GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilovers or Aftermarket Struts + Springs for Daily Driver?

Which suspension to go with for lowering + comfortable daily driver?

• BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • KW V1 Coilovers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • KW V2 Coilovers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • KW Street Comfort Coilovers

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Koni Yellow + H&R Lowering Springs

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Bilstein B8 + H&R Lowering Springs

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Me too! Haha. I’m unbelievably back-and-forth about it. When I bought the Golf R B6’s + Golf R springs, I was at the time unaware that Alltrack-specific B6’s were produced for Alltrack springs. Had I known that, I would’ve saved myself a bunch of money on the R Estate Springs from E-ACCA/Latvia lol. I didn’t WANT to give up stock Alltrack ride height/utility but wasn’t aware I had any other option.

So now I’ve got the R B6’s + Springs, but don’t really want them. I’ve posted them for sale and gotten 5+ interested buyers but can’t get off my lazy ass to ship them🤣

I’m a sloth
I think you should just hang into the R/R Varient springs and R sized B6's for your DAP RallyTrack type GoLower mod in future. Think of them as an "investment" that can only go up in price...🤣 (or "infrastructure" if yiu are of that persuasion)...🥸

Just get the Alltrack OEM ride height B6 shocks and throw them on...

heck, get the RallyWag Products 1" lift all around for only $224 and tell us howya like those too!

Of course you are gonna need new wheels and tires, amiright?

Just take it out of the kids college fund...(running away chuckling eeevilly)

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
For a 1.8, just go BC Racing DS with Swift Springs. That's probably what I'm going to do if I need higher springs rates although my Dinan coilovers have been great. Probably go 7k or 8k front, 10k rear

https://shop.bcracing-na.com/produc...vii-49-5mm-front-strut?variant=19641442861144
Are the swift spring upgrades worth it for street driving? I dont track at all.

also, their FAQ section on their website says the pillowball mounts increase driving noise by quite a bit… does anyone have experience with that? Is it annoying?

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

also, their FAQ section on their website says the pillowball mounts increase driving noise by quite a bit… does anyone have experience with that? Is it annoying?
I run adjustable camber plates, which I suspect are similar to a pillowball mount in terms of NVH.

I think you will notice a difference. Road noise and even engine noise will be amplified somewhat, and to some degree, depending on your wheel size. I run 15s on the street so there is a noticeable change but not bad. Someone on 18s might care more.

On the plus side, firmer mounts provide more steering feel and responsiveness.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

Swift / hyperco springs are a huge upgrade over the BC springs. They're lighter weight and made with higher quality spring steel. Would definitely recommend

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Coilovers simply for ease of swapping out/in. EQT all the way

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I've been running Koni Yellows set to almost full soft with H&R OE springs. Its a daily that I track maybe 6 times a season. Absolutely love this set up. I would have gone with the Bilsteins if I could have found them when I was doing the upgrade. Now that I am on Koni's I have no regrets. Good luck,
What he said. Same setup, same settings, same reasons for having them. I do run mine a bit firmer because the roads around here are generally very good.

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
i have bc racing br series coilovers with the swift spring upgrade. unfortunately there was a miscommunication with my order and they gave me the standard 7k front 6k rear springs. they ride good and feel almost stock. but the springs are definitely too soft for me. i will upgrade to 9k front 8k rear. as i should be okay without having to send them back and have them re-valved.

IMG_5141.jpg
DSCF0876.jpg

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Glad I found this thread because I’ve been wondering the same thing. Sounds like EQT coilovers are worth seriously considering. I was leaning towards some bilstein b8’s with neuspeed or eibach springs.

Here’s a question that weighs into my decision…which route is easier to install? Coilovers or a new strut/spring combo? I’m no expert mechanic so if one is definitively easier than that would play into my decision. My approach is always to try to take apart as little as possible so as to have the smallest chance of messing anything up 😂

Last edited: