GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR presents the APR Carbon Fiber Intake System!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

Product Page

The APR Carbon Fiber Intake System is an attractive high performance upgrade for the latest 1.8T and 2.0T engines as found in various MQB platform vehicles.

The factory intake design has the foundation for excellent performance, but much of this is sacrificed in an effort to meet other design requirements. With requirements set forth for only supporting factory power output levels, low engine sound levels and long service intervals, there is plenty of room for improvement.

The APR Carbon Fiber Intake System increases performance primarily by improving mass airflow through the system while still proving adequate filtration. Expect greater horsepower and torque through the power band with a more direct and responsive feel upon pressing the throttle. Sounds from the engine and turbocharger are enhanced and some may even experience better fuel economy depending on driving style.

Research and Development

Uncommon to most in the market today, APR spared no expenses during the research and development period. For the better part of a year, APR’s Mechanical Engineers created several prototype intake designs utilizing our in house Sterolithography 3D printer and other rapid prototyping techniques. Various filter mediums were tested in conjunction with the new intake designs through simulated models, flow bench analysis, dyno data collection and in real world applications all in an effort to derive the best possible solution.

Collection of various test pieces.

Flow Bench Testing

Dyno Testing

Intake Filter Flow Bench Analysis

Intake housing Flow Bench Analysis

Engineering and Design Information

To increase performance over the factory intake system, the intake system’s ability to flow a higher mass of air is critical. In order to achieve this, APR’s Mechanical Engineers focused on improving the pressure ratio between the inlet and outlet of the intake system, reducing turbulence, maximizing filter efficiency and keeping IAT as low as possible.

Improving the Pressure Ratio

In an effort to strive for an ideal pressure ratio (1:1) between the intake’s inlet and outlet, the intake features several key characteristics:

Volute Filter Chamber

Through CFD optimization and flow-bench validation, the intake’s filter housing was shaped into a reducing spiral, or volute, which uses the inertia of the air entering the system to increase pressure on the outside of the filter. This creates an even pressure distribution across the entire face of the filter, rather thanonly a few key spots, and as such, maximizes utilization of the filtration element.

Compared to many other popular intake styles, the APR intake system allows for the use of a small, compact filter with better filter utilization as systems often twice its size.

High Pressure Inlet Snorkel and Sealed Design

Unlike traditional open element filters, the APR intake design only pulls air from the leading edge of the vehicle’s hood. In doing so, it’s drawing air from an area of relatively high pressure. As the vehicle increases in speed, pressure continues to build and ultimately aids in the intake’s effectiveness.

By sealing the intake system, pressure created during the ram air effect and volute design is not simply lost within the engine bay. This is contrary to open element filters that pull air from a relatively low pressure region formed within the engine bay.

Reducing Turbulence

Flow disruptions and turbulence ultimately impede airflow to and from the intake filter, resulting in a performance loss. The APR Intake system takes a two-step approach to improving mass airflow in this region.

Directional Turning Vanes

As air enters the intake entrance, directional vanes ensure airflow is properly directed towards the entire length of the intake filter rather than only a small portion. This results in a reduction of air turbulence and creates an event pressure distribution over the entire filter surface for maximum filter efficiency. As the filter becomes dirty with age, performance drop happens less dramatically as particles form evenly over a larger portion of the intake rather than localizing to one location or another.

Surface Roughness

When air flows through a smooth pipe, the speed at which the air flows is slower along the pipe’s smooth walls than is in the center of the pipe. Ultimately this results in a boundary layer that effectively reduces the cross-sectional area of the free flowing portion of the pipe, and creates drag. To minimize this effect as much as possible, the intake’s inner surface is kept mildly rough during the manufacturing process. As such, a thinner turbulent boundary layer forms, which ultimately prevents the boundary layer from growing larger as flow increases.

Intake Air Temperature Management

Intake air temperature (IAT) plays a critical role in engine performance, especially on turbocharged engines where the ambient air temperature is raised twice through both compression via the turbocharger, and then again during the engine’s compression stroke.

