GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Hope they do that in the UK, I am on my third one.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Just literally got a letter in the mail today about the water pump failures, wondering if anyone get one as well? I'm based in NJ.

Reading through it quickly, looks like VW is finally reimbursing owners for the replacement out of pocket.
I'm central Jersey and received the letter today.
If I'm interpreting the letter correctly, VW has extended the water pump warranty to 8 years or 80,000 miles but there's a sliding scale.
It looks as though if the water pump failed on my vehicle (7 years old and 62,000 miles) I'd only be covered for 10%.
I hope I'm reading that wrong.

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
If I'm interpreting the letter correctly, VW has extended the water pump warranty to 8 years or 80,000 miles but there's a sliding scale.
It looks as though if the water pump failed on my vehicle (7 years old and 62,000 miles) I'd only be covered for 10%.
I think mine may be on the way out again. I hope this covers everyone.

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
As long as you’re covered under the warranty(which you still are from what you’re saying) they should have the ability to reimburse you 100%

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
As long as you’re covered under the warranty(which you still are from what you’re saying) they should have the ability to reimburse you 100%
Re-reading the letter this morning, it looks like full coverage for the pump is 8 years or 80,000 miles.
It's engine damage caused by a pump failure coverage that is on sliding scale.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Got the letter as well, and yeah it's a lot to read through but that's my read as well: they're being more generous (in terms of time/mileage) with the cost of replacing the pump and a bit tighter on the cost of any further complications.

I haven't had a water pump repair/replacement yet, but the other day I had a dealer tell me I have a coolant leak at my thermostat housing, and that typically they replace both the thermostat and the water pump when this occurs, so they gave me a quote of just under $2k which I believe is for doing both. I haven't had the work done yet (super slow leak, I go months between coolant top-offs) but now I wonder what would happen if I let them do that and claim it under this class action. The wording in the claim letter is that they cover "one (1) repair or replacement of a failed primary engine water pump" so it would be an interesting situation if I were to have paid for replacement despite it not having failed. Does anyone know if it's possible that a coolant leak at the thermostat housing could potentially be caused by a defective/failed water pump? I'm not too familiar with how these all interact with each other.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
bring donuts (quality ones) to the dealer. They'll do it for you
Or should I not use the dealer out of TD1 concerns? The class action letter does mention "damages resulting from ... alteration or modification ... shall be excluded" which makes me want to use an indy shop instead given my tune. On the other hand, would the dealer even need to hook the car up to ODIS in the first place if I'm just paying out of pocket (not trying to have warranty payment approved before work begins) and then submitting a claim later? Hm...... since the letter does say non-dealership work is eligible for a claim, maybe I just play it safe and try that.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I would NOT bring a tuned car to the dealer
Noted. It looks like there are actually 2 completely separate ways to go about this:
  1. Work done on or after June 10, 2022: it will be considered warranty work. Section 1 of the letter covers this. Section 1 is where the "alteration or modification" clause is located, presenting an issue for tuned cars. It specifically entitles us to work by an authorized dealer only.
  2. Work done prior to June 10, 2022: it will be a reimbursement for non-warranty work. Section 2 of the letter covers this. Section 2 says nothing about "alteration or modification" voiding the claim for reimbursement. The letter specifically says non-dealer work is covered (up to a max of $1150) as well as dealer work.
Looks like I'm headed to a euro shop in the next 13 days!

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
does this specify between factory warranty and third party?
I don't understand the question. You quoted the part of my comment that deals with reimbursement for people who paid out of pocket, which has nothing to do with a warranty (factory warranty or third-party warranty).