed Power Module. Ran same set of road from 4,500 to 8,500ft. Zero problems.... No doubt the apr tune just didn't mesh with my car at altitude.

The Neuspeed module isn't as much power gain as the high torque apr tune but is for sure MUCH smoother and the added bonus that it works correctly!

laznsher23

I'll be in Tahoe the first weekend of October for a Spartan race. I've been curious how my car(JB1 Map 1) might respond to the altitude change. I'm coming from Sea Level

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
Installed Neuspeed Power Module. Ran same set of road from 4,500 to 8,500ft. Zero problems.... No doubt the apr tune just didn't mesh with my car at altitude.

The Neuspeed module isn't as much power gain as the high torque apr tune but is for sure MUCH smoother and the added bonus that it works correctly!

You'll enjoy the NPM. I had one on my '15 and had it set on 7psi. I ran 93 octane and changed to colder plugs. When I had it flashed to APR stage 1 low torque, it felt the same as the NPM under boost. Every person I talked to at Neuspeed was great when I asked them about the 7psi setting. They all run it like that on crappy 91 Cali gas. They just said don't run it at track events like auto cross. Extended boost on pump gas could cause an issue. Glad you got it figured out ;)

TahoeR

Ready to race!
Any ill affects from the neuspeed over time? Some on this forum seem to think they are a terrible idea. A tune shop I respect in Oakland says this is the way to go. And clearly for me apr didn't work (nor will they even respond to my numerous tech service requests.). Worst cust svc experience hands down. I would never consider anything from them ever again. Seriously. F-

2016 R

Taotao

Passed Driver's Ed
2 of us over here, mine is a '15, and a buddy with a '16... APR Stg2, and we have the bucking/surging/on-off-throttle strangeness. I've spent time with a local tech logging files etc, sending data to APR, and zero helpful response. It's a pain to deal with for sure.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Any ill affects from the neuspeed over time? Some on this forum seem to think they are a terrible idea. A tune shop I respect in Oakland says this is the way to go. And clearly for me apr didn't work (nor will they even respond to my numerous tech service requests.). Worst cust svc experience hands down. I would never consider anything from them ever again. Seriously. F-

2016 R

Well if you're going plug in play at least go for the best one. JB1. Neuspeed is crap and doesn't have the backend safety features the JB1 entails

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTI9

Passed Driver's Ed
I have lots of experience with turbo cars, tuned, at a higher elevation than most. I live at 9500' and regularly drive to 11,000 and 12,000'. Currently running JB1 on my S3 and My GTI. No issues at all. Same for the 3 STI's I have had in the past that were running various tunes. Something was obviously wrong with your APR set up. Get a JB1 and enjoy the boost!

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I think NPM (or any piggyback) is a step backwards. I would go Unitronic as their tune is well thought out and rather conservative with 21PSI boost at sea level. I have climbed at ~1500m and the car had no hiccups. I drive a GTI though, but I'm very happy with it's power and drivability (which I think you prioritize).

TahoeR

Ready to race!
Curious why the neuspeed is 'crap'? From a drivers point of view it is extremely smooth, basically feels factory just with more power.

Crap? Is it bad for the car? What makes it crap? Not being smart, truly want to know? In my opinion APR, in my case, is complete and total crap only backed by even crappier back end support.... So far and 800 miles later with the neuspeed totally happy and stoked I will be able to unplug it as needed....

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I live at 5400' and took the car up Pike's Peak 3 weeks ago. Car ran flawlessly at 14k and I was giving it the beans every chance I had. Car was super fun up there.

Oh right, I'm still stock so everything works right :p

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I'm APR Stage 2 GTI and drove up to Tahoe from south Bay over the last weekend and didn't experience any issues. The car actually felt great due to the cooler weather up there.