GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilovers or Aftermarket Struts + Springs for Daily Driver?

Which suspension to go with for lowering + comfortable daily driver?

• BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • KW V1 Coilovers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • KW V2 Coilovers

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • KW Street Comfort Coilovers

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Koni Yellow + H&R Lowering Springs

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Bilstein B8 + H&R Lowering Springs

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Bilstein Coilovers. I have the B16, but the B14 for the price is not far off from a shock/spring setup and allows you to change your ride height, which is worth its weight in gold.

That's why I went with the B14. It wasn't all that much more than a shock/spring combo and I get to set my ride height exactly the way I want it. Plus its an actual German made part...if that means anything to anyone.

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Considering doing the Bilstein B14’s now actually. Seems like it would be in the ballpark area of my VWR springs ride height, with ability to still go lower. Also read that with these, running them too close to their lowest setting really affects the ride quality.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
many bilstein struts have internal bumpstops. If this is the case with GTI, then I suppose there's a threshold where you're too close to the internal bump stop. perhaps bilstein owners can corroborate.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I went down this road and looked at every option and ended up buying eqt coilovers but havent installed yet. Didnt like the vwr springs with oem shocks though.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Considering doing the Bilstein B14’s now actually. Seems like it would be in the ballpark area of my VWR springs ride height, with ability to still go lower. Also read that with these, running them too close to their lowest setting really affects the ride quality.

Most coilovers the the low limit will have reduced ride quality. I think DAP has a video of the B14's spun all the way down.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Other. Custom redshift digressive BC coils.

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie
Im running billstein b8’s with neuspeed race springs. The springs are an advertised 1.6” drop and with the ecs flush kit and austins i think it is pretty much a perfect stance. Ride quality is stiffer but thats to be expected with suspension mods imo.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Edit: just saw you’re a 1.8 Golf. Definitely get Bilsteins, just verify you’re choosing the 50mm strut version for the Golf, not the 55mm for the GTI or R.

My votes on KW Street Comforts, EQT Balanced Line, or Bilstein B6/8 w/ OEM R springs/Eibach Pro Kit or similar lowering springs. The latter is cheapest, but EQT Coils are receiving really good feedback for street-driven coils, and KW Street Comforts have long been a good coil over for street driving. Until EQT released theirs, I always thought I’d go KW Street Comfort if I ever went with coils.

I am about to put Bilstein B6 + OEM Golf R springs on my Alltrack.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Edit: just saw you’re a 1.8 Golf. Definitely get Bilsteins, just verify you’re choosing the 50mm strut version for the Golf, not the 55mm for the GTI or R.

My votes on KW Street Comforts, EQT Balanced Line, or Bilstein B6/8 w/ OEM R springs/Eibach Pro Kit or similar lowering springs. The latter is cheapest, but EQT Coils are receiving really good feedback for street-driven coils, and KW Street Comforts have long been a good coil over for street driving. Until EQT released theirs, I always thought I’d go KW Street Comfort if I ever went with coils.

I am about to put Bilstein B6 + OEM Golf R springs on my Alltrack.
Be interested in how that works for ya.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Be interested in how that works for ya.

Me too! Haha. I’m unbelievably back-and-forth about it. When I bought the Golf R B6’s + Golf R springs, I was at the time unaware that Alltrack-specific B6’s were produced for Alltrack springs. Had I known that, I would’ve saved myself a bunch of money on the R Estate Springs from E-ACCA/Latvia lol. I didn’t WANT to give up stock Alltrack ride height/utility but wasn’t aware I had any other option.

So now I’ve got the R B6’s + Springs, but don’t really want them. I’ve posted them for sale and gotten 5+ interested buyers but can’t get off my lazy ass to ship them🤣

I’m a sloth