GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RGB Ambient Lighting (hopes/dreams)... pre-facelift Mk7

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Expectation Setting First, this is not a DIY although it may (hopefully) become one at some point.
It has been said this is not possible/will not work, and that may still be correct in the end.

First post is a placeholder/state of the project/random thoughts post more than anything else. Subsequent posts will be responses as I find things, and hopefully get some input from people interested in the same thing.

Quick overview of what I've found thus far... all of this on my 2015 TDI, BCM High Part Number and Software 5Q0-937-087-S
  • BCM has all the LIN Bus Adaptations that are present on facelift BCM's and will accept changes
  • BCM has 3 (sets of) RGB color lists, where facelift BCM's have either 10 or 30 depending on software version
    • On facelift BCM's these determine the colors shown in the Ambient RGB color slider
      • On my pre-facelift there is no adaptation to enable this color list slider (more on that later)
    • So I'm not sure why these 3 sets exist in my BCM... but there are adaptations to set colors based on driving profile
      • These adaptations seem to reference the RGB color list but that's going down another path, maybe towards AID/Infotainment accent color by profile
  • BCM has the ability to enable a color list drop down, and these colors show properly on the Ambient Lights infotainment picture
    • I can currently show footwell and dash strip lighting depiction, not yet able to get door strip/handle/pocket
    • although a dump of my MIB (using @Chillout's Toolbox) shows the door strip/handle/pocket images are present
    • Current list of colors is White, Warm White, Orange, Red, Blue, and Turquoise
      • White and Warm White look the same on the infotainment screen, maybe they'll be different with the actual lights
      • Any combination of those colors can be shown in the dropdown
  • On facelift BCM's (and similarly capable BCM's on other MQB vehicles) ambient light colors are set via LIN bus
    • This is BCM Plug C Pin 29, which I visually confirmed is present on my BCM
    • The presence of the pin and my BCM accepting all these adaptations is a good sign but doesn't mean anything until I connect something there
    • FWIW, my old BCM Low did not have the pins for fog lights and would not accept any fog light coding

In subsequent posts I will 100% post the adaptations that I'm messing around with. I will also 1000% be posting links to some other sites (mostly Drive2, but also some other places) to give credit for tons of info that has got me to the point of being able to "explore" this possibility.

And finally, some low quality exploration progress pics for attention...
Ambient 1.JPGAmbient 2.JPGFootwells and Dash.JPGPlug C Pin 29.png

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I do have some requests. If anybody can help I would really appreciate it 🙏
  • Facelift Golf R, GTI or Mk7(?) GLI module coding and adaptation maps for the following
    • BCM (09), Infotainment (5F), Instrument Cluster (17), Gateway (19) and Door Controller (42 and 52)
  • If someone has these, please also let me know your car region and options...
    • RGB lighting, single, or two color lighting (ROW only I think)
      • equipped lights... footwell, door strip/handles/pockets/sills, dash strip, etc.
    • Selectable AID and/or Infotainment Color (manual slider selection and/or color by driving profile)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ordered an Audi A4 full RGB kit from Ali. It comes with the lights and connectors. Saves me time, frustration and money. The RGB modules are anywhere from $35-50/each direct from Audi (if even available). I actually have in-hand a couple of the footwell modules, 8W0947415A and B and small pigtail. I plan to experiment with this. The plugs are different, although nothing that a razor can't fix. But if you wanted to install the same light in all positions and don't want to modify connectors you would need to look up the right connector for each light.

Blah blah, the current plan outline (soft) is as follows, with part numbers:

Footwells (normal, rectangular) PN 8W0947415 A, B, C, D (FL, FR, RL, RR)
- These should respond to the same LIN group (14, and 13 maybe)
- In theory you could install 8W0947415A in all four positions
- In that case a failed light would not be correctly reported (assuming per-light fault reporting)
- I may not enable the fault reporting for these LIN channels anyway, we'll see

Door pocket (square-ish) PN 8W0919390 A, B, E, F (FL, FR, RL, RR)
- These should respond to LIN groups 7, 8, 9, 10 respectively
- Same thing again, could install the same part number in all spots

Front Door handles/strips (RGB module with short wire extension) PN 8W0947355 C, D, Hx2 (FL, FR, FL/R strip)
- I think C and D should be handle-strips (this is one light guide on the A4)
- I think H should be the standalone strip (second on the A4 door panel, aft of the handle-strip)
- No sensible guess as to the LIN group(s), will have to experiment

Rear Door handles/strips (RGB module with short wire extension) PN 8W0947355 E, F, Jx2 (RL, RR, RL/R strip)
- I think E and F should be the handle-strips
- I think J should be the standalone strips

Cupholder (RGB modules, no extension) PN 8W0947355 L, K
- These might be LIN group 6
- Planning to use one for cupholder, other for cigarette lighter surround
- On the A4 there is a light guide for each cupholder, I'll have to play with making this work/look nice

Center Console PN 8W0947093 and 094
- Planning to use one for the storage/USB cubby, the other for something cool involving my shifter.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Not sure anybody here cares about this, haha, but progress must continue...

