Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Ranked from smallest to largest looks like this:

L450
IHX475
EQT
VTT

As for spooling time, the ranking is the same as the wheel size and max power ranking. It's just like you said, smaller turbo's spool faster but make less power compared to the larger turbo's.

None of the hybrid turbo's available for the MK7's are bad options. They've all got their pro's and con's. In the end, the decision comes down to which option best fits your goals, needs, and budget.

That's a fair ranking.

When the time comes to upgrade my snail I'll probably go with a PnP LM440, as it seems to be the only good IS20 hybrid option.

For my use case early spool beats top end power all day long.

Just hope I can find someone to tune for it stateside when time comes.

(https://kolbenkraft-tuning.com/prod...80-290-300-polo-6c-ibiza-6p-is20-vag-upgrade/)

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Seeing a lot of real world data of the EQT spoiling faster than expected - hitting full boost by 3k....I think it may be a bit more complex than you make it, but good writeup

EQT spools faster than the L450.

On paper it absolutely shouldn't, but in reality it absolutely does.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
That formatting looks like a crazy persons manifesto.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
kidnapper's ransom note..? :D

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The fact is GTI people in general are poor.

I would have been in the 10's already if I owned a DSG car, you better believe it. I might have even been on just an IS38.

The R is where the money is at, it makes sense. Those who have $ and performance in mind want shorter gears and AWD. Who wouldn't? The amount of people who invest $1200 in a proper slick setup and prep the suspension properly is next to zero.

Trap speeds translate for AWD and FWD cars. The EQT will perform as well as the VTT turbo. The point of these larger turbos really shows when you take into account the power across the entire curve, and the efficiency at higher boost when proper hotside design really comes into play. No GTI's are really pushing this with a built motor - again, it is the poorer persons car, plain and simple.

Reggie made the point above also. You can run the EFR on pump gas into the 10's. The VTT is using full E85 and 15mpg.

Speak for yourself and you are wrong about the GTI. There's more heritage and history with the GTI than the R and that's why people get them, not because they are the poorer person's car. I could easily afford the R, 2 of them if I wanted to, but I don't want it. I prefer the GTI as I always have and always will. Your statements are pretty ignorant.

tytus1994

Ready to race!
Speak for yourself and you are wrong about the GTI. There's more heritage and history with the GTI than the R and that's why people get them, not because they are the poorer person's car. I could easily afford the R, 2 of them if I wanted to, but I don't want it. I prefer the GTI as I always have and always will. Your statements are pretty ignorant.
No offense but enthusiast buy GTI for it's heritage which is a small amount of people. Majority of people that buy them are because of the price point. It's is 100% a cheaper car and a volume car compared to the R. The mk7 came out and it was a much cheaper car for younger people to buy and mod, so a lot of people made the switch. Everyone has their reasons for buying something but the majority buy because of the price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie

You just made a statement and called me ignorant, based on like 0.1% of GTI buyers.

On the other hand, the R does everything better than the GTI. If anyone here is not in that 0.1%, they would have bought an R over a GTI if they could afford it, otherwise they are lying to you.

AWD for bad weather with a better turbo, motor and resale value.

The fact is, people who want to go fast buy an R not a GTI. That was what I said, and it isn't ignorant. That's a fact. Where is the data to prove this you ask? Just look at the charts.

There are like 3 people running actual drag setups and none on serious turbo setups whereas the AWD MQB's have tons of users with over 10k in engine/power adder modifications.

In the end, it is the budget friendly decision getting the GTI for most. Don't get all upset when we both know that is the truth.

On the note of what realvrt said, it is a legitimate point.

The APR EFR kit when on sale for $4500 will do 10's in a GTI with a proper drag setup, no doubt. No E85 needed.
The VTT kit with fueling to run E85 and custom UM tuning is maybe $1k less, for as he said, a chinese turbo. Let's see what it runs on pump gas so we can see the thermal efficiency of the housing and wheels. Anyone can run fast on a turbo with larger wheels on knock-proof E85.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
The gti to the R is like the Camaro to the Corvette,

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
I agree wholeheartedly with Tytus and Wy2sL0. I would've purchased an R if it was financially feasible at the time. Now I have so much invested into the GTI, that I'd be so upside down if I sold it for an R. Even if I swap a majority of the parts and sold the others, I would still be taking a bath. I may end up doing that down the road, since I'm on a DBV2 on pump and still break traction even in fourth gear on occasion. I figure by the time i'm done tuning on MPI, traction will be impossible unless running slicks. Which brings me to another point. There's a lot of talk about traction with slicks, but who runs slicks on the street or road course? I'm not taking my car to the drag strip, so for my use, AWD would definitely be the way to go. There's only so much power you can actually put to the ground with a FWD setup on street tires. Heritage had squat to do with my purchase. $$$ did. I could've purchased a Subaru, or a used Evo, but the quality of those vehicles and driving experience compared to the GTI, was subpar, so I chose FWD in a nicer package, but if I could do it all again, I would've purchased an R since the A3 is too cramped in back. Sorry for the rant.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
What bugs me about the vtt is (and I may have missed it) I have not seen any times or numbers on the progression i.e, stock fueling, lpfp/hpfp upgrade pump vs e, all I have seen are full fueling times and number which you cant get an equal comparison because the average people dont have all that so really it's not gonna be a fair comparison until he finally releases (something) to the general public, we have seen lots of numbers and times from all other turbos on the market.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
I won’t try to argue the general rule, but personally I could afford the R and think I would still choose the GTI if I did it all over again. I just like the bang for your buck fun factor. I’ve also been impressed with a few Porsche owners making the switch. They could certainly afford more.

And while the handling difference might be negligible, I would think the GTI has a slight edge in cornering with less weight than the R.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
No offense but enthusiast buy GTI for it's heritage which is a small amount of people. Majority of people that buy them are because of the price point. It's is 100% a cheaper car and a volume car compared to the R. The mk7 came out and it was a much cheaper car for younger people to buy and mod, so a lot of people made the switch. Everyone has their reasons for buying something but the majority buy because of the price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry, but I do disagree with this. I prefer the gti over the R any day of the week. It is much lighter. If I wanted a heavy 3400 lb crap awd underpowered car I'd buy a sti. I've seen tune only GTIs beat stage two Rs just from the weight when they really shouldn't.

vanmichel

Passed Driver's Ed
You just made a statement and called me ignorant, based on like 0.1% of GTI buyers.

On the other hand, the R does everything better than the GTI. If anyone here is not in that 0.1%, they would have bought an R over a GTI if they could afford it, otherwise they are lying to you.

AWD for bad weather with a better turbo, motor and resale value.

The fact is, people who want to go fast buy an R not a GTI. That was what I said, and it isn't ignorant. That's a fact. Where is the data to prove this you ask? Just look at the charts.

There are like 3 people running actual drag setups and none on serious turbo setups whereas the AWD MQB's have tons of users with over 10k in engine/power adder modifications.

In the end, it is the budget friendly decision getting the GTI for most. Don't get all upset when we both know that is the truth.

On the note of what realvrt said, it is a legitimate point.

The APR EFR kit when on sale for $4500 will do 10's in a GTI with a proper drag setup, no doubt. No E85 needed.
The VTT kit with fueling to run E85 and custom UM tuning is maybe $1k less, for as he said, a chinese turbo. Let's see what it runs on pump gas so we can see the thermal efficiency of the housing and wheels. Anyone can run fast on a turbo with larger wheels on knock-proof E85.

Not sure I agree with you entirely as I could certainly afford an R and if all I were trying to do was drag race, the R is the sure choice.

I didnt get it because I DD my gti and didnt think the R's price was justified for my purposes.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
The R is way overpriced for what you get, especially when you can get a decent, low mileage GTI for like 20k....then make it faster than the R for a bargain

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Again, who would be a GTI over an R if they could afford the R and was planning to go fast?

No one in their right mind would do that. This is my point? The people who posted are all slow, no offense, so what you are saying doesn't really fall into the category I am discussing here.

We're talking about cars that are planning on going 10's. No doubt from point A to B for the least money, the GTI is better (because it is, inherently, less money).

If you guys are seeing stage 2 R's losing to tuned GTI's then the R is riding the brakes or is tuned incorrectly - and that is an entirely separate discussion. The IS20 is not hitting 115-118 in most setups, but a St 2 R can.