GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs EQT

ck23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R (DSG) - Lapiz
Hi All!

Looking for some guidance. I've traditionally been an APR fan, having their tunes on several of my past cars (1 MK7, 1 MK7.5 Golf R). However, I just picked up a MK7 GTI as a commuter and somewhat project car. Not necessarily looking to go bigger on the turbo, but have absolutely thought about Stage 2.

In doing some research, I see that EQT seems to be getting good press currently, so I'm considering a AP with an EQT tune. At the same time, I'm still considering APR as well. I do like the ability to sell the AP at some point (when the car sells etc.), and the flash at home option. I would also do a DSG tune as I feel there is much improvement to be had in that arena.

The plan would be to initially do Stage 1, then upgrade after some time. However, it's hard to find Stage 1 numbers with the EQT base tune. With APR, the website clearly shows the expected gains.

Does anyone have experience comparing these tunes?

Thanks for any/all feedback!

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
APR is a good company, but their tuning model is outdated and obsolete. AP / tuner of your choice, hands down.

Sanderzzz_

Ready to race!
EQT numbers are on their site, look under MQB FAQ.

Attachments

• E88AB72E-79C0-4936-8BB5-F7EBE75DF1FE.png
    E88AB72E-79C0-4936-8BB5-F7EBE75DF1FE.png
    607.2 KB · Views: 1,486

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Not much of a contest here. If the tunes were the exact same EQT's customer service alone would be enough for me to make a decision. In addition to his customer service, his tunes are widely regarded as some of the best you can get. I am very excited to begin my tuning process with him.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Since you plan to have a project car the AP makes more sense. You'll have the option of using tunes from multiple vendors which allows you to decide which you prefer rather than relying on the advice of fanboys of any particular tuner.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The ONLY reason to go with APR is if you wanted to the APR+ where they cover warranty repairs that are denied by the dealer due to the tune.

Other than that, AP and reputable tuner.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
yeah and even then, they don't seem real committed to the platform. They also support the Focus ST, but was way behind in Cobb AP in functionality, features, tables available, etc. It was fine for a stock or near stock car, but otherwise kinda meh--other than being able to tune yourself of course. And if you already have the hardware it would be super cheap.