So I've now got a handle on getting ambient lights to show up on the display... previously could not get door strip/handle/pocket graphics or the "sun" adjustment icon to show, even though I saw those graphic files in the dump of my MIB.

As mentioned before the, following set of adaptations (09) determine which features will show... see https://www.drive2.ru/l/600455120752220083/.
Code:
IDE11477-ENG128659-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambientelicht_verbauinformation_HMI       0    256
IDE11477-ENG128660-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambientelicht_verbauinformation_HMI_2 0 256
IDE11477-ENG128661-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambientelicht_verbauinformation_HMI_3 0 256
IDE11477-ENG128662-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambientelicht_verbauinformation_HMI_4 0 256

- There are 22 features (door strips, rear door strips, door pockets, door handles, front footwells, gear shift, front background, etc.).
- Certain features are associated with a specific zone. For example door strips, handles, pockets and speaker lights are part of the DOOR zone.
- When activating a feature via the above adaptations, you are activating that zone (by association) on the display.
- Each zone you activate will have a "sun" graphic that allows control of the brightness for the active features of that zone.
--- You do not have to activate all the features of a specific zone... for example you can activate door strips/handles without activating pockets/speakers.

- The value for these adaptations is entered as the decimal equivalent of an 8 bit binary string, as below...
Code:
IDE11477-ENG128659-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambientelicht_verbauinformation_HMI
00000001 - 1 - Front Footwells
00000010 - 2 - Rear Footwells
00000100 - 4 - Front Background (dash strip on my Golf)
00001000 - 8 - Unknown
00010000 - 16 - Center Console
00100000 - 32 - Nav Device Strip
01000000 - 64 - Front Slider
10000000 - 128 - Front Climate Control Strip

To enable front footwells and door strip this channel gets set to: 5
To enable rear footwells and center console channel gets set to: 18
To enable everything channel would get set to: 255

Okay... so on my car I have the following values right now
IDE11477-ENG128659-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambientelicht_verbauinformation_HMI: 7
- Front footwells, rear footwells, and front background
IDE11477-ENG128660-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambientelicht_verbauinformation_HMI_2: 84
- Door handle, front door strip, front door pocket (see the above link for the HMI 2, 3, 4 feature lists)

Now then, the following set of adaptations (09) determine whether the verbauinformation features above are single color (white) or multicolored...
Code:
IDE11477-ENG128655-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI    0    256
IDE11477-ENG128656-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI_2 0 256
IDE11477-ENG128657-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI_3 0 256
IDE11477-ENG128658-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI_4 0 256

The values here entered the same way, decimal equivalent of an 8 bit binary string
Code:
IDE11477-ENG128655-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI
00000001 - 1 - Roof
00000010 - 2 - Rear roof
00000100 - 4 - Front footwells
00001000 - 8 - Front background
00010000 - 16 - Front door handle
00100000 - 32 - Rear door
01000000 - 64 - ?
10000000 - 128 - ?

To make font footwells and front door handles multicolored this channel is set to: 20
To make roof, and front background multicolored this channel is set to: 9

In my car right now I have the following values
IDE11477-ENG128655-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI: 28
- Front footwells, front background and rear door handle multicolored
IDE11477-ENG128656-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI_2: 4
- Front door strip multicolored
IDE11477-ENG128656-Interior lighting: parameter-p_ambienteumfang_mehrfarbig_HMI_3: 40
- Front door pocket and gear shift multicolored (more on the gear shift later)