In an effort to maintain the lowest possible starting IAT, the APR Intake system begins by drawing air from the coldest possible location, which is the front end of the vehicle before the radiator. Air travels a short path through the intake system, past the filter and on its way to the turbocharger through a sealed intake design that prevents ingestion of hot, under-hood. Finally, the intake’s carbon composite design features a thin fiberglass backing, which improves thermal insulative properties.

Filtration

APR’s design requirements called for an intake filter medium that exhibited high flow capabilities, long service life and adequate filtration properties. While traditional paper filters and even some foam filters can achieve one or more of these requirements, only a pleated cotton filter was able to achieve all three. This is due in part to the intake housing’s volute design and turning vanes. With even pressure flow distribution across the entire filter element, the filter is loaded more evenly, retaining performance over time, increasing the length of the maintenance intervals, and increasing the filter's effectiveness.

Sound

In an effort to please customers unaware of the sounds caused by turbocharging an engine, as well as cross platform use on both economy and performance oriented vehicles, the OEM was tasked with creating an intake that many would consider to be too quite for a performance vehicle. APR’s design requirements called for an intake system that only delivered the engine’s true turbocharged sound as air is sucked through the turbocharger or exhausted from the diverter valve upon lifting off the throttle. The inherent stiffness of carbon fiber composite material results in an induction resonance from the engine allowing the occupants to hear a clean and crisp intake note without being overbearing or cheap sounding in nature.

Appearance

url=http://www.goapr.com/includes/img/products/intake_mqb_installed_details.jpg]
[/url]

Upon opening the hood, it’s clear to see why the APR Carbon Fiber Intake System is so highly sought after. Featuring a carbon fiber 2x2 weave common to the engine bays of Audi’s high end of Quattro GMBH vehicles, the intake demands attention and delivers form that matches the intake’s function despite playing a secondary roll in the design requirements.

Installation

The intake system comes preassembled form APR ready to be installed in minutes with minimal tools. With the factory unit removed, the intake slips into place and connects to the factory turbo inlet pipe using the OEM hardware without filling the engine bay with additional couplers and hose clamps. Because the system fits in the OEM location, it’s fully compatible with future upgrades from APR, including our larger Stage III Turbocharger Systems.

Dyno Results

Reported wheel figures measured on APR's in house Dynapack Dynamometer with a US Spec 2014 MK7 Golf GTI DSG, 2.0 TSI, using SAEJ1349 correction and an average of multiple runs. Crank figures estimated based on the measured wheel figures. Results will vary depending upon environmental conditions, vehicle, transmission, vehicle health, operating conditions, temperatures, fuel grade, dyno type, dyno setup, and other modifications.

Application Guide
*PRE RELEASE NOTE*
The Intake will be available at Waterfest 20 and on our site Monday, July 21st.

Audi A3 / S3 - (MK3 / Typ 8V) 1.8 TFSI & 2.0 TFSI
Seat Leon / Cupra - (MKIII / Typ 5F) 1.8 TSI & 2.0 TSI
Skoda Octavia / vRS - (MKIII / Typ 5E) 1.8 TSI & 2.0 TSI
Volkswagen Golf / GTI / R - (MK7 / A7 / Typ 5G) 1.8 TSI & 2.0 TSI

Part

CI100033

Price

$449.99

Vehicles equipped with secondary air injection (SAI) require the filter below.

CI100020A

$24.99

Last edited:

sage149

Ready to race!
[b said:
Filtration[/b]

APR’s design requirements called for an intake filter medium that exhibited high flow capabilities, long service life and adequate filtration properties. While traditional paper filters and even some foam filters can achieve one or more of these requirements, only a pleated cotton filter was able to achieve all three. This is due in part to the intake housing’s volute design and turning vanes. With even pressure flow distribution across the entire filter element, the filter is loaded more evenly, retaining performance over time, increasing the length of the maintenance intervals, and increasing the filter's effectiveness.

I have a question about the filter used in the carbon fiber intake. Is the filter oiled? I would rather not deal with oiling of a filter and was wondering if it was or not.

Also as a second question does this intake require the ECU stage 1 modification you recently released or can it work on its own with no software mods. Thanks.

