GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Hmmm. Got the letter, but at 82k its a non issue...
Unless they count from time on the parts, vs the vehicle/odo on my first and only water pump R&R around 30k...🤔 under the 3/36 on 2016/2017 Alltracks.

I spose I've now jinxed myself here just for asking in my previously-no-drama car-karma...🤣

Last edited:

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Thanks. I had actually thought about buying a spare to keep around in case I needed it. I'm at 52k right now and so far still ok.
Thats a good idea actually on spare parts if you plan to keep it. At some point these will go NLA especially at the rate replaced...supply chain, yada yada.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Gotcha. Also I replaced my pump at about 4.5 years ~115 k mi, at that mileage would I still get reimbursed?
Canada? This looks to be a U.S. based deal.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand my water pump has started leaking majorly....FML

tigeo

Autocross Champion
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand my water pump has started leaking majorly....FML
Are you still under warranty? If so just have ML at Brown's sort it out for you.

Tom1759

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I noticed my 2017 mk7 with 49k miles started having a very slow coolant leak a couple months ago. I've had to fill my coolant every month or so to keep it above the min line.
I also got this letter in the mail, but it sounds like it'd be best to wait until after the lawsuit is over to bring my car to VW and use the extended warranty (if they win)? Since the class notice document states the reimbursement is for service done "prior to June 10, 2022". Please let me know if I'm understanding incorrectly...

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I noticed my 2017 mk7 with 49k miles started having a very slow coolant leak a couple months ago. I've had to fill my coolant every month or so to keep it above the min line.
I also got this letter in the mail, but it sounds like it'd be best to wait until after the lawsuit is over to bring my car to VW and use the extended warranty (if they win)? Since the class notice document states the reimbursement is for service done "prior to June 10, 2022". Please let me know if I'm understanding incorrectly...
You have an 8 year 80k mile extended warranty on the plump now. Take it in and have it replaced under warranty.

Last edited:

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
You have an 8 year 80k mile extended warranty on the plump now. Take it in and have it replaced under warranty.
If comment #80 is correct (and I believe it is), nobody gets to just "take it in an have it replaced under warranty" until after the August decision. It's pretty confusing but this is my understanding:
  • Before June 10: if you paid out of pocket, get reimbursed by the settlement funds (if the class wins, which we'll know in August)
  • Between June 10 and August 30: if you paid out of pocket, get reimbursed by VW warranty department (if the class wins, which we'll know in August)
  • After August 30: if the class won, you won't pay out of pocket because the dealer will get paid by VW warranty department directly
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tom1759

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
If comment #80 is correct (and I believe it is), nobody gets to just "take it in an have it replaced under warranty" until after the August decision. It's pretty confusing but this is my understanding:
  • Before June 10: if you paid out of pocket, get reimbursed by the settlement funds (if the class wins, which we'll know in August)
  • Between June 10 and August 30: if you paid out of pocket, get reimbursed by VW warranty department (if the class wins, which we'll know in August)
  • After August 30: if the class won, you won't pay out of pocket because the dealer will get paid by VW warranty department directly
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like the final approval hearing date was pushed back to October 19 unfortunately... https://waterpumpsettlement.com/Important-Dates

Interestingly only certain VW models got an extended claim filing deadline of October - the Beatle, Eos, GTI and Tiguan. I wonder why they would include the GTI but not the R?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The 4th water pump just went in my car at 79996
The 4th including the original, I wouldn’t want to exaggerate how bad these are…

Gotta get this letter
I'm wondering if that's a failure of all of those replacement pumps, or a problem with the installation of them?