GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

500+ whp GTI

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I personally like nannies off.
I'm going to try out the 034 metal upper/lower dog bone mounts though, and super pro control arms, and see if that helps. Given I hate everything I have bought from 034 so far i will probably regret it but cheap and easy to test it.

The 034 upper and lower will be fine. I run them. Don't take that as a recommendation of their other products though.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Detonation is not the issue, it's weak piston rings and rods not handling the torque. It's a good idea to have it built so you don't have to hone the block or heaven forbid a rod eject itself through it, piston slams into head, ruining that as well. Cheaper to use your own block then have to source another full engine.

Exactly and that's why I haven't been beating my car since the dyno tune.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I built my block as a preventive maintenance for exactly what Diggs said. I didnt wanna get stuck trying to source an engine because the walls got destroyed or rod went through the block.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I know this question has been tossed about a ton in the past, but now that there are more and more people running big turbo set ups on these cars what is considered the current consensus rough/approximate limit of what the stock blocks can safely handle hp & tq wise?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I know this question has been tossed about a ton in the past, but now that there are more and more people running big turbo set ups on these cars what is considered the current consensus rough/approximate limit of what the stock blocks can safely handle hp & tq wise?

I don't think there's a rule of thumb for that. Just too many variables to set a pure limit. Good maintenance, a reasonable tune as in not over boosting etc. Stock engines have blown.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I don't think there's a rule of thumb for that. Just too many variables to set a pure limit. Good maintenance, a reasonable tune as in not over boosting etc. Stock engines have blown.

yup makes sense. I suppose it is a crap shoot of sorts. Get a good tuner, do your build right, and hope for the best...but also be prepared for the worst if things take a shit!

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Little update here...

Ed and I have been messing around with adding more timing to see how she does and so we stopped at 15 degrees of timing. Ed said the turbo definitely has more in it but we didn't want to take it any further until I build my block. So with that, I will put my car back on the dyno to see where she's at, now that we added more timing. I will try to set that up sometime next week and post the results.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Ok, so the dyno (same place where I had the remote dyno tune) is scheduled for tomorrow at 1100. I will try to remember to take some video of the 3 pulls and will post everything in the afternoon.
Remember to log the runs and good luck.