GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The most useful number is the FMSI one: 1001. The list of pagid part numbers provided isn't the best, since some of those pads aren't going to be the proper thickness in all fitments listed. Depending on the brand they could be anywhere from 14.5 to 16mm thick.

You do not need pads with the piston inserts (#2).

If you want other brand pad shapes to cross-ref: Ferodo FRP3067, Carbotech CT1001, Hawk HB453x.585, Porterfield R1001, Centric 105.10010.

Reactions: krs

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The most useful number is the FMSI one: 1001. The list of pagid part numbers provided isn't the best, since some of those pads aren't going to be the proper thickness in all fitments listed. Depending on the brand they could be anywhere from 14.5 to 16mm thick.

You do not need pads with the piston inserts (#2).

If you want other brand pad shapes to cross-ref: Ferodo FRP3067, Carbotech CT1001, Hawk HB453x.585, Porterfield R1001, Centric 105.10010.
All look again, I listed the thickness for each application.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
All look again, I listed the thickness for each application.
I mean, that's how thick they are according to pagid. Other manufacturers definitely vary. Evo X rotors are 32mm thick for example, so the Ferodo Evo-specific shape (FRP3067) is slightly thinner to accommodate. Pre-2018 STi rotors otoh, are also 30mm, so pads for an STi (FCP1334) should give you a bit more pad life. Something good to be aware of when shopping IMO.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I mean, that's how thick they are according to pagid. Other manufacturers definitely vary. Evo X rotors are 32mm thick for example, so the Ferodo Evo-specific shape (FRP3067) is slightly thinner to accommodate. Pre-2018 STi rotors otoh, are also 30mm, so pads for an STi (FCP1334) should give you a bit more pad life. Something good to be aware of when shopping IMO.
That's assuming the same caliper. Every 4 pot Brembo caliper listed isn't the same.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
That's assuming the same caliper. Every 4 pot Brembo caliper listed isn't the same.
Well, yes. I assume everyone here is considering the same caliper and roughly the same rotor dimensions.

And that is another reason the pagid list shouldn't be relied on. My point is that unless you're ordering pagid pads, ordering for one car on that list isn't going to get you the same part as using another car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Well, yes. I assume everyone here is considering the same caliper and roughly the same rotor dimensions.

And that is another reason the pagid list shouldn't be relied on. My point is that unless you're ordering pagid pads, ordering for one car on that list isn't going to get you the same part as using another car.
All the applications I listed are the same backing plate and thickness.

The different thicknesses of the rotors for the applications is irrelevant, because the calipers are different, even though they use the same backing plate and thickness of pad.

Every application I listed will work with the Macan calipers on the GTI, because they are all the same backing plate and pad thickness.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
All the applications I listed are the same backing plate and thickness.

The different thicknesses of the rotors for the applications is irrelevant, because the calipers are different, even though they use the same backing plate and thickness of pad.

Every application I listed will work with the Macan calipers on the GTI, because they are all the same backing plate and pad thickness.
if you buy from pagid... other manufacturers sell different configurations for the same "application," that's my point.

Last edited:

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I disabled the hydraulic brake assist and set brake boost to 3. After a 30 psi bleed and no air bubbles this is what I’m experiencing.
Initial pedal feel is slightly delayed. If I quickly pump the brakes the pedal is rock solid. It doesn’t feel unsafe, I would just prefer the initial bite to be as strong as if I quickly lift and get back on the brakes. Hope this makes sense.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
if you buy from pagid... other manufacturers sell different configurations for the same "application," that's my point.
If it's for the same application, I can't imagine significant variation in pad thickness.

Now there may be other 1001 applications that have thinner or thicker pads, which there are, I know for a fact with pagid, because there are versions of that backing plate with thicker pads listed. Their website allows you to search by backing plate and thickness.

I created that list by searching for the plate and correct thickness, which returned a match for those application.

I don't know of anyone that's had issues using that list to search for pads for these calipers yet.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Finally installed today. Many thanks to @PatMc and Auto Brake Solutions for fixing my stripped caliper.
Enkei RPF1 18x7.5 +48. Needed 17.5 spacers and 90mm studs. Maybe 3mm clearence?
IMG_9710.JPG
IMG_9709.JPG
IMG_9711.JPG

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If it's for the same application, I can't imagine significant variation in pad thickness.

except you listed like 20 applications! there are significant variations, easily found searching via hawk, carbotech, ferodo, etc. I'm really curious which one Mr0czny searched with, clearly there are some other differences even past pad depth.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Question for those of you with experience with this kit and other big brake swaps... would it be worth getting this one new, getting them powder coated or Ceracoted (around $1200 total) vs getting a Prodigy 6-pot FSA caliper with the titanium vented pistons (they sell with aluminum) ($1490)

Another option at this range was the APR kit on sale, but it is already sold out. And further north the Racingline Stage 2 Evo for $2093, and Neuspeed 6 pot for over $2600 painted red.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Question for those of you with experience with this kit and other big brake swaps... would it be worth getting this one new, getting them powder coated or Ceracoted (around $1200 total) vs getting a Prodigy 6-pot FSA caliper with the titanium vented pistons (they sell with aluminum) ($1490)

Another option at this range was the APR kit on sale, but it is already sold out. And further north the Racingline Stage 2 Evo for $2093, and Neuspeed 6 pot for over $2600 painted red.
It all depends on what you plan on doing with the car.

Do you want it for a little bling, lots of pad choices, lots of confirmed wheel fitments and easy pad swaps for spirited driving and the occasional track day? The Macan setup is tough to beat.

Anything beyond that, go with a known good track setup.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Do you want it for a little bling, lots of pad choices, lots of confirmed wheel fitments and easy pad swaps for spirited driving and the occasional track day? The Macan setup is tough to beat.
Right now it will be mostly for looks, not planning on doing any serious track days... my hearing got messed up in the service and I don't do well with fast turns anymore. Don't know why they would be correlated, but that is what the PCM at the base said.