GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs EQT

J_mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 gti
Switched to EQT stage 2 BASE map from apr stage 2 about a month ago after being APR fbo for two years.... eqt all the way

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Another benefit of APR is that they continue development of the map and produce updates.

EQT is doing this as well. Right now he's working on new stage 1/2 base tunes as well as e30 base maps. And you'll be able to flash those updates at home instead of being required to go to a shop. I think he's doing the R tunes first.

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
Haven't on mk7 yet... my mk6 Cobb DP had a extra o2 bung... was super convenient. Although you unplug the rear o2 with stage 2 and up Cobb tunes to prevent running rich, I'd rather add a bung and just leave the o2 sensor in the bung unplugged.

I'll probably get the mtx-d and run a psb-1 beside it. I love the ecb-1 but the screen is kinda small for more than 2 parameters. CJM has a nice dual pod + hood/visor setup for the left vent.
I'm on a Stage 2 EQT tune and have the rear o2 plugged in. I recall hearing awhile back about the tune would cause it to run rich over time, but don't recall hearing a solution. Do you just unplug and flash, then plug? Or permanently unplug the rear sensor? Can you elaborate a little on this? I've been EQT stage 2 for awhile now and never messed with it. I need to get the updated tune from him.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
I'm on a Stage 2 EQT tune and have the rear o2 plugged in. I recall hearing awhile back about the tune would cause it to run rich over time, but don't recall hearing a solution. Do you just unplug and flash, then plug? Or permanently unplug the rear sensor? Can you elaborate a little on this? I've been EQT stage 2 for awhile now and never messed with it. I need to get the updated tune from him.
What Aaron said. Unplug (in the engine bay), reflash and leave unplugged.

FST_NML

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI S DSG LP/PP
EQT is doing this as well. Right now he's working on new stage 1/2 base tunes as well as e30 base maps. And you'll be able to flash those updates at home instead of being required to go to a shop. I think he's doing the R tunes first.
And if you’re the original purchaser, it’s only $25 for map updates.

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
And if you’re the original purchaser, it’s only $25 for map updates.
For ECU base map updates, is there a change log somewhere that we can read to see what changes were made each revision? Also, how do we know when a new base revision is released?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For ECU base map updates, is there a change log somewhere that we can read to see what changes were made each revision? Also, how do we know when a new base revision is released?

Check their website.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
I think the easiest way to keep track is the EQT MQB facebook group and maybe the EQT thread on here. Ed regularly posts updates in the FB group.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
You want to set and forget, but leave room for more power... go with APR. You want the max from the car and mods it has? Go with EQT. Something to consider though, APR doesn’t have an install at home. You could use UNI, IE, GIAC for OTS tuning and can be flashed at home.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Isn't "set and forget" what the "Stage" tunes are, from both tuners?
Exactly... APR Stage 1, 2, etc

EQT (base map) Stage 1, 2

Both are "Set n Forget". Don't have to get a custom tune from EQT

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Well yeah, I was more speaking of custom... I know EQT has stage tunes... I just think of APR, UNI, etc when I think of OTS tunes.
Gotcha.

At first, I would have said that APR was the way to go from a cost perspective on a Stage 1, since you have to buy the AccessPort. Now that EQT is including their base map with the purchase though, the cost is around $50 between the two. I'd say it's a toss up. Go with whichever one you are more comfortable with. I'm leaning towards EQT because I live in a town that has no tuners. I have to drive to a city to find an APR dealer. That makes the idea of a home-tune very attractive.