GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilovers or Aftermarket Struts + Springs for Daily Driver?

Which suspension to go with for lowering + comfortable daily driver?

• BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • KW V1 Coilovers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • KW V2 Coilovers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • KW Street Comfort Coilovers

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Koni Yellow + H&R Lowering Springs

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Bilstein B8 + H&R Lowering Springs

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
I know there’s tons of info on various forums on this topic, and I continuously read mixed reviews on everything of course.

So I wanted to spark some conversation around your personal experiences running coilovers vs. struts and lowering spring combos. I’m currently on stock struts with VWR springs, and looking for a little bit more low (not crazy aggressive) but don’t want to give up too much daily driving ride quality. Not a race car, not about the crazy stance game, but want something with good ride quality that gets rid of the small wheel gap I still have with VWR springs.

Seems like some people love the BC Racing coilovers, and some have issues and say they are junk. KW seems to be a great brand, but not sure how much adjustability I’d really need for a set it and forget it type of setup.

Would love to see what your choice is in the poll above. If ”Other”, please specify what, and why!
Thanks!

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I'm on Koni yellows with GTI springs. The front is about 1/2" below stock ride height due to extra suspension leverage in my setup. Previously I had stock Golf struts and shocks.

I noticed increased firmness when I installed the back shocks, even at 1/4 turn from full soft. Not uncomfortable, just firmer. Same for the front struts.

If I were using the oem top strut mount, I would guess that lowering another half to an inch would be possible without compromising ride quality further...bumpstops would definitely need trimming though.

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
Hi
Using MCA Suspension Pro Comfort coil overs https://mcasuspension.com/products/pro-comfort-series . Plenty of useful adjustment straight out of the box . I'm sitting at 10mm gap between top of tyre and wheel arch . After having to back op's these coils give a nice compfy ride with great performance . If you want to tuck the tyre up into the guard their pro street is the better option or their reds for full custom tuning .
3 year warranty , try and get 3 years out of KW , BILSTEIN
Fully rebuild able

Since the US dollar is strong against the AU dollar could be a great option .

Cheers
Mal

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I've been running Koni Yellows set to almost full soft with H&R OE springs. Its a daily that I track maybe 6 times a season. Absolutely love this set up. I would have gone with the Bilsteins if I could have found them when I was doing the upgrade. Now that I am on Koni's I have no regrets. Good luck,

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Bilstein B8's and H&R Sports.

I don't have extensive experience with coilovers and I didn't want to pay for all of the adjustability that comes along with them. So I went with a strut/shock and spring combo that was tried on and tested on the platform. It provides a moderate drop and I think it looks and feels great.

I'm about 1.25" lower and the ride has stiffened up a bit but on most roads / highways it doesn't feel much different. I can also still get over speed bumps and in and out of driveways without much thought.

I think for a car you daily it's the way to go. For about $900 all in (including new hardware and everything) you can't beat it.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm glad I went coilovers for the adjustability. Had to raise it up when I put in 18x9 with 265's. If I had just gone springs, would've had to change them out.

Also, you can control rake better with coilovers.

Don't think there's a performance benefit until you get to custom springs, shock valving

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Bilstein B8's and H&R Sports.

I don't have extensive experience with coilovers and I didn't want to pay for all of the adjustability that comes along with them. So I went with a strut/shock and spring combo that was tried on and tested on the platform. It provides a moderate drop and I think it looks and feels great.

I'm about 1.25" lower and the ride has stiffened up a bit but on most roads / highways it doesn't feel much different. I can also still get over speed bumps and in and out of driveways without much thought.

I think for a car you daily it's the way to go. For about $900 all in (including new hardware and everything) you can't beat it.
Could you PM me a pic of the car so I can see what kind of ride height I’d be expecting? :)

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Bilstein Coilovers. I have the B16, but the B14 for the price is not far off from a shock/spring setup and allows you to change your ride height, which is worth its weight in gold.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
lol give me the gold