GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Another option at this range was the APR kit on sale, but it is already sold out.

I think a couple pages back, people were saying the rebuild parts for the APR kit are discontinued, and the manufacturer confirmed it.

For bling on a street driven car, I think this setup is hard to beat. You can always save $$ and just paint the calipers yourself.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Sounds like a long ordeal to get to that point.

How’s the happy factor, good with the end result?
Eh I guess. I don't track the car so its mostly for the bling. I already purchased a used set of rear calipers to paint match..... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: krs

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Question for those of you with experience with this kit and other big brake swaps... would it be worth getting this one new, getting them powder coated or Ceracoted (around $1200 total) vs getting a Prodigy 6-pot FSA caliper with the titanium vented pistons (they sell with aluminum) ($1490)

Another option at this range was the APR kit on sale, but it is already sold out. And further north the Racingline Stage 2 Evo for $2093, and Neuspeed 6 pot for over $2600 painted red.

The problem I found with the prodigy kit is getting replacement pads or rotors, shipping becomes a factor and also lack of options.

The racing line kit doesn’t come with lightweight rotors and is still around 2k.

The neuspeed kit looks legit but is a 370mm so you will need at least 18” wheels I believe. Not a big deal to some people but I personally am not giving up my 17’s.

APR kit is proven but parts may be hard to get it seems now based on some recent post.

I choose the Macan calipers because replacement stuff is readily available and I most likely won’t even go to the track, just some hard street driving for me.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
The problem I found with the prodigy kit is getting replacement pads or rotors, shipping becomes a factor and also lack of options.

The racing line kit doesn’t come with lightweight rotors and is still around 2k.
The one I was looking at is a direct replacement for the PP caliper, so no need to worry about rotors. There is a thread here with plenty of choices for the pads as well. My main concern was with the few issues people were having here with inconsistent braking, but I think there were mostly used/rebuild calipers.
The neuspeed kit looks legit but is a 370mm so you will need at least 18” wheels I believe. Not a big deal to some people but I personally am not giving up my 17’s.

I choose the Macan calipers because replacement stuff is readily available and I most likely won’t even go to the track, just some hard street driving for me.
New speed also have a caliper for the 340mm PP, which is the one I was looking at on their website. They have both options, the 370 would be great, but I have a new set of Brembo rotors at the house that are not-returnable, so I'm looking for a kit that can use the 340mm at this time.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
The one I was looking at is a direct replacement for the PP caliper, so no need to worry about rotors. There is a thread here with plenty of choices for the pads as well. My main concern was with the few issues people were having here with inconsistent braking, but I think there were mostly used/rebuild calipers.

New speed also have a caliper for the 340mm PP, which is the one I was looking at on their website. They have both options, the 370 would be great, but I have a new set of Brembo rotors at the house that are not-returnable, so I'm looking for a kit that can use the 340mm at this time.

Ah okay didn’t know the neuspeed kit could work for 340mm rotors. Honestly its design is far superior to the Macan calipers but also substantially more money.

MQB_7.5R

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Golf R(s)
I disabled the hydraulic brake assist and set brake boost to 3. After a 30 psi bleed and no air bubbles this is what I’m experiencing.
Initial pedal feel is slightly delayed. If I quickly pump the brakes the pedal is rock solid. It doesn’t feel unsafe, I would just prefer the initial bite to be as strong as if I quickly lift and get back on the brakes. Hope this makes sense.
I set brake boost to 1 and it feels much better. Initially, I did a 30psi pressure bleed and drove it around activating ABS. Then to be sure, I activated the ABS pump with VCDS and did the standard bleed procedure with 2 people, one pumping and one opening the bleeders. The pedal feel is way better after doing this.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
I set brake boost to 1 and it feels much better. Initially, I did a 30psi pressure bleed and drove it around activating ABS. Then to be sure, I activated the ABS pump with VCDS and did the standard bleed procedure with 2 people, one pumping and one opening the bleeders. The pedal feel is way better after doing this.

What is brake boost originally set at?

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
So I did a bunch of ABS stops and performed another bleed. Pedal feels fine now, it might be a bit lower than stock PP brakes but it’s hard to tell without a back to back comparison. I don’t have any issues with the pedal feel at this point. I still haven’t bedded the pads yet either and I really haven’t stood on the brakes yet but so far so good.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So I did a bunch of ABS stops and performed another bleed. Pedal feels fine now, it might be a bit lower than stock PP brakes but it’s hard to tell without a back to back comparison. I don’t have any issues with the pedal feel at this point. I still haven’t bedded the pads yet either and I really haven’t stood on the brakes yet but so far so good.
Did you use RRG during reassembly?

snox

Car(s)
leon cupra 300
On leon cupra 300 rims: 5F0601025AC I guess 10mm spacers are needed?
I'll take protrack 18 "ET 45 it passes without spacer!

mayday_soc

Car(s)
MK7 TDI
So I noticed on a few parts sites if you select Porsche Macan Base model it recommends Hawk HPS 5.0 HB806B.624 but in this thread some have suggested using Subaru STI which recommends Hawk HPS 5.0 HB453B.585. The backing plate appears to be the same measurement but the pad depth is .624 vs .585. Can anyone confirm if .624 will fit or if there’s an advantage to one over the other?