The last part of getting graphical representation and "sun" adjustment icons to display is the following set of adaptations...
Code:
IDE09732-ENG115870-Interior light: light configuration-Ambiente_Applikationsleisten_in_Instrumententafel    not installed     2
IDE09732-ENG115871-Interior light: light configuration-Ambiente_Applikationsleisten_in_Tuertafel not installed 2
IDE09732-ENG115872-Interior light: light configuration-Ambiente_Lautsprecher not installed 2
IDE09732-ENG126836-Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen not active 2
IDE09732-ENG126835-Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit globalem aus not active 2
IDE09732-ENG125646-Interior light: light configuration-Cockpitbeleuchtung not installed 2
IDE09732-ENG125648-Interior light: light configuration-Dachbeleuchtung not installed 2
IDE09732-ENG125651-Interior light: light configuration-Farbwahl ueber Fahrprofil not installed 2
IDE09732-ENG125650-Interior light: light configuration-Farbwahl ueber HMI not installed 2
IDE09732-ENG114629-Interior light: light configuration-Footwell lighting installed 2
IDE09732-ENG126834-Interior light: light configuration-LIN-Dachkonsole lokal aktivierbar not active 2
IDE09732-ENG125647-Interior light: light configuration-Mittelkonsolenbeleuchtung not installed 2
IDE09732-ENG125649-Interior light: light configuration-Panoramaschiebedachbeleuchtung not installed 2

- The "installed/not installed" channels here determine which Zones CAN be shown on the infotainment
- This is different from the verbauinformation channels which determine which features (and associated zones) WILL be shown
- That is, if I set front footwells active in verbauinformation_HMI but I have light configuration-Footwell lighting "not installed" there will be no depiction of footwell lights on my screen, nor will the "sun" adjustment icon show.
--- This was the problem I mentioned in an earlier post, where the door lighting wasn't showing up... light configuration-Ambiente_Applikationsleisten_in_Tuertafel (doors) was set to "not installed"

IDE09732-ENG126836-Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit alle Zonen
- Setting this to active gets you the cabin picture, showing the zones/features you have active, along with their color and adjustment icons
IDE09732-ENG126835-Interior light: light configuration-Ambientemenue mit globalem aus
- Setting this to active gives you the button to adjust all active zones to the same brightness at once, instead of individually adjusting suns
IDE09732-ENG125651-Interior light: light configuration-Farbwahl ueber Fahrprofil
- Translates to "color selection via driving profile" although I haven't figured out how to assign colors to a given profile
--- There are channels for this assignment on facelift BCM's
--- Possibly the defaults (red for sport, blue for normal, green for eco) are stored somewhere, but I haven't got this to work... yet (hopefully)
IDE09732-ENG125650-Interior light: light configuration-Farbwahl ueber HMI
- Translates to "color selection via HMI"
- I now suspect this enables the color selection, while the channel mentioned in Post #4 only sets the colors that will be in the drop down
--- IDE11477-ENG128654-Interior lighting: parameter-p_farbauswahl_HMI

That's it for now. I have lights and harnesses on hand though so hopefully test some things this weekend. And pictures (previously posted in what did you today thread)...
PXL_20220112_015905763.jpg

PXL_20220112_015813045.MP.jpg

PXL_20220112_015846234.jpg

Note in the last picture. "Gear Shift" is a feature for which there is no picture for a Golf. Instead there is the placeholder graphic that just says "gear shift." In a dump of the MIB graphics (using Chillout's MIB Toolbox) you will find there are placeholder graphics for every feature. However, not every car has every feature so in the Golf folder there are placeholders for things like roof graphics. While the Tiguan folder has actual graphics there for panoramic roof ambient lights. Still you can enable/adjust every feature (even those with a placeholder like gear shift). I plan to replace this "gear shift" placeholder graphic with an actual graphic for a light I plan to install. We'll see how that goes, haha.
PXL_20220112_020935495.MP.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Late night and early morning thoughts about driving profile/manual colors in the AID...

- There are cars (Seat Leon something comes to mind) that have dual color ambient lighting... Red in sport, White in all other modes.
- Need to find a scan/diagram for this but I would assume these lights are driven by the BCM in the "traditional," read non-LIN bus manner, using a couple Leuchte channels.
--- If I'm unlucky, that's what IDE09732-ENG125651-Interior light: light configuration-Farbwahl ueber Fahrprofil channel is referring to.
- Facelift BCM's also have a few adaptations regarding driving profile/ambient lights that my BCM does not have.

