GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs EQT

draza74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
17 GTI
The ONLY reason to go with APR is if you wanted to the APR+ where they cover warranty repairs that are denied by the dealer due to the tune.

Other than that, AP and reputable tuner.
Wouldn't even recommend APR+
That's a very conservative tune and iirc it's tuned for 87.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Wouldn't even recommend APR+
That's a very conservative tune and iirc it's tuned for 87.

Totally agree, it's for people that want a few more hp and a warranty. Pretty low gains, but that might be what some people want.

I'm using ots cobb stg 1 91 oct with 93 oct gas to keep hp down and avoid knock under hard use. Trying to get the clutch to last a year.

I'm kicking myself for not getting DSG.

ianisme1

Is there a reason that you aren't considering Integrated Engineering? I'm very pleased with mine since I upgraded.

BlackDog68

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI autobahn dsg
Hi All!

Looking for some guidance. I've traditionally been an APR fan, having their tunes on several of my past cars (1 MK7, 1 MK7.5 Golf R). However, I just picked up a MK7 GTI as a commuter and somewhat project car. Not necessarily looking to go bigger on the turbo, but have absolutely thought about Stage 2.

In doing some research, I see that EQT seems to be getting good press currently, so I'm considering a AP with an EQT tune. At the same time, I'm still considering APR as well. I do like the ability to sell the AP at some point (when the car sells etc.), and the flash at home option. I would also do a DSG tune as I feel there is much improvement to be had in that arena.

The plan would be to initially do Stage 1, then upgrade after some time. However, it's hard to find Stage 1 numbers with the EQT base tune. With APR, the website clearly shows the expected gains.

Does anyone have experience comparing these tunes?

Thanks for any/all feedback!
I've had both tunes on my car, and they are both great, I took the APR tune off because I'll probably go Stage 2 and home flashing is a requirement to pass emissions if I do. The comparison is not about the tune so much as the flexibility the AP offers, at a lower cost if you resell the AP. But FWIW the Eqt tune seems a little better, but in fairness I also did the dsg (COBB sport, eqt going on soon) at the same time so the current set up is actually way better than APR no dsg except the mpg has gone down probably as a result of my right foot down too :).
Added note I screwed up my COBB AP install and Cobb support was amazing.
EQT Support has been great too

ck23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R (DSG) - Lapiz
All, thank you for the feedback. That's one of the great things about being on a forum like this! It sounds as though the EQT is the overwhelming favorite for various reasons.

Is there a reason that you aren't considering Integrated Engineering? I'm very pleased with mine since I upgraded.

Not particularly, just have considered these two, but that also bares consideration as well.

I've had both tunes on my car, and they are both great, I took the APR tune off because I'll probably go Stage 2 and home flashing is a requirement to pass emissions if I do. The comparison is not about the tune so much as the flexibility the AP offers, at a lower cost if you resell the AP. But FWIW the Eqt tune seems a little better, but in fairness I also did the dsg (COBB sport, eqt going on soon) at the same time so the current set up is actually way better than APR no dsg except the mpg has gone down probably as a result of my right foot down too :).
Added note I screwed up my COBB AP install and Cobb support was amazing.
EQT Support has been great too

How would you compare the APR Stage 1 to the EQT Stage 1 in terms of power (feel/butt dyno)?

Loopy

Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
The ONLY reason to go with APR is if you wanted to the APR+ where they cover warranty repairs that are denied by the dealer due to the tune.

Other than that, AP and reputable tuner.
There are reasons to go APR+ if you want a "set and forget" Stg 1 OEM+ Tune, plan to keep the car for a while to amortize the cost, and are never wanting to do more tuning. I know a lot of people here don't fall into that category but I do... having wasted way too much money on tuning Subies and a Mk 6 in the past. I'm done with that. And when you sell, the warranty is transferable, and a buyer at least knows what he is getting into, not some unknown set of mods.
APR+ is CARB approved in CA, and the warranty is a big "plus". 290hp is plenty enough ( few more hp???) and overwhelms the front tires anyway. The power is super smooth and I don't have any complaints.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There are reasons to go APR+ if you want a "set and forget" Stg 1 OEM+ Tune, plan to keep the car for a while to amortize the cost, and are never wanting to do more tuning. I know a lot of people here don't fall into that category but I do... having wasted way too much money on tuning Subies and a Mk 6 in the past. I'm done with that. And when you sell, the warranty is transferable, and a buyer at least knows what he is getting into, not some unknown set of mods.
APR+ is CARB approved in CA, and the warranty is a big "plus". 290hp is plenty enough ( few more hp???) and overwhelms the front tires anyway. The power is super smooth and I don't have any complaints.

290 HP isn't enough for a lot of us. And as I've read in some posts APR doesn't always stand behind the warranty.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Is EQT only in Cali?

I am in NJ, how would I go about getting their tune?

EQT is located in Cali and how you would go about getting his tunes is via the Cobb Access Port and emails. If you just go with his OTS tunes and buy the AP from EQT, Ed (owner and tuner for EQT) will preload the OTS tune on the AP and all you would have to do is install the AP to your car and flash/download the tune to your ECU. Now if you go with a protune from EQT, Ed will email you the tune and you will have to transfer it to your AP via the AP Manager application that you will have on your laptop (instructions on getting the AP manager will be provided with the AP). After transferring the tune to your AP, all you have to do is flash it to your car.