GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs EQT

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2016 GTI PP DSG, its had APR Stage 1 V1.22 since 14k miles and its now 55k. I got their DSG tune 5k ago. I have been having some issues for the better part of a year and none of my local APR dealers will give me any advise, the want me to pay their diag fees before they will even tell me if they think they can fix it. Apr themselves have been pretty vague and have been of almost no help at all. Not rude but just like they don't care about me.

The problem I have is that under full or near full throttle when I shift either 2->3 or 3->4 it goes from 22-24 lbs of boost to 3 lbs and stays there until I lift. It only does this occasionally, never when I am data logging, sometimes when driving and always when I need to pass someone.

Now clearly V1.22 is a very old tune, it was flashed 08-19-2016. APR is well beyond 2.x now and alot of folks claim its massively better, but I also see people describe it as less powerful but smoother. What I wish I could figure out it weather the new APR tune OR the EQT tune will fix this weird bug I have. Ed said today that I should stop using Chevron and try shell V-power. I also did a datalog with VCDS on the chevron and I have alot of knock retarding at high RPMs, I got down to 15 miles range and filled with V-power and will try another log tomorrow and see if anything changes.

I read all 8 pages of this post and I still can't decide between staying with APR or EQT. $1075 for the EQT sale, which includes ECU and DSG tunes, but then I would have to pay a little fee to bump up to stage 2. However I could just simply pay the $60 labor charge and flash to the latest APR tune and then later stage 2 will be free. Plus I would be throwing my $700 APR DSG tune away that I just got if I go EQT. The cost for EQT is higher by alot, but the trade off is customer service, flash at home, and potentially a better set of tunes. If I was bone stock I would definitely do EQT first but when you are waist deep in APR its hard to get out.

Last edited:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I was Eurodyne....now Ecutek....and they just released Cobb for Audi and I've sorta thought about that...so I hear ya brother!

If you're otherwise happy with your current setup, I would try that latest APR update and go from there.

Ed still hasn't released the "v2.0" staged tunes for the GTI, so in the meantime you can follow along with the progress of those. If they prove to be amazing and you still got the urge to switch, go for it then.

It's great that you're logging and monitoring stuff with the APR. Yes the Cobb AP is much more capable for logging...but just getting the basics and making sure stuff is safe, VCDS is just fine.

Many tuner do like not Chevron-- the theory is it has too many additives that actually take away from the octane and other performance characteristics.

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
I was Eurodyne....now Ecutek....and they just released Cobb for Audi and I've sorta thought about that...so I hear ya brother!

If you're otherwise happy with your current setup, I would try that latest APR update and go from there.

Ed still hasn't released the "v2.0" staged tunes for the GTI, so in the meantime you can follow along with the progress of those. If they prove to be amazing and you still got the urge to switch, go for it then.

It's great that you're logging and monitoring stuff with the APR. Yes the Cobb AP is much more capable for logging...but just getting the basics and making sure stuff is safe, VCDS is just fine.

Many tuner do like not Chevron-- the theory is it has too many additives that actually take away from the octane and other performance characteristics.
It says on EQT website the v2.0 is what you get right now, unless I am missing something.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Yup, GTI tunes are out too. I thought it was only R tunes too, but it's just the e30 staged tunes that are only available for the R right now.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I stand corrected....yep!

I still think your best option for now is try the updated APR tune, as much as I like Cobb and EQT. The grass is always greener on the other side and all that lol.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I think I'd probably go that route too, even though I can't say I'm a fan of APR. It's the easiest and cheapest solution to the problem, potentially.

Can he still use the apr dsg tune with a eqt tune? I have a manual so I don't pay a ton of attention to that stuff, but I know I've seen people mixing and matching different tuners. Saves you a little bit if you do have to switch.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yes you can mix and match no problem. Generally it makes sense to stick with same company as they should be optimized for best shift points etc....but to a certain extent an is20 or is38 car will be pretty similar.

DSG tune is one of those things that are really subjective to what is "best" too. Some guys like having D mode drive like stock, and S mode aggressive as hell. Others want D to be aggressive because that's their driving style. Very subjective and depends on personal preference.

That is one neat thing about the Cobb AP. Say you loved you EQT ecu tune but didnt love the DSG tune....go and try Stratified's TCU tune only for $100-150 or whatever.

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
I really really love my APR DSG tune, to me I couldn't imaging the trans shifting much better. Sometimes when I am in D and I have to slow down for someone turning then want to get back up to the speed limit quickly I have a noticeable delay before it'll go, less of a tune issue more of an automatic trans issue. When I am in manual it doesn't have this problem since I am already in gear. But overall I love the tune, D is nice eco friendly, S is really good, and if I know I want to drive hard M is much faster shifting than before.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a 2016 GTI PP DSG, its had APR Stage 1 V1.22 since 14k miles and its now 55k. I got their DSG tune 5k ago. I have been having some issues for the better part of a year and none of my local APR dealers will give me any advise, the want me to pay their diag fees before they will even tell me if they think they can fix it. Apr themselves have been pretty vague and have been of almost no help at all. Not rude but just like they don't care about me.