This is from instructions on the briskoda.net forum... https://www.briskoda.net/forums/top...ground-lighting/?tab=comments#comment-5254366
Code:
Module 09 (Central Electrics)
Security access -> 31347
Adaptation
Submenu - Int. Light, 2nd generation
- Ambiente_Farbwahl_FPA_waehlbare_Kopplung -> active (Default not active)
- Ambiente_Farbwahl_Individual -> 1 (Default 7)
- Ambiente_Farbwahl_FPA_waehlbare_Kopplung_Status_hmi_default -> coupled (Default active)

Submenu - Ambientelicht Zuordnung der Farbe zum Fahrprofil
- Fahrprofil_0: 5 - Coming/leaving home (door open and car off)
- Fahrprofil_1: 1 - Comfort (Golf R, Tiguan, and?)
- Fahrprofil_2: 3 - Normal
- Fahrprofil_3: 4 - Sport (not present in Golf R)
- Fahrprofil_4: 1 - Offroad (only Tiguan?)
- Fahrprofil_5: 9 - Eco
- Fahrprofil_6: 1 - Race? (Golf R and Tiguan?)
- Fahrprofil_7: 7 - Individual
- Fahrprofil_8: 1
- Fahrprofil_9: 1
- Fahrprofil_10: 1 - Snow (only Tiguan?)
- Fahrprofil_11: 1
- Fahrprofil_12: 1
- Fahrprofil_13: 1
- Fahrprofil_14: 1
- Fahrprofil_15: 1
Note this snip, from an Oktavia Mk III forum, seems to have been copied from an OBDeleven post (with broken link) about a Golf Mk7.5
There is also gateway long coding FPA_Funktion_AMB -> active (Byte 11 Bit 7)
-
I do not see this in my 5Q0 Gateway, possibly requires upgrade to 3Q0 (which might happen anyway for Mk8 MFSW, but that's off topic)

On the hopeful side regarding manual color change of the AID, there is IDE09731-ENG125017-Int. light: 2nd generation-Instrumententafelbeleuchtung mehrfarbig
- I have not set this to active yet but it translates to "Multicolored instrument panel lighting"
--- Also note that "Instrumententafel" by itself translates to dashboard
- I would assume also need to set IDE09732-ENG115870-Interior light: light configuration-Ambiente_Applikationsleisten_in_Instrumententafel - active
---
I thought this an odd channel because it doesn't seem to correspond to a lighting Zone... dashboard makes sense, but that's probably confirmation bias

2018gti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn 6M
This is amazing research, great work. And thank you for deciphering those “verbauinformation” bits!! I’ve been wondering if it was possible to color the trim on the dashboard (above glovebox).

I followed that Skoda forum post and my analog gauges change color (just the 1 pixel line). So it must have been one of those adaptations that enabled that. I enabled color by driving profile too by following the post.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is amazing research, great work. And thank you for deciphering those “verbauinformation” bits!! I’ve been wondering if it was possible to color the trim on the dashboard (above glovebox).

I followed that Skoda forum post and my analog gauges change color (just the 1 pixel line). So it must have been one of those adaptations that enabled that. I enabled color by driving profile too by following the post.
Is yours a facelift car? Do you have the ambient lighting color lists (with slider) and the adaptations to assign colors based on driving profile?

I have neither of those, but I have not enabled the verbauinformation bit for instrument panel (dashboard) yet. Even though I have the dropdown to select colors (instead of the slider) I'm still hoping it will change the AID color. I didn't see any mention of 17-Instrument coding which I would have expected, but maybe none is needed.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@gixxerfool I've pulled in parts of this project from all over the place... This forum, Vortex, Ross-Tech, PassatWorld, AudiZine, Drive2.ru, Seatcupra.net, glaskugelservice.de, vwcoding.ru, OBDEleven, Facebook (minimally, haha), etc. I will post the links of interest into the OP at some point. I have tabs open on my desktop, laptop, phone, work computer, etc.

I'll take some credit for (trying to) figure out what applies to non-facelift cars, haha. Besides the facelift/non-facelift thing the biggest hurdle is the number of dependencies within the coding. From a nerd perspective I love how complex and granular the lighting settings are within the BCM... it's seriously impressive. From a tweaking/retrofit perspective it's a nightmare given I have no manuals/documentation about how it all works and I don't know German.