Bonsu Gu

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a question about the filter used in the carbon fiber intake. Is the filter oiled? I would rather not deal with oiling of a filter and was wondering if it was or not.
Also as a second question does this intake require the ECU stage 1 modification you recently released or can it work on its own with no software mods. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't need oiling. As you may know, too much oiling can lead to damage of the sensors.
No need for software mods. No warning lights. I have used it for 3months
and there has been no problems without ECU stage modification.

Last edited:

Bonsu Gu

Passed Driver's Ed

The only problem that APR carbon intake has is the isc filter(secondary intake filter) is not included in the set, and the installation manual didn't mention about it. I've asked several dealers and found out that if you don;t install it, it does not cause any matter immediately, but it may damage a car's engine in the long term because any unexpected material can be sucked into the sensor. So they recommended that you block the sensor or at least you should take care of it not to let anything into the sensor. I think APR should mention the matter in the manual or lead consumers to buy the secondary intake filter

sage149

Ready to race!
------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't need oiling. As you may know, too much oiling can lead to damage of the sensors.
No need for software mods. No warning lights. I have used it for 3months
and there has been no problems without ECU stage modification.

Appreciate the info. Thank you.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

They are. Oiling is just a simple step during the cleaning process. You can use the K&N filter charging kits.

No software needed!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

The only problem that APR carbon intake has is the isc filter(secondary intake filter) is not included in the set, and the installation manual didn't mention about it. I've asked several dealers and found out that if you don;t install it, it does not cause any matter immediately, but it may damage a car's engine in the long term because any unexpected material can be sucked into the sensor. So they recommended that you block the sensor or at least you should take care of it not to let anything into the sensor. I think APR should mention the matter in the manual or lead consumers to buy the secondary intake filter

We mention the need for this filter on the website and in the release abovce. Only some engines have SAI, and not all.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I know you have done testing but I wonder about this claim that the rough wall pipe leads to better air flow. I do not have access to equipment like APR has but I have had experience with paddle fan blowers and the affect smooth wall pipe and corrugated pipe has on how much air you can get thru pipe.
Switching from the corrugated pipe to smooth pipe, the air flow thru pipe was much, much different with the smooth pipe and easily flowing more air. I know in this case it is not pushing but pulling air. I still think the air flow thru smooth pipe would be better. I understand the theory or turbulance on pipe surface and the air in center might flow faster but this also makes the pipe act like it is smaller in diameter as some room is taken up by the air rolling allong the pipe and restricting the main air flow.

Maybe others have more info our thoughts.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I know you have done testing but I wonder about this claim that the rough wall pipe leads to better air flow. I do not have access to equipment like APR has but I have had experience with paddle fan blowers and the affect smooth wall pipe and corrugated pipe has on how much air you can get thru pipe.
Switching from the corrugated pipe to smooth pipe, the air flow thru pipe was much, much different with the smooth pipe and easily flowing more air. I know in this case it is not pushing but pulling air. I still think the air flow thru smooth pipe would be better. I understand the theory or turbulance on pipe surface and the air in center might flow faster but this also makes the pipe act like it is smaller in diameter as some room is taken up by the air rolling allong the pipe and restricting the main air flow.

Maybe others have more info our thoughts.

I'm far from a science nerd that really knows this stuff, but years ago when I worked in the industry and had a performance shop I took a few race engine building and blueprinting courses at UTI. On the intake side of the engine, semi rough castings in the manifold and intake ports made for higher CFM's on the flow bench while this would have the opposite outcome on the exhaust side of the engine in some cases. But don't confuse rough castings with blockages though, like at the seam where the two halves of the casting meets usually does need some minor attention for optimal flow. Turbulent air flows faster over rough surfaces faster and more direct due to the high pressure zones being much larger than the low pressure zone around it. When its smooth the air inside becomes almost almost equal is pressure across the flow zone and air flow is not as direct, almost gets lost it path at times. This flow is the reason a golf ball has dimples.

Not sure if that makes sense, like I said, I was never that good at science but these are numbers I've seen proven with proper machinery before my own eyes.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
This is the difference between laminar flow and turbulent flow. In layman's terms, laminar flow "sticks" and turbulent flow does not.