The problem I have is that under full or near full throttle when I shift either 2->3 or 3->4 it goes from 22-24 lbs of boost to 3 lbs and stays there until I lift. It only does this occasionally, never when I am data logging, sometimes when driving and always when I need to pass someone.

Now clearly V1.22 is a very old tune, it was flashed 08-19-2016. APR is well beyond 2.x now and alot of folks claim its massively better, but I also see people describe it as less powerful but smoother. What I wish I could figure out it weather the new APR tune OR the EQT tune will fix this weird bug I have. Ed said today that I should stop using Chevron and try shell V-power. I also did a datalog with VCDS on the chevron and I have alot of knock retarding at high RPMs, I got down to 15 miles range and filled with V-power and will try another log tomorrow and see if anything changes.

I read all 8 pages of this post and I still can't decide between staying with APR or EQT. $1075 for the EQT sale, which includes ECU and DSG tunes, but then I would have to pay a little fee to bump up to stage 2. However I could just simply pay the $60 labor charge and flash to the latest APR tune and then later stage 2 will be free. Plus I would be throwing my $700 APR DSG tune away that I just got if I go EQT. The cost for EQT is higher by alot, but the trade off is customer service, flash at home, and potentially a better set of tunes. If I was bone stock I would definitely do EQT first but when you are waist deep in APR its hard to get out.

I would switch to EQT for the tune and you can keep your APR DSG tune. Anotero switched from Uni to EQT for tuning and kept his Uni DSG tune.

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
I will be perfectly honest. I have been talking to Ed at EQT today, asking questions trying to figure out if his tune will help me. He hasn't been super friendly and hasn't tried to sell me his product whatsoever. I feel like I am annoying him. Maybe he's having a bad day but not inspiring...

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I think they are a little overwhelmed right now. I think they had 300 ordered over the weekend for their new staged tunes, out of stock of APs etc. Audi support just announced, tons of guys asking about that. Guy probably gets over 100 emails, messages a day, people on facebook tag him for every little question. Not the first time I've seen a tuner/company that is a small business like this quickly become very popular (for good reasons). But sometimes it can be a little overwhelming and they can't always handle it. Vs a big company like APR who has guys who just respond to questions, take orders etc. But I guess you haven't had a great experience iwth APR either.

It is what it is. Sometimes I would prefer to get a little more detailed reply/answer, but when I have messaged/emailed him, he almost always gets back same day, so I give him kudos for that.

You can always reach out to other Cobb tuners, they might be able to provide a little better 1 on 1 support if that's what you're after. I know Stratified makes "ots/staged" tunes for the GTI as well. And are actually quite a bit cheaper if you wanted multiple files... IE a 91 tune and E30 tune. They will only charge $75 extra vs EQT, where they charge $150 or whatever for each version of the tune.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index...Path=240_254&zenid=pm2klq6opfcj7la0jquf9dua52

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
I think they are a little overwhelmed right now. I think they had 300 ordered over the weekend for their new staged tunes, out of stock of APs etc. Audi support just announced, tons of guys asking about that. Guy probably gets over 100 emails, messages a day, people on facebook tag him for every little question. Not the first time I've seen a tuner/company that is a small business like this quickly become very popular (for good reasons). But sometimes it can be a little overwhelming and they can't always handle it. Vs a big company like APR who has guys who just respond to questions, take orders etc. But I guess you haven't had a great experience iwth APR either.

It is what it is. Sometimes I would prefer to get a little more detailed reply/answer, but when I have messaged/emailed him, he almost always gets back same day, so I give him kudos for that.

You can always reach out to other Cobb tuners, they might be able to provide a little better 1 on 1 support if that's what you're after. I know Stratified makes "ots/staged" tunes for the GTI as well. And are actually quite a bit cheaper if you wanted multiple files... IE a 91 tune and E30 tune. They will only charge $75 extra vs EQT, where they charge $150 or whatever for each version of the tune.

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index...Path=240_254&zenid=pm2klq6opfcj7la0jquf9dua52
Ya that makes sense, I don't know their situation. Just frustrating is all. I don't really want another tune until I am ready for stage 2 but if he could give me at least 50% shot that his tune would fix the issue I would just to finally be done with that problem. But either APR or EQT at this point I am spending money for 100% more uncertainty.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
First things first, you really need to capture the issue on a datalog before anyone can really troubleshoot that, I think. It could be any number of things.....tuning issue or maybe even a hardware issue.

Post up some logs either way and I'll take a look. I would just make a new thread

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Ya that makes sense, I don't know their situation. Just frustrating is all. I don't really want another tune until I am ready for stage 2 but if he could give me at least 50% shot that his tune would fix the issue I would just to finally be done with that problem. But either APR or EQT at this point I am spending money for 100% more uncertainty.

I was in a pretty similar situation with my last car so I get it. My mk6 gti had an apr tune and it just wasn't a good tune, there was nothing smooth about it. Apr didn't seem to be doing anything about it and cobb came out so on a whim I eventually ordered a stratified tune. It was immediately better and drove exactly like you would expect. Apr came out with an update that would have likely fixed my issues, but it was like a year or 2 after I had already switched.

I think without logs or codes any kind of diagnosis anybody could offer would just be guesses.