GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The 4th water pump just went in my car at 79996
The 4th including the original, I wouldn’t want to exaggerate how bad these are…

Gotta get this letter
Just go to the website...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You have an 8 year 80k mile extended warranty on the plump now. Take it in and have it replaced under warranty.
Not until the lawsuit is settled.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Daiei

Hello all,

My water pump went out at 71k and repair was done by dealership. Happy and hoping that will be covered under the lawsuit.

Less then a month later my upper radiator hose "failed and was seeping" according to the dealership, so that had to be replaced. I was pissed because I had just paid a fortune for the water pump.

Do you think I can claim this under the water pump lawsuit? Is this something that must be detached/attached/touched during a water pump install?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Hello all,

My water pump went out at 71k and repair was done by dealership. Happy and hoping that will be covered under the lawsuit.

Less then a month later my upper radiator hose "failed and was seeping" according to the dealership, so that had to be replaced. I was pissed because I had just paid a fortune for the water pump.

Do you think I can claim this under the water pump lawsuit? Is this something that must be detached/attached/touched during a water pump install?
Nope. It will be just the water pump.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
The 4th water pump just went in my car at 79996
The 4th including the original, I wouldn’t want to exaggerate how bad these are…

Gotta get this letter

I'm wondering if that's a failure of all of those replacement pumps, or a problem with the installation of them?

Knifebright, your profile says you're in the Bay Area, so look at the CA lemon law. Here's a quick info sheet: https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/lemonlaw_qa.pdf

Specifically: "The manufacturer or dealer hasn’t fixed the same problem after four or more attempts." So you'll need to have it repaired one more time (your 5th pump is your 4th repair) and then if it fails after that, you've got a lemon, I think. The 30-days-out-of-service thing is "OR" (not "AND") -- you don't need both to be true.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Knifebright, your profile says you're in the Bay Area, so look at the CA lemon law. Here's a quick info sheet: https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/lemonlaw_qa.pdf

Specifically: "The manufacturer or dealer hasn’t fixed the same problem after four or more attempts." So you'll need to have it repaired one more time (your 5th pump is your 4th repair) and then if it fails after that, you've got a lemon, I think.
There is almosty always a time frame here - usually the first 12-24 mos. This one is likely way out of the range for that.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
There is almosty always a time frame here - usually the first 12-24 mos. This one is likely way out of the range for that.
Oh, good point. Actually it seems that "The Lemon Law applies to most new vehicles purchased or leased in California that are still under a manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty" which might include the extension to 80k (if this class action is successful) for the water pump, but I don't think Knifebright will get 2 more pumps to fail in 4 miles. Oh well.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Oh, good point. Actually it seems that "The Lemon Law applies to most new vehicles purchased or leased in California that are still under a manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty" which might include the extension to 80k (if this class action is successful) for the water pump, but I don't think Knifebright will get 2 more pumps to fail in 4 miles. Oh well.
At some point you just needt his repaired correctly which clearly isn't happening in that case. Mine took a dump at ~70K, fixed and no drama since. I've put in for reibursement so maybe I'll get that grand back!

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie

Specifically: "The manufacturer or dealer hasn’t fixed the same problem after four or more attempts." So you'll need to have it repaired one more time (your 5th pump is your 4th repair) and then if it fails after that, you've got a lemon, I think. The 30-days-out-of-service thing is "OR" (not "AND") -- you don't need both to be true.
Ya i think i missed that boat. I swear this one is the one, pump 4 guys is where it is at!!!! To be fair, this one was replaced under warranty at my indie shop as it was just over a year (within a month) but they honored it without me asking. The first replacement was at a different indie shop. I’m going to fill out the form for the 2nd replacement (3rd pump) and may mention the 2nd pump but I can’t find the paper work there plus assuming I only get one back.

all ridiulousness aside, the worst part about this thing with my car is I’m always waiting for a coolant leak. I have a bunch of water condensate from what I believe is the air con drain and it fairly enough, freaked me out. Definitely water and not coolant but still man if I don’t get all concerned anytime anythign is leaking from this car.

I do love this car but sometimes I swear…

im about to embark on a roadtrip in two weeks in my gti and i think my WP or thermostat is weeping just a bit. trying to decide if i should get an indy shop to replace it and then try to get reimbursed.

based on this post:

If comment #80 is correct (and I believe it is), nobody gets to just "take it in an have it replaced under warranty" until after the August decision. It's pretty confusing but this is my understanding:
  • Before June 10: if you paid out of pocket, get reimbursed by the settlement funds (if the class wins, which we'll know in August)
  • Between June 10 and August 30: if you paid out of pocket, get reimbursed by VW warranty department (if the class wins, which we'll know in August)
  • After August 30: if the class won, you won't pay out of pocket because the dealer will get paid by VW warranty department directly
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

did i miss my window to pursue this and would have to go directly through VW once they decide my water pump is leaking enough (or failed outright) to be replaced

tigeo

Autocross Champion
im about to embark on a roadtrip in two weeks in my gti and i think my WP or thermostat is weeping just a bit. trying to decide if i should get an indy shop to replace it and then try to get reimbursed.

based on this post:

did i miss my window to pursue this and would have to go directly through VW once they decide my water pump is leaking enough (or failed outright) to be replaced
If your car is under the OE or aftermarket extended warranty get it fixed like normal (if they deem thar it needs to be replaced....). If you are out of warranty obviously if it needs to be replaced get it fixed. If this CA is settled VW would reimburse you for the out-of-pocket if you are within the 8/80K.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Court hearing started 15 minutes ago! 😅