GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time pulled over...some questions.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I chalk that up to exhaustion. Stupid weekend, I'm supposed to catch up on sleep not lose it!

haha I hear you, working on my second cup of coffee already...

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I got popped going 83 on the thruway. I knew I was nailed so I pulled over before the statey even put his lights on. He wrote me a ticket for "failure to obey a traffic device" which insurance will not find out about. The fine was $102 but the surcharge was a ridiculous $93 bring the total cost to $195. Id expect to pay something along those lines. I also think you should just pay and move on unless you feel like taking time off work and going to NY just to get your fine lowered (which may or may not happen).

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!
I know you guys are saying she gave me a break, but I don't think the actual officer gets involved unless you continue to plead not guilty. And because she gave me 74 on a 65 instead of 80, then isn't that the speed that she really tracked? Otherwise she would lying?

I think if I plead not guilty, I go to the court and then offered a deal to plead guilty, possibly no points, lesser fine?

Bro you fugged up, she cut you a deal. Deal with the consequences. 15 over to insurance companies is a massive red flag. Cops writing tickets for 9 over is used everywhere. They ALL do it. Lastly get a detector! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I have had multiple +15, +20 mph tickets. pay the fine, get supervision or do online driving school for a fee. The key is to just space out your tickets and they wont stay on your record or raise your insurance. I show no tickets on my record now. Usually its 3-6 months supervision, just dont get pulled over for another speeding offence in that time. Dont fear the police. You could get a nice radar detector for $400..but my thinking is that id rather spend that $400 over 2-3 tickets.

#boosted2016

jmul54

Ready to race!
Dont stress over it. Just pay the fine take the points and watch your speed for a while. I wouldnt waist my time trying to fight it.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
wow thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot about my parking ticket.
One hot dog ended up costing me almost $120...smh

Andrewg98

Passed Driver's Ed
If your family has a lawyer, you can usually have him take care of it by postponing it over and over until the cop doesn't show up. After that it could easily be dismissed. If not, pay the fine and be more careful next time! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
My first and only ticket was me getting pegged at 44 in a 30. Got a $65 "click-it ticket" for that one. Nicest cop I've ever met.

butchered by autocorrecr

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
My first and only ticket was me getting pegged at 44 in a 30. Got a $65 "click-it ticket" for that one. Nicest cop I've ever met.

butchered by autocorrecr

I'm guessing by that you mean a seat belt ticket? If so you guys have some lenient seat belt laws. We get 2 points for not wearing a seat belt.

geep_gti

Ready to race!
Some bad advice here I think. NEVER just pay the fine unless you haven't any choice. ANY points typically show up and cost you higher insurance. As posted above, it looks like this will cost you 3 points, and unless your insured by a company operating out of a cave, they'll raise your rates for a points violation.

First determine what the "trick" is in your state to dodge the points. It differs from state to state. In some states you can pay a lawyer $75-100+ to handle it. He goes to the prosecutor with a handful of tickets/clients, and they get reduced to non-moving violations (excessive noise, etc.), with no points, but higher fines assessed. They get paid, you dodge points/insurance hikes, everybody wins in their eyes.

In other states, you can opt for "driving classes" - upon completion your charge is dismissed or "adjudicated". There typically is a limit to the number of times this can be done (once a year, once every 3 years, etc.).

Typically it doesn't work to plead not-guilty and hope they plea-bargain with you. And try to make sure you will definitely get an option for driving class when appearing if that's the route you have to go. I've seen issues where people showed up for court, pleaded guilty, and assume they will be sent to class but it doesn't happen and they've wasted their time showing up only to receive the same points/penalty (sometimes more! - court costs) as they would have by mailing the payment in.

There is no record of your actual speed if the cop wrote you for 74 rather than some higher speed. But never think that further incriminating yourself is a good idea, and even if the MPH is off a bit, it doesn't change the speeding charge so is not a detail that would result in an acquittal of charges.

Don't assume you won't get any further/worse tickets and you should just suck it up and take this one. It will cost you more in insurance, and eats up your points which could cause you trouble later if you were tagged for a larger offense carrying more points. The small ones are usually easier/cheaper to make go away.

jmdeis11

Ready to race!
I have no idea what most of these people are talking about. Have you guys ever gotten a ticket? This is not complicated.

All you have to do is show up on your court date to plead not guilty and they lower your fine. Most places have set amounts that they drop it to (ie if you were 20 over, they automatically drop it to 10 over, 10 over they drop it to x, etc). There's no negotiation, they don't care what your reason for speeding was, you're not going to get out of the ticket. It's about money.