GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs EQT

cagansevinc

Ready to race!
Guy I need help. I can't seem to find an answer for my question. I am running EFR 163 turbo from APR and their tune as well but I want to switch it up to EQT. Did anybody experience anything with similar setup ? Also, after getting my APR tune updated, I got limited rev @4k rpm and pops and bangs tune gone lol..

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I agree with everyone in the thread but am adding another answer because quarantine has me bored as hell and browsing this forum all day.

I have been APR stage 1 tuned since 4K miles (35k now). Never had a single issue and the car has always performed perfectly. Driven in everything from 20 degrees to 120 degrees, up to 12000ft elevation, autocross, start stop traffic, you name it. Car has never skipped a beat. But even that said, if I could do it all over again I’d go EQT. The Cobb AP platform allows tremendous flexibility and I have heard nothing but excellence regarding EQTs customer service. I don’t have any legitimate reason to switch tunes right now but I’m still considering it just because of how many good things I’ve heard about EQT.

Last edited:

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
What do I need to buy on their website to get started with EQT for a '19 GTI DSG? These?

View attachment 169808

I think just the first 2. AP purchases from EQT come with free base maps currently. And you'll have to use Cobb's dsg map(s), custom mapping for the dq381 isn't available yet. Cobb's maps are still a nice improvement over stock from what I've heard.

You can get a custom tune if that's what you desire. But I'd do that at stage 2 and up only imo

Attachments

• Inked1586559713886_LI.jpg
    Inked1586559713886_LI.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
The Cobb Sport DSG map works well with the EQT Stage 2 file on my R. OEM+ was amazing compared to stock and I think sport is just about the sweet spot for a stage 2 car.

ck23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R (DSG) - Lapiz
I agree with everyone in the thread but am adding another answer because quarantine has me bored as hell and browsing this forum all day.

I have been APR stage 1 tuned since 4K miles (35k now). Never had a single issue and the car has always performed perfectly. Driven in everything from 20 degrees to 120 degrees, up to 12000ft elevation, autocross, start stop traffic, you name it. Car has never skipped a beat. But even that said, if I could do it all over again I’d go EQT. The Cobb AP platform allows tremendous flexibility and I have heard nothing but excellence regarding EQTs customer service. I don’t have any legitimate reason to switch tunes right now but I’m still considering it just because of how many good things I’ve heard about EQT.

That's good feedback as well. Like yourself, I have only had APR tunes on my VW's, and have had excellent results. However, I also keep reading (overwhelming in this thread, but also elsewhere) of how good not only the product is from EQT, but also the customer service/support from Ed and his team. That alone makes me feel very good and confident in going with EQT. In addition, the flexibility that the AP offers in terms of "other" tunes and resale ability is an added bonus.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Just do it. I have just switched from Unitronic, stage 2. The EQT tune is smoother, and throttle response is improved, especially at very low speeds when trying to take off.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just do it. I have just switched from Unitronic, stage 2. The EQT tune is smoother, and throttle response is improved, especially at very low speeds when trying to take off.

Are you considering a protune now?

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
On the question of reliability/longevity vs performance... How does the EQT stage 1 do? APR Stage 1 seemed like a subtle upgrade that just explores with the motor is capable of without running into reliability issues, I would assume EQT stage 1 to do the same unless anybody has other experience, thoughts etc.