The information spread out everywhere is good but comes with one downside. In almost every case of people sharing they only share the changes they made. Not to say I blame them (I appreciate they are sharing at all) because the dependencies are not well documented. When you (or I) make a change that worked for someone it often looks like it didn't work for us because there was some dependent adaptation change we didn't know we needed to make. And the settings in these dependent adaptations seem to be random from car to car, which is understandable because these adaptations aren't "doing" anything with the car in stock configuration.
verbauinfo_HMI_x channels. These determine which features will show on the Ambient Lights page.
- In many places the recommendation is to change this value to 255 (or the binary equivalent 11111111) to get footwells/doors to show up
- You can change it as recommended, but technically that enables all of the below:
--- front footwells, rear footwells, front background lighting, center console, navi device strip, front slider, front climate strip, gear shift, rear door (strip), center console, front door pocket, rear door pocket, door handles
- But you won't know it enabled all those things (which your car doesn't have) because other channels determine what can on the Ambient Ligths Page
--- If these channels don't allow center console lighting to show then it doesn't matter that you erroneously enabled gear shift lighting in verbauinfo_HMI

Another example is the conditional brightness channels, of which there are 16 for each lighting zone (footwell given below)
Code:
p_adaption_kundenwunsch_fussraum → 0.67
p_helligkeit_entriegelt_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_max_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_HD_auf_zuendung_ein_fussraum → 126
p_helligkeit_HD_auf_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 127
p_helligkeit_dieseTuer_auf_zuendung_ein_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_andereTuer_auf_zuendung_ein_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_Fzg_geschlossen_zuendung_ein_fussraum → 126
p_helligkeit_dieseTuer_auf_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_andereTuer_auf_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_einausstieg_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_Fzg_geschlossen_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 127
p_helligkeit_Tueren_geschlossen_HD_auf_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_Tueren_geschlossen_HD_zu_zuendung_aus_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_Tueren_geschlossen_schluessel_ab_fussraum → 100
p_helligkeit_Fzg_geschlossen_schluessel_ab_fussraum → 100
- I am including translations for all of these the spreadsheet I'm working on.
- But the first, adaption_kundenwunsch_fussraum roughly translates to "customer request footwell"
- This is given a value from 0.00-1.00 (unlike the rest of these which are given from 0-127), where 0.00 = 0 VDC and 1.00 = 12 VDC
--- As an aside, this is not the voltage going to the given LED, as they are connected directly to Terminal 30 (battery) and always have 12 VDC
--- Instead it is the maximum voltage that a given light will use for illumination (LIN bus controlled, via the slider on the infotainment)
- In any case, all of those 0-127 conditional values seem to be a percentage of the max voltage allowed by kundenwunsch
- So if kundenwunsch is set to 0.00 it doesn't matter how you configure anything else, that zone will not light up

I spent a few hours (until my laptop died) messing around with the brightness settings this weekend without getting anything to illuminate. Then went inside to continue translating things and stumbled across the above info about kundenwunsch on the Passat World forum. I didn't get back to the car to see if that ultimately gets these lights working, but I am hopeful.

Another good sign is I am now getting (soft) faults when disconnecting an RGB light. That suggests that my BCM is now expecting to "see" the lights I have set to installed on the LIN bus, which ultimately controls everything (each LED gets +12V, LIN bus, and Ground).

The different part number RGB LED's each have a hard coded LIN channel to which they respond. I don't know the RGB LED to LIN channel assignments though and the info I've found is conflicting. In any case, I have a systematic (though time consuming) way to get through this. Hopefully I get to that later this week.

Last edited:

2018gti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn 6M
Is yours a facelift car? Do you have the ambient lighting color lists (with slider) and the adaptations to assign colors based on driving profile?

I have neither of those, but I have not enabled the verbauinformation bit for instrument panel (dashboard) yet. Even though I have the dropdown to select colors (instead of the slider) I'm still hoping it will change the AID color. I didn't see any mention of 17-Instrument coding which I would have expected, but maybe none is needed.
Facelift, yup. I lucked out, I have it set up for 30 colors with the slider and it has a choice for Manual or Auto (driving profile) modes.

I'm not sure what my verbauinformation is set to, it's likely all still the "11111111" coding, which I'd like to fix at some point. It could be the "Instrumententafelbeleuchtung mehrfarbig -> active" that did it, I'm not sure. Definitely no coding in the dashboard module was done.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
So I have a slightly off topic, yet lighting related question for you, since you've dug so far into lighting coding...

I have an aftermarket digital dash. It doesn't have the sun/lighting sensor in it the stock dashes have. I have a GTI, which has that little slider knob near the headlight/foglighy knob. That would raise/lower the brightness of all the interior lighting. With the digital dash in, that does nothing. The problem I have, is my infotainment screen is too bright at night, even on the "darkest" setting in the options.

Do you know if there is a way to add a slider for infotainment screen brightness in the lightning menu?