GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
More shop shenanigans today.

Started making a YouTube short, but ran out of time so we’ll wrap that up tomorrow or sometime later this week.

Between the Chaser Tour V (not pictured)

IMG_1846.jpegIMG_1847.jpeg

IMG_1850.jpeg
IMG_1861.jpeg

& R34 it’s definitely JDM week, but I did use the Mk7 to haul materials.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Oil on the spark plug threads is a leaking cam bridge. It's not an immediate fix provided it's just a little oil. Keep an eye on it and you'll need a cam bridge reseal sometime in the future. 1 and 4 have a little oil on them for me, I'm just keeping an eye on it for now.
What's a cam bridge? I thought thread oil is a leaking valve cover gasket.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Installed the European SS, Mk5 metal side to side lever, DG Super Slider, and front Zimmerman rotors with Power stop brake pads over the weekend. Ran out of time to do a brake flush so maybe this coming weekend.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Scooty Puff Jr
Does getting your car dialed in by EQT count as something I did to her today? Might have to get me one of those fancy down pipes from @GTI Jake though! But she feels good!
Do it, all the cool kids are :cool: mine should be coming by the weekend and then it's party time baby

do I get the stage 2 tune right away, or wait for it to be a little cheaper with a presumed sale in November for boost weather?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Why are people installing the 8 version?

To reduce oil ingestion/smoking on track. Not really a problem on street. There's a whole thread on it by DerHase

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
To reduce oil ingestion/smoking on track. Not really a problem on street. There's a whole thread on it by DerHase
oh theres my answer

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Changed spark plugs and oil last week and found a leaky tire =(

I've been kinda absent on the "scene" lately - are MK8 PCV's an upgrade/bolt on for our cars? Is that a common upgrade people are doing now?
Not all that common yet, in August user DerHase made a great document showing the MK7 PCV's shortcomings along with the shortcomings of oil catch cans on our cars. The new MK8 PCV valve looks to have some significant engineering improvements and some early data looks promising. Read about it here.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Do you have a thread detailing the process?
The most thorough information on the physical install of additional LEDs is by @IWMTom, in this thread. I can not imagine it being described, detailed and pictured any better.

Now as for the actual LEDs there are a few choices...
  • You can get one of the kits that was used in the above mentioned thread. These are non-OEM LEDs with custom controllers. They can be used on facelift or non-facelift cars.
  • You can just do single color LEDs... easiest way to do this is just order a dashboard/rear door "stick" kit from Ali Express...
  • Finally, the OEM (nearly, as this wasn't an OEM option on the Golf) is to install separate LEDs, all controlled by the BCM (must be a facelift BCM) and the Infotainment (must be at least MIB 2)